PDA

View Full Version : Ed Miller's SSHE (hand quizes) how long did it take everyone else??

08-25-2005, 11:36 PM
I've just finished reading SSHE for the second time, the first time I did'nt really get to much from it so I read it again with much more attention,and felt like I learned a lot more, that is untill I did the hand quiz section. pre flop was not to bad probably 85% correct. Post flop about 50/50. Turn play, wow, about 3-4 correct, but I did'nt really know why it was correct,river play did'nt even try. So finally my question, for those of you who did very well on the hand quizes and play well, how long did it take and did you read the book a lot, or should I be getting it by now? Thanks and I really appreciate the feed back and the honesty?

dantheman_05
08-25-2005, 11:49 PM
that book is so damn good. read it and understand every topic. if you have any questions send me a private message. dont be in a rush to finish it, i still read it on a weekly basis

Pov
08-26-2005, 01:06 AM
There are two parts to the concepts involved in solid post-flop play. 1) Understanding the concepts and 2) Understanding when to use which ones. You've probably mostly absorbed #1, but haven't gained the necessary intuition to determine which concepts you should be focusing on in a particular situation. The only way I know of to do this is practice think practice think read think practice think. . . .

TaoTe
08-26-2005, 11:29 AM
I think a great idea would be for a 2+2er to create their own hand quiz and offer it to other players. My thinking is that after you've read and done the quizzes, doing them again will only help so much because you may remember some of the answers but not the theory or concept behind the play. If done right, eternal glory would be bestowed upon the brilliant mind who did this.

AKQJ10
08-26-2005, 11:50 AM
Excellent idea! Rather than one person taking on the burden of writing a Milleresque hand quiz (without the financial reward of selling books), how about if we share the work and each contribute a problem or two?

An additional benefit would be that contributors would learn a great deal through feedback to their quizzes. For example, let's say I take a problem about "rasing to buy outs" and adapt it, but I screw it up so that raising to buy outs is no longer the best approach. Someone else points that out and fixes it or somehow improves it, and now I've gained an insight about when raising to buy outs is appropriate. By the way, that's a very real-world example -- I'm still not sure I apply buying outs only at the right times.

For further brainstorming: Is there any way the wiki could help organize this project? Or is it more suited to a message board where each person "owns" their particular post?

Pov
08-26-2005, 12:14 PM
I think this is a pretty cool idea, too and I've seen it sort of done before a few times in the micro/small limit forum - though it was more of a here's 5 starting hands from the BB when this happens - what do you do sort of thing. In fact, in many ways, posted hand histories seeking advice are like hand quizzes - really it's just a matter of picking "good" ones that truly illustrate a particular concept or blend of concepts. It's been a long time since I posted a hand of my own. /images/graemlins/frown.gif I'm going to start paying attention over the next week and see if I can find some good ones where I actually had a clear, but non-obvious decision that would make a good quiz question. No promises though - I think my play has been a little uninspired recently.

aargh57
08-26-2005, 02:54 PM
I think this is a great idea and would like to contribute. Like AKQJT987654321 said, even if you screw it up it could be beneficial by rewriting the question. However, I think that perhaps we should confine it to non pre-flop questions. I say this because this could end up being a pretty big project and since pre-flop is the easiest part I think that a database of 15 or 20 post-flop hands would be better appreciated. As to the original post, I recently reread SSH for about the 4th or 5th time and am still getting some wrong. I got 100% preflop, 80% flop, 93% turn, but missed 4 of 9 for only 56% river. I would reiterate POV, practice, practice, practice.

08-26-2005, 07:04 PM
I would like to thank every one for there input, it helps a lot just getting some feed back. That would be cool if we could get something going with the hand quiz idea I think that would be very helpful to beginners and more experienced players alike. Once again thanks, and please keep a post if we can get a hand quiz forum post set up.
Jeff