PDA

View Full Version : Ed Miller's SSHE (hand quizes) how long did it take everyone else??

08-25-2005, 11:32 PM
I've just finished reading SSHE for the second time, the first time I did'nt really get to much from it so I read it again with much more attention,and felt like I learned a lot more, that is untill I did the hand quiz section. pre flop was not to bad probably 85% correct. Post flop about 50/50. Turn play, wow, about 3-4 correct, but I did'nt really know why it was correct,river play did'nt even try. So finally my question, for those of you who did very well on the hand quizes and play well, how long did it take and did you read the book a lot, or should I be getting it by now? Thanks and I really appreciate the feed back and the honesty?

Cancuk
08-25-2005, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've just finished reading SSHE for the second time, the first time I did'nt really get to much from it so I read it again with much more attention,and felt like I learned a lot more, that is untill I did the hand quiz section. pre flop was not to bad probably 85% correct. Post flop about 50/50. Turn play, wow, about 3-4 correct, but I did'nt really know why it was correct,river play did'nt even try. So finally my question, for those of you who did very well on the hand quizes and play well, how long did it take and did you read the book a lot, or should I be getting it by now? Thanks and I really appreciate the feed back and the honesty?

[/ QUOTE ]
i'm sorry for being a dink, but, is that a question?

08-26-2005, 12:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've just finished reading SSHE for the second time, the first time I did'nt really get to much from it so I read it again with much more attention,and felt like I learned a lot more, that is untill I did the hand quiz section. pre flop was not to bad probably 85% correct. Post flop about 50/50. Turn play, wow, about 3-4 correct, but I did'nt really know why it was correct,river play did'nt even try. So finally my question , for those of you who did very well on the hand quizes and play well, how long did it take and did you read the book a lot, or should I be getting it by now? Thanks and I really appreciate the feed back and the honesty?

[/ QUOTE ]
i'm sorry for being a dink, but, is that a question?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry for being a dink, but, is that an answer. I don't see what's so confusing about the question? I'm simply asking how long it took people to get his hand quizes correct and win at a consistant rate?

cap11
08-26-2005, 01:07 AM
I have just gone through my 3rd reading of the book. I still find lots of new tips that I missed the 1st and 2nd reading.

I still have trouble with some of the hand quizes, but I did much better after my 3rd reading. I may go for my 4th reading in a few weeks. In my mind it is truly a great book.

diebitter
08-26-2005, 06:49 AM
Good book and quizzes, but I'm entering noob-intermediate now, and I still don't get that example where it's something like

Qh7h, and the flop is something like Th7sX, and he says folding or calling are majorly wrong, and you should be raising!

If anyone's got the book to hand, please correct if I'm wrong, but if anyone knows what I means and knows why you should raise, I'd really appreciate it. I've looked at it over and over again, and it looks like a call/fold decision to me /images/graemlins/smile.gif

stigmata
08-26-2005, 09:29 AM
I can't remember this example, but I think the gist might be this: If you decide to continue with the hand, you need to fold out all the people with overcards, gutshots etc. Your pot equity is much better if you can fold these hands out. If you call at small stakes, you will get plenty of calls behind, and half the pack on the turn is a scare card. Better to raise and try and get it HU.

You have a backdoor draw + middle pair + overcard so it's worth playing the hand, but you get more equity by folding people out.

I could be wrong, I am completely guessing, LOL /images/graemlins/cool.gif

diebitter
08-26-2005, 10:15 AM
Thanks, that brings some sense to it.

cincy_kid24
08-26-2005, 10:57 AM
Hey Diebitter,
I think the example yu give is a little oversimplified but yu have sec pair w/ a backdoor flush draw. Obviously I think a lot of the specific hand advice is geared toward loose games so in that vein yu might actually have the best hand at that point with the 7 but it would be very vulnerable which is why raising seems to be the correct play w/o taking into account pot size, # of players and so on.
PS - In all honesty though I think even Ed Miller would lean toward folding in that marginal situation, lol, i know i would

diebitter
08-26-2005, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In all honesty though I think even Ed Miller would lean toward folding in that marginal situation, lol, i know i would

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree, I think it's a clear fold unless there's a stack on players in, but in the book I think the words are something like 'folding or calling here are both huge mistakes'! I don't think so.

bernie
08-26-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
PS - In all honesty though I think even Ed Miller would lean toward folding in that marginal situation,

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it. He explains in his book why you raise in that spot.

b

MicroBob
08-26-2005, 03:48 PM
i believe this is the hand that he used in the introduction to post-flop play.

You need to understand this stuff.
Ed does a terrific job of explaining the logic behind raising with middle pair when he does.

IMO, most of the hand-examples in the quizzes are REALLY easy after reading the text. I actually complained that the quizzes were TOO easy and that he didn't include enough borderline decisions.

If you are scoring that badly on the quizzes then you have to go back and REALLY re-read it. Absorb it, highlight stuff if that helps, study it. Everything.
Read it until you get it.
And keep going over the hand-quizzes over and over too.

you need to really be getting this stuff.

If you are reading it and thinking "ok. well, that's pretty obvious." and then you aren't doing so hot on the hand-quiz section in the back THEN you weren't really getting the stuff in the text in the first place.

08-26-2005, 07:11 PM
I would like to thank every one for there input, it helps a lot just getting some feed back. So thanks again,
Jeff