PDA

View Full Version : Ed Miller's SSHE (hand quizes) how long did it take everyone else??

08-25-2005, 11:30 PM
I've just finished reading SSHE for the second time, the first time I did'nt really get to much from it so I read it again with much more attention,and felt like I learned a lot more, that is untill I did the hand quiz section. pre flop was not to bad probably 85% correct. Post flop about 50/50. Turn play, wow, about 3-4 correct, but I did'nt really know why it was correct,river play did'nt even try. So finally my question, for those of you who did very well on the hand quizes and play well, how long did it take and did you read the book a lot, or should I be getting it by now? Thanks and I really appreciate feed back and the honesty?

soweak.
08-25-2005, 11:31 PM
it took my about 3-4 readings (seriously) and deep review of my play after 10,000 hands before I truly felt comfortable with all the concepts in SSHE.

Petteri
08-26-2005, 03:04 AM
I feel that I have some idea of playing limit holdem after reading SSHE twice, Holdem for advanced players 4-5 times and analysing my play for around 3-4 months.

I have also read several other poker books of which I found "Theory of Poker", "How good is your limit holdem?", "Super System 2" and "Psychology of Poker" very useful for limit holdem player. Hand quizzes in "How good is your limit holdem?" by Ciaffone were very interesting and I discovered some leaks in my game.

SSHE is just one book. Proper understanding of limit holdem does not come at once. It takes a lot of practice. SSHE is good book to start with, but I would suggest some additional reading. You could buy books like "Holdem for Advanced players", "Middle Limit Holdem" and "How good your limit holdem?" and try figure out what are the main factors considering decision in limit holdem.

Harv72b
08-26-2005, 03:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I did'nt really know why it was correct

[/ QUOTE ]

That's it, eseentially. Reading the book (and these forums) will advance your development a helluva lot faster than trying to figure it all out yourself, but when it gets down to it, experience is essential. As you play more and more hands, put yourself into more of the same situations the hand quizzes are based on, and see the results time after time for yourself...that's when it will all start to click.

Remember that the key to properly implementing SSH into your game is not to memorize what you're supposed to do in various cookie-cutter situations, but to understand why you should be doing it. Some people might get that right away, but for most of us it takes months or years of play and regular reviews of the book.

davet
08-26-2005, 03:14 AM
It took me about five reads and a few dozen live hours. Don't be too ashamed of losing at first, it took me three days to pull down my very first pot.

Other books to buy are: Gambling Theory and Other Topics, Theory of Poker, Caro's Bood of Poker Tells.

08-26-2005, 07:07 PM
I would like to thank every one for there input, it helps a lot just getting some feed back. So thanks again,
Jeff

bravos1
08-26-2005, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It took me about five reads and a few dozen live hours. Don't be too ashamed of losing at first, it took me three days to pull down my very first pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.. 3 days.. now those are some stale cards!!! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

KramerTM
08-26-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've just finished reading SSHE for the second time, the first time I did'nt really get to much from it so I read it again with much more attention,and felt like I learned a lot more, that is untill I did the hand quiz section. pre flop was not to bad probably 85% correct. Post flop about 50/50. Turn play, wow, about 3-4 correct, but I did'nt really know why it was correct,river play did'nt even try. So finally my question, for those of you who did very well on the hand quizes and play well, how long did it take and did you read the book a lot, or should I be getting it by now? Thanks and I really appreciate feed back and the honesty?

[/ QUOTE ]

My confession is that I never really read the entire book the whole way through! I always end up discovering some new concept within the first 150 pages that I just like tend to think about and incorproatre into my play for weeks. Anyone else similar in this regard?