PDA

View Full Version : wisdom teeth out, face swollen as hell 3 days later

Eegs
08-25-2005, 11:11 PM
I got my wisdom teeth taken out on Monday. It is now Thursday and I still look like a [censored] chipmunk with my huge cheeks. Is this normal? I've also got some bruising now on the lower left side of my face...Anybody with similar wsidom teeth experience? How long before it goes away? Any chance of an infection?

Turkish
08-25-2005, 11:14 PM
My memories of the extraction include about 2 days of full on bleeding that would never stop and getting sick trying to walk more than 5 steps... If swelling is your biggest concern, you are having a good week.

Bradyams
08-25-2005, 11:15 PM
Couple of my friends had swelling for a week, and sometimes longer.

I personally had no swelling, and ate solid food the day following my surgery. I was really lucky, had no pain, and healed up fast.

James Boston
08-25-2005, 11:15 PM
I had minimal bleeding and swelling. I guess I was lucky. Don't drink through a straw or smoke (if you do).

Michael Davis
08-25-2005, 11:37 PM
Just don't get dry sockets. You sound okay now. If you get dry sockets you will know.

-Michael

HopeydaFish
08-26-2005, 12:16 AM
I was really sore for about 3 days. I couldn't get out of bed and was swollen like a chipmunk. It took about a month before my jaw felt 100% again and I could chew without wincing in pain.

ThaSaltCracka
08-26-2005, 12:18 AM
just take some vicodin and relax.

Eegs
08-26-2005, 01:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
just take some vicodin and relax.

[/ QUOTE ]

They prescribed some percocet for me which is supposed to be stronger than vicodin. I took some the first day and hurled badly so I stopped taking it. Now I'm just on a generic motrin and it seems to be working ok.

ThaSaltCracka
08-26-2005, 01:07 AM
you are a pussy and an embarrasment to OOT.

Soul Daddy
08-26-2005, 01:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
They prescribed some percocet for me which is supposed to be stronger than vicodin. I took some the first day and hurled badly so I stopped taking it.

[/ QUOTE ]
What the...? Try again!

EliteNinja
08-26-2005, 01:27 AM
I had ONE out with local anisthetic.
Took 2 hours.
Did not stop bleeding for 2 days.
Face was swollen for a week.
It got infected after 1 day and my throat balooned up, had a fever and I could not swallow as the pain would send me into convulsions. Did not sleep for 2 days. Tylenol 3 did nothing.

Not fun.

Get it checked out, man.

Shajen
08-26-2005, 09:26 AM
Got mine done in the Corps. All 4 at once. Local anesthetic, Navy doc took some pliers and crushed the teeth.

Half way through the procedure feeling starting coming back, so the Doc shot me up with the anesthetic again. When the procedure was done, I went back to work. I couldn't talk, I sounded like Bill Cosby when he jokes about the dentist visit. I had drool running out of my mouth because I couldn't tell if it was open or closed.

There is nothing like hearing the sound of your teeth shattering.

[censored] Navy doctors. You could request to be knocked out, but it was rare for them to do it. About a week later, I woke up and had a [censored] tooth root hanging out of the bottom right socket. I ended up pulling it out and it was like an inch and a half long. Grossest [censored] ever. My roommate almost yacked when I showed it to him. (I didn't know wtf it was at the time)

For Jake: did you get yours taken out by a Navy doc too? The Docs on mainside Pendleton didn't play.

You fuckers and your getting knocked out have no idea how lucky you are.

Oh, I recommend you drink copious amounts of alcohol and smoke, so you can bleed for a week. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jackdaniels
08-26-2005, 09:59 AM
I had all 4 taken out in the same procedure - after full anasthesia. I woke up 30 minutes after the procedure began and proceeded to spew blood all over my shirt (my wife thought I was dying). The nurse had to keep reminding me to breathe...

Anyway, I got 40 percocets and proceeded to spend the next week stoned out of my tree. The pain and bleeding was fairly minimal. If your doc gave you percocets and you aren't taking them, it is sad for you (and also, do you live anywhere near Toronto, Canada? I'll gladly take them off your hands /images/graemlins/grin.gif )

08-26-2005, 10:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They prescribed some percocet for me which is supposed to be stronger than vicodin. I took some the first day and hurled badly so I stopped taking it.

[/ QUOTE ]
What the...? Try again, they mix well with captain and coke!

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Shajen
08-26-2005, 10:12 AM
Why the percocet?

Seriously, I wasn't given any pain medication other than motrin.

Either I'm way tougher than you guys (not likely) or we are all getting soft.

Bulldog
08-26-2005, 10:14 AM
My surgeon told me day three is always the worst. He was right, and day four I was feeling really good.

jackdaniels
08-26-2005, 10:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why the percocet?

Seriously, I wasn't given any pain medication other than motrin.

Either I'm way tougher than you guys (not likely) or we are all getting soft.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do belive you are way tougher than most of the guys here (and I include myself in that category gladly - I am no fighter). I got the percocets because I stressed my low tolerance for pain (going fully under for the wisdom teeth extraction is something I paid about $1200 more for than getting it done the usual way).

I didn't think you were tougher before this thread. But the combination of you being a vet and getting them removed with pliers (I had that done to me once as a kid - never want to repeat the experience), has convinced me that you are.

Shajen
08-26-2005, 10:27 AM
Dude, I am a giant pussy.

Ya'll are just bigger /images/graemlins/wink.gif

UseThePeenEnd
08-26-2005, 11:20 AM
Without a doubt the best wisdom tooth story ever.

nh, sir

08-26-2005, 04:21 PM
I had no real side effects. I bled for about 2 hours and slept for about 6 but when I woke up the bleeding had stopped and my cheeks were swollen at all. I even ate Taco Bell that night by chewing with just my front teeth. I was fine the next day and went back to everyday life.

CORed
08-26-2005, 04:34 PM
I had mine done (all 4 at once) by an oral surgeon they used a local and something IV (I don't know what) that didn't completely knock me out, but had me so stoned that nothing bothered me. I remember hearing at least one tooth being crushed, but it didn't bother me at all. If the surgeon had said "as long as we've got him under, lets cut off his balls", it probably would not have bothered me. Anyway, I didn't have much pain or swelling. I took the Percodan they gave me more for the high than from any need for pain killing. I actually went for a hike one or two days after the surgery.

jakethebake
08-29-2005, 07:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For Jake: did you get yours taken out by a Navy doc too? The Docs on mainside Pendleton didn't play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I got mine done on Okinawa right before I got out. All 4 at once with a local only. First the cutting through the gums to get to the teeth. Then the saw to cut them in half before a hammer& chisel to crack them. Then the knee on my chest to hold me down while he wrenched 'em out with the pliers.

I was lucky though. None of the dry socket problems or infections or anything.

Shajen
08-29-2005, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I got mine done on Okinawa right before I got out. All 4 at once with a local only. First the cutting through the gums to get to the teeth. Then the saw to cut them in half before a hammer& chisel to crack them. Then the knee on my chest to hold me down while he wrenched 'em out with the pliers.

I was lucky though. None of the dry socket problems or infections or anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] Navy doctors. Glad you made it ok duder, hurricane mess anything up you way?

jakethebake
08-29-2005, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[censored] Navy doctors. Glad you made it ok duder, hurricane mess anything up you way?

[/ QUOTE ]

3 trees down, and a few limbs. no power for around 36 hours. but everyone's safe. thanks.