PDA

View Full Version : JJ Hand

Aviston
08-25-2005, 10:28 PM
My poker partner and I were going through some of our hand histories today and he disagreed with how I played the turn in this hand:

Ultimate Bet 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

River: (14.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

Final Pot: 17.50 BB

Thoughts? Seems standard to me.

silkyslim
08-25-2005, 10:32 PM
Reads on SB? Why don't you post telling us the merits of raising the turn as opposed to 1) calling the turn 2)folding to the 3 bet on the turn and give a range of hands for SB. Do you think the button calling all the way changes anything?

MrWookie47
I think that's perfect.

LoaferGee12
I think this is fine. Looks like he picked up a pair of Tens here, or maybe a pair+FD. If he had bet/called on the flop, and then donked the turn, I might consider just calling as that looks more like a turned 2-pair. Why didn't your friend like the turn raise?

JacksonTens
08-25-2005, 10:49 PM
If your villain in this case is standard and uncreative, I'm saying your done on the turn. That 3-bet says I have more than just the ten, I'm putting him on T5, T6 for the most likely candidiates going by this bizarre action, don't count out T9 either as maybe he's just weak. On the whole his donkbet is quite poor, unless he knew he could get 3 in on the turn... which he did. Call the turn, and the river, which is what you did, can't really fold here even though your done around 80% of the time.

JT /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Aviston
08-25-2005, 10:52 PM
No read on SB.

While the board is somewhat scary, I see it being more of a draw board than a made hand board. My raise is for value, and also sends 2 to the BB. While I figure my hand is best here the majority of the time, I also feel it is vulnerable. I wouldn't mind folding a 7 or an 8 here for instance.

As for folding to the 3 bet, we discussed such an action, and both felt that would be a tough play. While I am certainly not suprised here to see a set or two pair quite often, I'm not sure I'm losing in this situation to the 3 bet 92% of the time to make folding this a good play.

VoraciousReader
08-25-2005, 10:55 PM
Did he want you to cap the turn? Or fold to the 3-bet? I'd say the former is spewing and the latter is weak.

Absent a conflicting read, this is how I'd play it, unless I thought a cap might get rid of Button.

Aviston
08-25-2005, 11:03 PM
He thought a call was in order on the turn. I feel that this is quite weak considering the board and me having an overpair. As for the 3 bet, he seemed to be leaning towards folding but admitted he'd probably call it down.

LoaferGee12
08-25-2005, 11:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did he want you to cap the turn? Or fold to the 3-bet? I'd say the former is spewing and the latter is weak.

Absent a conflicting read, this is how I'd play it, unless I thought a cap might get rid of Button.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a feeling he was saying to just call the turn bet. Folding the turn to a 3-bet is unacceptable given your hidden outs to any 2-pair.

Buckmulligan
08-25-2005, 11:11 PM
standard as all hell

Aviston
08-25-2005, 11:48 PM
I don't think capping is anything other than spewing here. The button already called 2 cold this street, I doubt he'd fold to 2 more.

Aaron W.
08-26-2005, 12:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think capping is anything other than spewing here. The button already called 2 cold this street, I doubt he'd fold to 2 more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Capping isn't about knocking out the button. It's a value cap if you think villain is willing to 3-bet with a hand worse than your jacks. Button can stay or go, it doesn't matter so much if you think your hand is best.

Your play is the best line absent other useful information.

Aviston
08-26-2005, 12:48 AM
I was replying to a post that said they might cap if they thought they could fold the button.