PDA

View Full Version : the fat lady has sung

GrannyMae
04-08-2003, 09:24 PM
ruben studdard

bid......70
ask.....75

it is STILL a buy.

IMO (and most of america that watches), it is OVER.

any purchases on anyone but ruben is dead money.

speaking of which, the only way he loses is if he dies before the final segment.

i am new to futures betting, but when there is still 8 weeks to go on a One-Pay proposition, and the bid/ask is where it stands shows me that there is nothing left to do but collect.

i am thrilled to have locked up such a huge gain, but my greedy ass still wishes i had bought more than 20 contracts.

look for the numbers to be 80/85 by tomorrow, so anyone looking for a quick 10 points needs to buy NOW (before it airs on the west coast)

i coulda bought a new car if i had listened to my instincts at the beginning and bought more.

i will absolutely be selling when he hits 81 on the bid. not selling with a gain like this is plain stupid. as i said, the only way he loses is if he dies, but the remote chance of that happening makes me realize that i have to sell them before the end.

glenn? what do you think?? dump them?? it seems like a greedy, stupid move to hold them for another 20 points which is the most i can make.

i'm already kicking myself for selling 2 contracts last week to make a freeroll short term play. i think i would have to swallow a gun if i don't get out now and something happens.

my total outlay was $400, the value at the time of this post for the remaining 18 contracts is $1440, and the HIGHEST it can go is $1800.

time to sell methinks. i'll probably wait until tomorrow to pick up another 5 points, but it HAS to be the right move to dump them this week.

glenn?? agree, or no?

thank you 205, thank you

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/_950/encore.gif

jasonHoldEm
04-08-2003, 10:57 PM
Granny,

Please forgive me for being the ignorant slob that I am, but what the heck are you talking about?

/forums/images/icons/confused.gif
jHE

GrannyMae
04-08-2003, 11:39 PM
but what the heck are you talking about?

this is an excellent and deeply profound question. if you can formulate a response, please let me know asap. i have no clue either

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/h0/jump.gif

Smackdab
04-08-2003, 11:40 PM
Granny bought futures on the outcome of American Idol. A very wise choice.
I agree Granny don't hold out, collect now. Ruben is da man on that show but as overweight as he is may have a coronary any day. Nice Selection!

GrannyMae
04-08-2003, 11:52 PM
Ruben is da man on that show but as overweight as he is may have a coronary any day

but there is other things that can happen too. look at corey clark. ruben seems like he has no past to worry about coming up, but who the heck knows what other things could happen. he could beat simon in the face and get kicked off, he could sit on seacrest and kill him.. wait, those are GOOD things. however, you are right smack, no reason to risk it.

don't know if you saw it, but did cowell tell lionel that he hated his work? i have it on tape as well, i have to find that and play it over.

ruben also looked GREAT in his jacket. i think that losing the bright and colorful 205 shirts will only help his chances. there are people out there that criticize his garb, and if it could cost votes, it was a good thing to change. i'm sure he has advisors and agents crawling up his butt already. he's gonna be a big star IMO.

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/_950/bore.gif

Glenn
04-09-2003, 12:18 AM
Granny-

Tonight's show was awful (except for Roooooben of course). It all started with Clay's showtune of the week, except this week he was a little off key at times. He wasn't the worst, but he is getting worse every week. Goodbye. Kimberly Forehead did ok, she seemed to start off time, but she recovered. It was good, but really no better than solid karaoke. Then came Ricky. After his shaky start he actually sounded pretty good. He was actually one of the better people tonight. Kimberly Caldwell was quick to disappoint. She was awful. I wonder if she even recorded and listened to herself before she performed. If she heard herself do that song and still did it, she is insane. Who was next? Josh I think? He did good for Josh. I hate that song, but he pulled it off and missed way fewer notes than usual. Of course that means he was "marginal" instead of "terrible" like last week. Carmen took a good shot at Kimberly C. Again, did she listen to herself sing that song? It was a solid second place in the middle school talent show performance. Terrible. She should be gone. Treynce started out pretty badly as well but recovered on the loud notes. Like most others though, she was way worse than usual. Ruben saved the day (of course). I didn't think it was his best, but it was soooo much better than anyone else it was a joke. No 205 shirt was another plus. He is running away with it. He would have to kill someone AND be caught pleasuring himself in a public bathroom to lose at this point.

About selling, I would probably do it. God forbid he comes in the bottom 3 one week for whatever reason (sore throat or something) he will be down to 10 in an hour. He might get arrested, disqualified, or killed. I don't see why he would lose, but once he starts getting around 80-85, he doesn't need to lose very often to make holding incorrect. I don't know if you have a cat, but if you do and you lose on these, you are probably going to kill it.

-g-

TimTimSalabim
04-09-2003, 12:57 AM
This thread probably belongs on "Other Topics", but...

Elmira Fudd (Carmen) deserves to get voted off this week. But it'll probably be Heavy Kimberly. I've noticed position is just as important on this show as it is in poker. There are probably lots of viewers who miss the early performances or forget them.

I'd like to see Garth Brooks Lite or Nice Guy Rickey go after that. My final four is: Whitreynce, whose singing shines occasionally and knows how to use her eyes in a sexy Susanna Hoffs-like fashion. Mr. Showtunes, who I think is holding back for a big finish. Ruben, of course. And what the hell, I'm gonna go for a darkhorse, Hot Kimberly to surprise us all and start living up to her potential (just don't let her pick her own songs).

jasonHoldEm
04-09-2003, 01:07 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I don't know if you have a cat, but if you do and you lose on these, you are probably going to kill it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Granny does have a cat...it went into hiding after she broke the lamps last weekend.

(Are you up on your Granny Trivia?)

I'll take bloomers for 300, Alex.

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif
jHE

Fraubump
04-09-2003, 02:18 AM
I haven't seen American idol, but this kind of bet is intriguing. Are there war related bets too? Dead Pools?

Daliman
04-09-2003, 02:50 AM
I, for one, am still underwhelmed by the whole talent base of AI this year. How many thousands of people auditioned for this and THIS is the cream of the crop? Ruben was good, but DEFENITELY not as good as everyone made him out to be. I AM very picky, however. My horse Clay performed well, and definitely has the strongest voice of the group, but alas, his voice may not have enough zuzu to get past the 205. Everyone else is wasting their time. That girl who sang Bryan adams needs to have hear head examined, Kim picked a song which nobody ever needs to hear again that is known for showing off range, then drops the key on it and still goes falt at least 5 times. Ricky faltered a bit at first, but came through on the strong notes,(and Simon was right about Lionel's singing on Endless love; nowhere NEAR his best work, but he was out of line for saying it). I missed Trenyce and the other girl, but the little bit of "Call me" that i did hear was plenty, thank you, although she should get immunity into the next show for being the ONLY performer not to do a ballad. Oh, and Josh, while singing well, didn't impress me much with a song right in his wheelhouse. The comments about the pathetically bad picking of songs with 40 years to choose from were mostly correct, with 205 making the best pick, not the obvious pick. Clay should have done "Don't let the sun go down on me", if he really wanted to impress with a ballad, but methinks he's saving that for a later show; no sense firing your big guns early. I'm sure Ruben's doing the same and holding out his Luther Vandroos for the same reason. Again, remember this time last year, Tamyra was a slam dunk, with Justin a close second. Kelly was an afterthought. Me, I'm going in for plastic surgery next week to help make me look even younger than I already do for the next installment of AI. And granny; SELL! You have a very limited upside and unlimited downside. Above all, remember, there alot of racist jerks out there who could never vote for a black person, and that may come to the fore at some point, as stupid as that sounds. Take you profit and enjoy the rest of the show.

Emperor
04-09-2003, 10:58 AM
Its a stupid TV show. TV should be banned. Its called "American Sandwich". Although most of the sandwiches aren't American, they are eaten by Americans. As of now the rankings go

1. Ruben - Traditional Corned Beef, Kraut, and Russian dressing (No thousand Island thank goodness)

2. The Johnny Cochran - ???

3. Ham and Cheese - Wonderbread makes the sandwich

People will watch anything.
Lowest Common Denominator Television.

I love PBS except for all of the left wing radicals running the show. (I'm a moderate)

GrannyMae
04-09-2003, 01:20 PM
great analysis, as always glenn. kimberly forehead (good nickname btw), was pretty good i thought. she may have been second best last night, so i fear it is bye bye for carmen since the votes from last week carry over.

i agree with you that josh is soon to go, and think that paula's comment that he was back was an overstatement. did you feel the distaste between simon and lionel, or was it my imagination.

i think 3rd best last night was trenyce, so there appears to be still a game for second place. clay versus ruben is probably inevitable, but if cowell does not let up on clay, that may change.

i'm selling all 15 of the 18 tonight after the results show airs on the west coast, regardless of the ask. this is not the time to worry about a few points, and holding 3 till the end gives me something to still root for.

http://216.40.249.192/s/otn/tongue/lickthe.gif

GrannyMae
04-09-2003, 01:34 PM
This thread probably belongs on "Other Topics",

they don't let me post anywhere but the zoo. however, it is about online, futures bets, so i think it is perfectly appropriate for the internet gambling board.

some of us are starting to have rickey grow on us. i think once he lost the "hercules" schtick, he became less offensive. now i actually think he may be one of the nicest and polite contestants left. i would LOVE to see him go to the final 3, but doubt that will happen.

finally, i agree completely that the only thing keeping blonde kimberly from being a favorite over clay is simply lack of of great performance thus far.

fraubump, these wagers are available at:
http://www.wsex.com/market/IDOL-2003.html
(not sure about the ones you want, but there are plenty of others)

http://216.40.249.192/s/otn/tongue/11zlick.gif

Easy E
04-09-2003, 03:13 PM
My final 3 are Reuben, T? (whatever her name is) and Clay. All 3 had great performances last night, have had consistantly high performances throughout (with Reuben possibly the best

After that, it's up to the fickle voters. I wonder if race will play any part in this (how we could tell, I don't know)?

Or worse (for you) someone spreads an Internet rumor in order to screw up the voting.....

hmm..... Pay me $45.23 now, Granny, and I won't start a rumor!

GrannyMae
04-09-2003, 07:09 PM
Pay me $45.23 now, Granny, and I won't start a rumor!

this is the degenerate scumbag with NO morals Granny, not the wuss snowshine. for every anti ruben rumor you start, i will call in my pack of little whores and have them spreading worse rumors about the rest.

and clay's sexuality is the great equalizer against the race issue with ruben and trenyce
(as sad as that is)

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/4/stoned.gif

Easy E
04-09-2003, 08:55 PM
the way Clay was hanging all over a number of the female competitors, I didn't think it was because they were "gihrlfrands"....

You're gonna regret your cheapness, you old hag you!

Easy E
04-09-2003, 08:56 PM
I made it up on the Internet, so it MUST be true!

Sell those options!

GrannyMae
04-09-2003, 09:22 PM
Hot fact! Reuben is Granny in drag!

this is NOT a nice thing to say about ruben. he is clearly the prettier of the two of us.

i am sad to announce that hercules just bit the dust.

kimberly caldwell was the next one with the least votes, and kimberly forehead made the bottom three.

i would have guessed that carmen was toast, but there is the race card in force i'm afraid to say.
(i purchased 30 carmens from the proceeds of one ruben, so if her bid exceeds what i paid anytime in the next week, i'll be dumping them too)

buh-bye hercules, best of luck. apparently nice guys DO finish last.

/forums/images/icons/frown.gif

lil'
04-10-2003, 07:51 AM
Did you see that "fantasy sequence" where Reuben fantasizes about Carmen and living in a mansion?

HILARIOUS!

Also funny that a person who lives in a mansion would own a Ford product.

lorinda
04-10-2003, 09:03 AM
This thread probably belongs on "Other Topics", but...

Granny doesn't _DO_ other topics.

Lori

lorinda
04-10-2003, 09:08 AM
Are there war related bets too? Dead Pools?

Betonsports.com has a good selection of bets on Korea, Gay Presidents and which hemisphere the next 7.5+ Earthquake will be on.

Tradesports.com does futures in Saddam Hussein's death.

Meanwhile, the £5 ($8) bet I had with a friend almost a year ago that Saddam would die before Arafat is looking pretty good right now.

Lori

TimTimSalabim
04-10-2003, 01:20 PM
Race card? No, I think position came into play, as I suggested would probably happen. Rickey and Kimberly Locke performed 2nd and 3rd, whereas Carmen and Trenyce were 6 and 7.

TimTimSalabim
04-10-2003, 03:44 PM
Rickey was also probably hurt by the two-week voting thing, so his fans probably figured he was not in danger and were not as motivated to call in for him, whereas Carmen and Trenyce's fans were extra motivated.

GrannyMae
04-10-2003, 08:03 PM
whereas Carmen and Trenyce's fans were extra motivated.

this, and your statement about position are great points. these are arguments for giving the judges a vote. too many oddball things happen that impact the vote.

i dumped all but 3 of my rubens, so i can now enjoy the show more. at this point, i actually hope that carmen or kimberly C win, as i have a bunch of contracts on them
(not having to worry about ruben eating too many cheeseburgers is comforting)

http://216.40.249.192/s/contrib/legionxs/pengy.gif