PDA

View Full Version : An exploitable part of my game

baronzeus
08-25-2005, 05:36 PM
Say I sit down at a new table, no reads.

2 hands in, I am the button. I raise against somewhat tight blinds with a good stealing hand, XX. Flop comes xxx and I miss. He checks I bet he check-raises. I call and fold the turn UI.

Or flop comes xxx and I miss. he bets I call and fold the turn UI.

I was thinking about this last night after having a conversation with tpir about being the exploited one. Some opponents could get the best of me by just doing this every time and I don't know exactly how to deal with it.

it also becomes a problem because i mostly fold A high to check-raises on the turn against seemingly straight-forward opponents. an unknown could call and then check-raise and cost me a pot every time and would have the best of me i think. Also, since I fold, I don't know whether he/she is bluffing ,and don't pick up a useful read for future hands. Kind of defeating, isn't it?

This is something I need to fix ASAP. I have plans to move up to 10/20 in the next two weeks, but I don't want to move up with such a gaping hole in my game.

What is the general plan in these situations? I hate just being check-raised on any flop and getting completely owned, or check-raised on any turn and getting completely owned.

einbert
08-25-2005, 05:41 PM
Smooth call the flop checkraises to raise the turn with your big hands, then after that do the same thing on a bluff.

Alternatively, threebet the flop and bet the turn, and consider following through on the river.

If players constantly do this and never let up, try checking behind the flop without a hand and see what they do on the turn and how quickly they do it--if they check to you, bet and if they bet, consider a bluff raise.

Of course this is very dependent on the exact player, your image, how deeply the player thinks and what your cards and the board is. But basically, mix things up more.

Also, it's not usually a good idea to call the flop planning to fold the turn UI with two overcards getting 5-1.

baronzeus
08-25-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, it's not usually a good idea to call the flop planning to fold the turn UI with two overcards getting 5-1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, i realize this now.

Chobohoya
08-25-2005, 05:45 PM
This isn't exploitable. The reason for this is your first sentence. You just sat down at the table, you have no reads. Therefore they have no reads. Once you get more than a few orbits with these guys, you'll have a much better idea of what to do in this spot.

All OP says is that it's hard not knowing what to do. In this situation that isn't a big leak.

spamuell
08-25-2005, 05:48 PM
It's hard. Try to call down with weak hands a lot, you can try free showdown raising K-high and better (and sometimes worse depending on the board) to combat their semi-bluffs a little, but don't make it your default play like I did for a while because you end up getting 3-bet a lot, including by worse hands.

But basically, it's difficult and when you have a slew of unshowdownable hands that you've raised from late position, it's going to feel like you're getting run over a lot. If you have showdown value and the board is fairly drawy, try to use it.

Take my advice FWIW as I feel that while I have improved at this, I could be tons better.