PDA

View Full Version : Chess Game to Talk About- Round 4 of the NA Open

12-29-2001, 01:26 AM
Victory at last! It took me four games but I finally won. It's hard to assess my play due to my opponent. He made several remarkably poor moves and created a very weak position for himself. At the very least, I can say that I expertly took advatage of his mistakes and dismantled his position very quickly.

The game:

White: Dynasty (1775)

Black: Bob Gruspe (1619)

1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 Bb4 4.e5 c5 5.a3 Bxc3 6.bc Qa5 7.Bd2 Qa4

Several years ago, I used this basic defensive set-up myself. I don't like the two Queen moves my opponent has made but I have a friend who swears by this approach combined with playing ...c4 as soon as possible.

8.Qg4 g6

This pawn move is truly bad. As the game progresses, it should be noticed how I exploit the weak dark squares near his King and the pawns themselves.

9.h4 h5

Compounding the problem

10.Qf3 b6

playing ...b6 is very slow development while I've already got an easy attacking plan.

11.Nh3 Ba6 12.Ng5

I'm threatening to checkmate him by playing Qxf7 (check) Kd8 Nxe6 (check) Kc8 Qc7 (checkmate)

12...Nh6 13.Qf6

exploiting his weak dark squares created just five moves earlier.

13...0-0

Castling shocked me. I could simply "feel" that I was on the verge of winning based on experience. He's got a position which is undefendable.

14.Nxe6

If he captures my Knight with his pawn I will play Qxg6 (check) and then Qxh6 (check) making his King even more vulnerable.

14...Nf5

This defends against Qg7 (checkmate)

15.Nxf8 Qe8 16.g4

A very good move by me which will, one way or another, create a line of attack for my rook on h1.

16...hg 17.h5 Kxf8

His final mistake.

18. hg

In this position, my opponent resigned. He recognized that nothing can stop me from playing Rh8 (checkmate) on my next move.

I'd say my opponent lost this game more than I won it. But, a win is a win.