PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Live Fantasy Draft in Progress

CollinEstes
08-25-2005, 04:08 PM
You guys getting ready for your drafts should check this out.

All the people playing in this league help run Draftsharks.com and are pretty good at picking players.

http://football2.myfantasyleague.com/2005/options?L=11635&O=17

The Armchair
08-25-2005, 04:21 PM
Pretty standard so far, except for the Culpepper/Dillon picks, which were atrocious. But most people could use this as a sample draft.

Note how taste-dependent early rounds are. I'd have taken Deuce McA much lower (he's a boom or bust runner and I shy from them), but it's a very defensible pick. Others would have taken Rudi Johnson higher, Kevin Jones lower, etc. None of these are mistakes, showing two things:
a) how important mid to late picks are
b) how much luck is involved in this standard FF format.

CollinEstes
08-25-2005, 04:31 PM
Agreed, I am waiting to see the 6-10 rounds more than anything, because that is where you can catch lighting in a bottle.

JayLear
08-25-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Agreed, I am waiting to see the 6-10 rounds more than anything, because that is where you can catch lighting in a bottle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like we could be waiting a while on these.

SossMan
08-25-2005, 05:36 PM
Cadilac went earlier than I've seen in most drafts.

The Armchair
08-25-2005, 07:19 PM
I think that's because of how many teams went RB-RB. The thing is, that's very predictable, making it really really stupid to have taken Culpepper at pick 1.12.

08-25-2005, 07:25 PM
Surprisingly, I think sporting news is having the best draft.

McGahee, Jamal Lewis, Donovan McNabb, Darrell Jackson w/ first 4 picks is super solid.

BadBoyBenny
08-25-2005, 08:31 PM
Dou you guys think that since they didn't go with a RB in their first two picks they are just going to give up on the position?

What would the best strategy be from here (After 4 rounds)? Draft Larry Johnson and or Davenport and hope someone gets hurt? Take Bettis? Just keep picking who they think will be the highest scorer regardless of position?

The Armchair
08-25-2005, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dou you guys think that since they didn't go with a RB in their first two picks they are just going to give up on the position?

What would the best strategy be from here (After 4 rounds)? Draft Larry Johnson and or Davenport and hope someone gets hurt? Take Bettis? Just keep picking who they think will be the highest scorer regardless of position?

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that you're only starting 3 WRs. The 4th WR doesn't help you.

Occasionally, you'll see a fantasy expert claim that the best style is the one that ignores the standard one -- in other words, if everyone is going RB-RB, you go QB-WR (Peyton/Moss or something like that). But it just doesn't work, because at the end of the draft, they have two good RBs, two 70-700-7 WRs, and a 2800-20 QB. You, on the other hand, are starting absolute junk at RB.

This year is no different, but if I were somehow in that situation, I'd go with TJ Duckett and Larry Johnson. Both are going to get a good number of carries, on good offenses, are behind/alongside guys with a high injury probability.

oneeye13
08-26-2005, 03:16 AM
seems like it goes against conventional wisdom that the perennial winner doesn't draft a RB until their 4th pick