PDA

View Full Version : Ray Zee's Book?

08-25-2005, 12:42 PM
Hi everyone, I realize you have probably answered this before but I cannot seem to find it via search or just trolling through the message topics. I checked the FAQ and it mentions books but none are listed /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I play limit hold'em but am looking to expand out into other games. I really want to give Omaha a whirl and am not sure where to get started. I noticed that Ray Zee's book on Hi-Low Split covers Omaha, but it is considered an advanced book. I've played Omaha only once (a sit and go that I misclicked and thought was NL holdem - which I ironically won, lol). Would the Zee book be a good place to start, given that I'm not a poker novice, just a Omaha rookie? Or is there an intro book i should be looking at for Omaha?

Also will the Hi/Lo book be any good for Omaha 8/better and other Omaha games? Thanks everyone

Jeffage
08-25-2005, 12:46 PM
It's a good book for you. Just don't worry about the "advanced" sections just yet, since it's doubtful you will be playing mid limit games against tricky opponents or tough shorthanded games since you're just started. Frankly, many of the 15-30 and 20-40 games on Party play very soft. Get the book, it teaches stud8 too (another fun game).

Jeff

beset7
08-25-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's a good book for you. Just don't worry about the "advanced" sections just yet, since it's doubtful you will be playing mid limit games against tricky opponents or tough shorthanded games since you're just started. Frankly, many of the 15-30 and 20-40 games on Party play very soft. Get the book, it teaches stud8 too (another fun game).

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah the Stud8 section is fantastic.

08-25-2005, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the replies!

Lafortezza
08-26-2005, 10:31 PM
I'm reading Reuben's "How good is your PL Omaha?" at the moment, basically it's a book of hand quizes on Omaha with discussion and reasoning after each one.
It's pretty good, he seems to play a more LAG game than the lower Party games but the theory and discussion after each hand is well written.
Not too suitable for absolute beginners though.

benkahuna
08-27-2005, 05:57 PM
I think Ciaffone's Omaha book is a very good start. It has information in it that I had to figure out playing omaha for a bit. Could make for a better learning curve for you. I think his book does an excellent job presenting omaha in a conceptually logical and helpful manner.

I recommend doing play money at first too. It's very easy to misread your hand if you're used to holdem. Hasn't happened to me in a while, but the first few months, it happened from a few times a day to once a week.

I own the Zee book, but haven't started it.