PDA

View Full Version : Play looser at low buyins?

08-25-2005, 12:39 PM
Howdy all,

I have been reading this forum for a few days, and wanted to get opinions on this situation (don't have the hand history, so it'll have to be from memory). In general, though, I want to know if it's better to sometimes play looser, and call with a wider range, at lower levels because your opponents are in general not very good? Or, should you stick to established good strategy, and wait for your chances when you know you're ahead?

Here's the situation I was in:

20+2 SNG at Party Poker
1st Round, early, blinds 10/15
I have about t870, UTG+2 has about t700, SB has t800.
I'm dealt QQ
2 limpers,then UTG+2 raises to t70
I raise to t200 (Is this a good raise by the way?)
SB calls
UTG+2 goes all in

Now, I'm pretty sure if I was playing against good players, I lay this down. But I can't tell you the number of times I've seen all ins in a simlilar situation with hands like 66-JJ, as well as A9 or A10. AK certainly has no problem making this move either, and I'm a little ahead there. Does anyone think it's OK to call here?

In fact, I did call, then the SB went all in behind me, and I called him too. UTG+2 had KK, SB had AJs. That's what I'm getting at - he called 2 all ins in front of him with AJs, which boggles my mind. He of course caught his Ace and trippled up, and I was eliminated a few hands later. But when you're playing against this level of player... I dunno, I feel like my QQ is going to double and tripple up a fair number of times. How do you all play it?

Oh, and while I'm avoiding work, let me throw my background sob story out there too. I've been playing online for a few months, and the first few buyins I would put in $100, play for a couple of days, and eventually lose it all. Then, about a month ago I was bored and put in $50 just to play a few SNGs (10+1), and turned that into $150. I switched to 20+2s, and over the month got up to $800 in the bank, with some winning and some losing days, but a pretty steady trend upward. Then, over the last week, I lost $550, including a stretch of 21 straight SNGs where I did not finish ITM. My bankroll is now $250, my confidence is shot, and I'm not really sure where to go. I certainly don't think I'm a good player, but I think I'm better than alot of the people I see play - I wouldn't, say, call two all ins in the first round with AJs, for instance, or call 3 all ins with 66 like I saw happen the game before that. I think I play pretty tight, which more often than not has me play one to four hands in the first three rounds where I raise, and if they don't hit I end up with about t600 chips heading into the 50/100 round. This inevitably ends with me all in trying to steal blinds with marginal hands, where I get called, and I swear, during that streak of 20 it didn't matter how far I was ahead, I was going down.

OK, any response to all this rambling is very appreciated. And if none, that's OK, reading the forums is fun enough.

Thanks.

Hornacek
08-25-2005, 12:45 PM
For a $22 buyin, its tough. I think esp at the $11 -> $33 buyin levels, I play ULTRA tight early on (up til maybe level 4). However, early on I will raise my QQ -> AA pairs to maybe 150 preflop. The idea is to pick off these retards that love ace high. With QQ -> AA, you have to take a stand and try to double up against idiots, unless you have a read on a player, and have labelled him a solid player already (in which case tighten your game up).

My point is, for a $22 tourney, you can't really fault that. The UTG+2 play corresponds to KK, but without a read on him, it could also respond to any Ax play by a $20+2 donk. Try to win big on your premium hands against donks, and good luck.

ps. I tend not to play AK as strong early round, as it is still a drawing hand. Moreoever, since tons of idiots love playing any ace, flopping an ace is no guarantee at doubling up... the possibility of running into a dirty two pair is high. I play AK with caution early on, but thats just me.

checkers777
08-25-2005, 07:39 PM
Basically the only time I ever fold QQ is if its level 1 or 2 and I raise and 2 ppl behind me reraise or push. That usually indicates a better hand is out there. You are right though, most of the time if one player pushes behind you, you can expect to see anything from 77 to ATs

08-25-2005, 07:43 PM
Make less good laydowns but make way fewer bluffs (none except for C-bets?) and don't play hands that require a good read on your opponents (Ax).

mlagoo
08-25-2005, 07:53 PM
a) switch to 11s, stat.

b) there are very few situations to fold QQ preflop at 11s and 22s. this isnt really one of them. when in these low limit buyins, i find the profitable mindset is to err on the side of "my opponent is probably a donk."

c) keep reading this forum. there are a lot of solid lower limit players here that give good advice (tigerite, durron597, bluefeet, among others). there are also, of course, a number of higher buyin players who give advice that applies to all games. just keep reading this forum and applying what you read.

d) while finishing ITM 25 times in a row IS abnormal, a gradual slope down 25 buyins is not. SNGs have a lot of variance. you should know that and be comfortable with that before you decide to dedicate a lot of time to them.

good luck.

bawcerelli
08-26-2005, 01:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I certainly don't think I'm a good player,

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you're probably not. It seems to me you should switch down to the 10's until you get more experience and confidence.