PDA

View Full Version : LAG HAND FOR MATT FLYNN

flawless_victory
08-25-2005, 12:12 PM
ok. so im in the lake charles, la 5/5NL (300max) game... dont ask why, it doesnt matter... game is wild. villain in this hand is old school and a regular in the 10/Q PLO and PLH games here in houston. he is an action player.

the hand before this he raised about 6 limpers from the button making it 45 straight.... they all called and then check/folded to his bet on the flop.

this time it is folded to him in CO (really wierd) and he opens for 45 (he has ~2K) saying, "works so well last time im gonna make it 45 again blahblahblah..." i take this is weakness and decide he has garbage. the button folds and the sb (600) who is a friend of mine and extremely looseaggresive clearly considers reraising, but then just calls. i (750) squeeze off Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif (750) reraise to 165 straight... villain calls and the sb folds shaking his head.

flop comes down A /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
i reach for chips, but before i bet villain starts saying "dont bet too much blahblah," and grabs a big handful of chips threatening to call... i decide he is full of it and bet 250, he calls fast.

turn is a 6.
i check, planning to give up, but he check behind after a v brief pause.

the river is a 5 (no flush). board reads A98-6-5...
i check, villain says, "ok lets get the rest of it in there," and puts all his chips in the pot.

i go into the tank and say how this going to be a sicksicksick call... i ask him if he has JT and tell him i cant win unless he has JT, he starts laughing. i ask him to show me one, and he asks which one i wanna see... i tell him either is fine and he flips up the J /images/graemlins/club.gif! im like, "now that is sick!"... he tells me he is gonna give me $1M if he has JT or some BS, i go ahead and call him.

mgsimpleton
08-25-2005, 04:24 PM
i would have asked him to show me one without telling him your reasoning and if he flipped up a J or a T then i'd make the call... as played he might very well have some pair with a J, and his flipping over one hurts you because if he has a J or T he will certainly flip that one over.

turnipmonster
08-25-2005, 04:29 PM
I like the call a lot, and think he has JT a whole lot of the time. something like J8 or J9 is pretty unlikely IMO

tomahawk
08-25-2005, 04:38 PM
wow

I like it I guess.. can't wait to hear how it went

Prevaricator
08-25-2005, 04:38 PM
did he know what card he was flipping up? did he look back?

if he had something like J7 and flipped up the 7 randomly, he'd have shot himself in the foot.

if he just randomly chose one and it was the J, then I think the call is good

mgsimpleton
08-25-2005, 04:44 PM
if i'm him and i have JT and someone explains their logic and asks me to flip up one, i'm checking and double checking both cards before deciding which one to flip.

neon
08-25-2005, 04:45 PM
No one thinks villain might have JJ here? His comment at the beginning of the hand actually gave me the impression that he had good cards, and his actions later in the hand make a bit of sense if this was in fact what he had . . . just a thought.

I think I still like the call, though. Interested to read the results.

Prevaricator
08-25-2005, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if i'm him and i have JT and someone explains their logic and asks me to flip up one, i'm checking and double checking both cards before deciding which one to flip.

[/ QUOTE ]

JJ or TT are the only hands that he can just flip one up without caring which card it is, but its wierd because I don't think those hands play like that.

mythrilfox
08-25-2005, 05:00 PM
Why would he move in with JJ?

mgsimpleton
08-25-2005, 05:02 PM
to fold KK/QQ?

mythrilfox
08-25-2005, 05:04 PM
Good point, I need to stop posting when I just wake up.

Prevaricator
08-25-2005, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why would he move in with JJ?

[/ QUOTE ]

the real question is how did he get to the river with JJ

mgsimpleton
08-25-2005, 05:08 PM
i don't think it's what happened in this hand but fwiw i will often call with a pocket pair on an A high rainbow board when i put my opponent on KK/QQ ish hand.

Prevaricator
08-25-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i don't think it's what happened in this hand but fwiw i will often call with a pocket pair on an A high rainbow board when i put my opponent on KK/QQ ish hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't check behind on the turn and make it look like a draw so he can try to snap of a river bet though.

I think its a reach. Not impossible, but a reach.

Matt Flynn
08-25-2005, 05:15 PM
I hate this hand. It feels too random preflop, the stacks are way too short for that kind of preflop aggression with a hand that relies heavily on fold equity, you are out of position, and the player sounds like a caller, so you get little fold equity preflop.

On the river, sick calls happen. So do sick walks home. You will, of course, own him for weeks if you are right and also have people calling you down for hours afterward. If you normally play tight and do make that call, you should table your hand immediately and unapologetically before he tables his. Get your advertising equity.

Matt

captZEEbo1
08-25-2005, 05:22 PM
I don't like trying to bluff total LAGS!!!

okayplayer
08-25-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a regular in the 10/Q PLO and PLH games

[/ QUOTE ]
Did anyone else find this as funny as I did?

Big_Jim
08-25-2005, 05:50 PM
I didn't get it. Still don't.

the 9
08-25-2005, 06:01 PM
AJ

FoxwoodsFiend
08-25-2005, 07:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
saying, "works so well last time im gonna make it 45 again blahblahblah..." i take this is weakness and decide he has garbage.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif Just about every time people say something like "I'm bluffing all day boys!" or "i'm tilting" and then raise they tend to have a good hand. This is almost a certainty. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Big_Jim
08-25-2005, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else feel the same way?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.

mgsimpleton
08-25-2005, 07:05 PM
i usually say that when i really have trash as a reverse reverse tell since people are so keen on reverse tells. i was actually pretty surprised OP took that immediately as weakness.

craze9
08-25-2005, 08:13 PM
Moving in on the river is one thing, check calling is totally horrible. Not that I like your preflop play. Your stack is too small AND you're out of position. I tend to think joke reraises should almost always be performed in position.

Seems to me that these stakes were small and you were just [censored] around but then I don't see why you posted it. If you were actually trying to make money in the game would you have played like this?

True his comments are suspicious but I thought you gave up on the turn anyway. My guess is you won the hand but I still think it's gross.

flawless_victory
08-26-2005, 12:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate this hand. It feels too random preflop, the stacks are way too short for that kind of preflop aggression with a hand that relies heavily on fold equity, you are out of position, and the player sounds like a caller, so you get little fold equity preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
look, i gave my reasoning. i had a tell that assured me that the PFR had a weak hand. im sure he would have just kept his mouth shut with AA-TT,AK/AQ... obviously he has something playable to raise it here, so what. if he calls PF trying to get lucky, he is gonna miss and fold to a bet often... the sb lended credibility and dead money to my raise, and i know he is folding as there is no way he is flat callling there with a top hand, and he has very much respect for my game and tries to stay out of my way.

flawless_victory
08-26-2005, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I tend to think joke reraises should almost always be performed in position.

[/ QUOTE ]uhhhm, WHY? you never double raise out of the blind as a bluff? what about unraised pots?
it must be really tough to play against someone who only raises out of the blind with AA-QQ.

ginko
08-26-2005, 05:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I tend to think joke reraises should almost always be performed in position.

[/ QUOTE ]uhhhm, WHY? you never double raise out of the blind as a bluff? what about unraised pots?
it must be really tough to play against someone who only raises out of the blind with AA-QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point

fuzzbox
08-26-2005, 05:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
to fold KK/QQ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why would he be happy to show one card to a guy asking if he has JT ?

If KK/QQ had asked to see one, and it was the J, then surely a call is made ?

KaneKungFu123
08-26-2005, 06:50 AM
i cant comment on anything really because its all based on your reads.

flawless_victory
08-26-2005, 07:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i cant comment on anything really because its all based on your reads.

[/ QUOTE ]fair enough..
i basically posted this hand for you guys' entertainment, and to contribute something to matts challenge.
maybe ill post a more serious higher stakes hand for the challenge soon.

mgsimpleton
08-26-2005, 10:44 AM
hence my point about not saying "the only hand i beat is JT, can i see a card?" but rather just asking to see a card. this way if he actually has JJ now he knows he is good (if you're not lying, yadda yadda) and will gladly show you one of them.

caveat: i think there's a .001% chance he has JJ but i'm just explaning my logic to you crazy folk.

craze9
08-26-2005, 11:24 PM
I wrote reraise. You can't reraise an unraised pot.

There are lots of good reasons not to reraise bad hands out of position. One is that your opponent can just call and then you have to either bet and pray or give up and lose to any hand that will bet when you check.

So if I do reraise in the blinds I reraise a large amount relative to my opponent's stack. Which you didnt really do.

turnipmonster
08-27-2005, 12:51 AM
I thought it was entertaining, but am curious if he actually had JT, and if so did he go on monkey tilt afterwards?

flawless_victory
08-27-2005, 01:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was entertaining, but am curious if he actually had JT, and if so did he go on monkey tilt afterwards?

[/ QUOTE ]i pushed all my chips in, ad he immediately flipped over.. QJo and shrugged. i opened my hand, pointed to the five, and apologized for the bad beat on the end.
BTW/ he did go absolutely nuts after this hand, playing extremely fast, but a huge rush of flops (open trips several times) actually had him win a bunch of huge pots...

fimbulwinter
08-27-2005, 04:03 AM
why do otherwise smart people not get the concept of the word LAG. no offense, but these "look im a bigbad lag" posts really suck and have pretty much nothing to offer.

how about we keep in spirit with the damn original post and wait for flynn diablo cero and perhaps even limon to come in here and post as requested rather than throwing up a bunch of i played a crappy hand and made a -EV call with it that happened to be right.

fim

ShortySaurus
08-27-2005, 05:40 AM
you crazy....but i like it