PDA

View Full Version : K-10o in mid position

BulldogMafia
08-25-2005, 11:10 AM
Any advice on how to best to play K-10 in mid position? This is a hand I struggle to play well as I will show below.

Pokerroom. Long Kiss Goodnight $50 tourney NL tourney. 207 people started down to less than 60 people. Top 30 positions pay. My image at the table is tight aggressive but that doesn’t count with our villain as he has only been at our table for 2-3 rotations in which time he has seen me play only one hand outside of the blinds (where I stole the blinds) with a 3x BB raise.

Our villain has started with $7,500+ chip stack in which time it has gone down to $3,000+ and back up to its current $5,700 chip stack. He has been aggressive but has show down very marginal hands. He has gone all-in twice one time he lost to a short stack holding K-5 and the other he won without showing. He has also called a short stack with Ace small and won on a suck out.

Well in mid position I get K-10o with a chip stack of $5,500 and blinds just turned to $400-200. I have been somewhat card dead and only have a little above average chip stack (I believe the average at the time was $5,400). It is folded to me, I make it $1200 to go and it folds to the SB (Villain) who calls, BB folds, pot is $2800. Flop comes K-Q-10 rainbow. Villain checks and I make it $1,400 to go. Our villain does a check raise all in. I was afraid of AJ or J9 but having watched our villain play I didn’t think he had it. I called and he showed J-10o, for an open ended straight draw and a pair of 10s. Turn is a blank and the river is a 9 completing his straight and sending me home in 56th place.

I think I played it OK, not great but standard but I am wondering how would the rest of you play K-10o in mid position and being somewhat card dead?? Would you insta muck or start with a higher raise? Would you go all in on this flop? Would you have called his check-raise all in (rember he is a supre aggressive player and not shy about making moves)?

Chief911
08-25-2005, 11:17 AM
Bad Beat Post?

You got it all in with the best, and lost. If you are afraid of these types of situations, strip yourself of fear. =)

Nick

BulldogMafia
08-25-2005, 11:20 AM
Oh God no not a bad beat post, not my intention if it comes across that way. I love my call and would do it again given my read of the villain...my question is how best to play K-10o in mid position and should I have gone all in on the flop instead of calling?

Tailgunner
08-25-2005, 11:30 AM
I wouldn't have opened with it PF, limping and considering the action if I need to call a raise... I think it's too marginal out of position to risk an open-raise approaching the bubble when you consider it likely that at least one aggressive player will call and you don't know if the blinds may have hit a hand. The last place you want to be is tested for all your chips by a blind reraise when it probably won't eliminate the villain.

Having been card dead should never be a consideration.

If I was fishing for information with that 1/2 pot bet, yes I would have stuck to my guns and folded to the check-raise. Knowing he's super-aggressive, however, I would not expect that bet to reveal anything and would have pushed the flop to break his drawing odds. I may try to check it down if I truly feared AJ or J9, but not with the read you had.

jayheaps
08-25-2005, 12:08 PM
its funny how 99% of 2+2 posters believe they have a tight aggressive image, yet almost all hands which are usually played neither tight nor aggressive.