PDA

View Full Version : Mario and Sonic

tbach24
08-25-2005, 10:45 AM

Shajen
08-25-2005, 10:47 AM
dude, where ya been? We need a status report.

Mario
Mario 3
Sonic 1 (only cause I never played any of the others)

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-25-2005, 10:48 AM
Sonic was all the same lame [censored] over and over again. Mario is the all-time greatest.

Soul Daddy
08-25-2005, 10:48 AM
Super Mario 64

tbach24
08-25-2005, 10:51 AM
I've been enjoying my summer, I have a couple weeks left before school but all my friends are going off this weekend so I have a little more OOT time.

Btw, my answers are as follows:
Mario
Mario 3
Sonic 2

08-25-2005, 10:51 AM
I don't think Super Mario 64 came even close to the original on the NES.

tbach24
08-25-2005, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Super Mario 64

[/ QUOTE ]

This is better than any option, but since it's not an original (Sega Genesis/NES), it doesn't count.

Soul Daddy
08-25-2005, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Super Mario 64

[/ QUOTE ]

This is better than any option, but since it's not an original (Sega Genesis/NES), it doesn't count.

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay. 2 is vastly underrated and should have been included. It's the worst of the original series, but I still enjoyed it.

ThaSaltCracka
08-25-2005, 10:58 AM
I personally like Mario 64 and Super Mario Land better than anything off of NES, but on just NES, Mario 3 is easily the best. That is one game that has gotten better with every newer edition. Also, it has evolved with every new edition.

PTjvs
08-25-2005, 11:12 AM
Mario 2 wasn't even originally produced as a Mario game. The Japanese SM2 looked exactly like SM1, but was much harder. Nintendo decided it was better off converting a different Japanese game (Doki Doki Panic) by taking out the old main character & inserting Mario.

jvs

shakingspear
08-25-2005, 11:12 AM
I know Mario 2 takes a lot of heat, but I really liked it. I would have voted for it.

TheMainEvent
08-25-2005, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know Mario 2 takes a lot of heat, but I really liked it. I would have voted for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's an OK game, but its not a mario game. In fact, it wasn't even originally designed to use the mario franchise or characters. The OP was correct to leave it off the poll.

Soul Daddy
08-25-2005, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Mario 2 wasn't even originally produced as a Mario game. The Japanese SM2 looked exactly like SM1, but was much harder. Nintendo decided it was better off converting a different Japanese game (Doki Doki Panic) by taking out the old main character & inserting Mario.

[/ QUOTE ]
I knew someone would mention this. I really don't see how it's relevant. It was marketed as a Mario game in the US, so it's a [censored] Mario game.

PTjvs
08-25-2005, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I knew someone would mention this. I really don't see how it's relevant. It was marketed as a Mario game in the US, so it's a [censored] Mario game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because how something is marketed makes it undeniably true. You too can look like the Marlboro Man, New Coke > Old Coke, and partypoker.net is NOT a gambling site. By the way, I have a important message for you from the Solid Rock Church about accepting Jesus Christ as YOUR personal savior.

jvs

08-25-2005, 01:19 PM
No love for Samus?

jkkkk
08-25-2005, 01:21 PM
Mario, 3, 1.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-25-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because how something is marketed makes it undeniably true. You too can look like the Marlboro Man, New Coke > Old Coke, and partypoker.net is NOT a gambling site. By the way, I have a important message for you from the Solid Rock Church about accepting Jesus Christ as YOUR personal savior.

jvs

[/ QUOTE ]
The fact of the matter remains that, in the end, Mario 2 is a Mario game.

PTjvs
08-25-2005, 01:25 PM
Sure, but it's much more fun to argue about it on a technicality.

jvs

IndieMatty
08-25-2005, 01:30 PM
I haven't played videogames in years, but this kid who is friends with my friends younger brother is selling souped up Xboxes for 350 bucks that according to all accounts have 95% of all available games on the harddrive for NES, Master System, Super NES, 64, Neo GEO, Arcade, Artari Jaguar, Saturn, Genesis, Dreamcast, TBGfx16, and I forget if it has Playstation or PS2 games on it, but whatever. Basically it has a sick library of the games we grew up on and then some..plus you can DL games you rent into the expanded harddrive.

Anyway, I guess this isn't a question---because this seems 100% worth it right? I should buy this like now?

Soul Daddy
08-25-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't played videogames in years, but this kid who is friends with my friends younger brother is selling souped up Xboxes for 350 bucks that according to all accounts have 95% of all available games on the harddrive for NES, Master System, Super NES, 64, Neo GEO, Arcade, Artari Jaguar, Saturn, Genesis, Dreamcast, TBGfx16, and I forget if it has Playstation or PS2 games on it, but whatever. Basically it has a sick library of the games we grew up on and then some..plus you can DL games you rent into the expanded harddrive.

Anyway, I guess this isn't a question---because this seems 100% worth it right? I should buy this like now?

[/ QUOTE ]
If this is true, I don't see how the answer could be anything other than yes.

Shajen
08-25-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I should buy this like now?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://lep694.gsfc.nasa.gov/lepedu/yes.gif

IndieMatty
08-25-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If this is true, I don't see how the answer could be anything other than yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't realize how lazy I am though. If I add another distraction to my existence...oh nevermind; I'm just talking out loud I guess. I'm making the call.

Soul Daddy
08-25-2005, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You don't realize how lazy I am though.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that ZoneChefs hammered this point home.

Shajen
08-25-2005, 01:43 PM
Of course, if this kid is BSing you, by all accounts you have the right to shove the XBox up his ass with no lube.

Swede
08-25-2005, 01:45 PM
Man Sonic on the old Game Gear got me through many boring classes. Those were the days.

IndieMatty
08-25-2005, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You don't realize how lazy I am though.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that ZoneChefs hammered this point home.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no witty retort. Hell, I could make a list of 50 things more. Here's one, I have three checks worth about 200 bucks sitting in my room, the thought of going to a bank makes me physically ill and I can't see myself depositing them.

IndieMatty
08-25-2005, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Of course, if this kid is BSing you, by all accounts you have the right to shove the XBox up his ass with no lube.

[/ QUOTE ] No all my friends have it from this kid. It's not b.s. I just have to get the money to him w/o my friends little brother (who left for college today)

Soul Daddy
08-25-2005, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have no witty retort. Hell, I could make a list of 50 things more. Here's one, I have three checks worth about 200 bucks sitting in my room, the thought of going to a bank makes me physically ill and I can't see myself depositing them.

[/ QUOTE ]
Awesome. I'm the same way. You should just sign two of them over to this guy for the system.

My grandparents still just give me a check for xmas. A nominal amount, like $30 I think. This year, I didn't cash it. They called and asked about it and I claimed I lost it. They sent another one and I never cashed that one either. I'm pretty sure they're very confused about it.

Shajen
08-25-2005, 02:15 PM
Dude, rather than confuse them, just tell them thanks but it isn't necessary.

Soul Daddy
08-25-2005, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I know, I know. I intended to cash both of them but just never did. I tend to underestimate my own laziness.

Shajen
08-25-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I know, I know. I intended to cash both of them but just never did. I tend to underestimate my own laziness.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bow down before the masters of laziness that are you and Patrick.

Wow.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-25-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I bow down before the masters of laziness that are you and Patrick.

Wow.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wait... how'd I get lumped into this one?

Shajen
08-25-2005, 02:39 PM
My bad duder, I obviously meant Matty.

Sorry. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

http://www.dulley.com/cards/sorry.jpg

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-25-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My bad duder, I obviously meant Matty.

Sorry. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

http://www.dulley.com/cards/sorry.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, good. For the record, I'm not disagreeing, just wondering how you found out.

stabn
08-25-2005, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

jvs

[/ QUOTE ]
The fact of the matter remains that, in the end, Mario 2 is a Mario game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is it even getting mentioned in a best poll though? It was left out for a reason. Can't we just ignore the fact that it was ever released?

YourFoxyGrandma
08-25-2005, 02:44 PM
The Mario Bros. franchise is far superior to the Sonic one; Sonic was just never really made loveable enough to really be successful. As far as the games go, I think Super Mario World for the SNES was the most fun I've ever had playing a Mario game, though Mario 3 was a much bigger step forward from the original, IMO. Sonic 2 was the best of that series.

RunDownHouse
08-25-2005, 02:45 PM
The tech guys here at work have modded pretty much everyone here's XBox. Same deal, any game from old school Nintendo to Dreamcast to PS. Its pretty sweet. All it takes is the chip and a new harddrive, so $350 sounds pretty reasonable. I think the tech guys here ask for about $50-70 for the parts.

Soul Daddy
08-25-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why is it even getting mentioned in a best poll though? It was left out for a reason. Can't we just ignore the fact that it was ever released?

[/ QUOTE ]
Never!!! Mario 2 and Zelda 2 were fine games that got [censored] on for going in a different direction and it's high time people admit this.

stabn
08-25-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Never!!! Mario 2 and Zelda 2 were fine games that got [censored] on for going in a different direction and it's high time people admit this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mario two blows, especially when compared to one and 3 (wich ownzors). Link was a sweet game that i spent a lot of time playing on my NES.

Fabian
08-25-2005, 02:51 PM
I too think Super Mario World (SNES) was the best game.

astroglide
08-25-2005, 02:54 PM
mario world was the best for me by a mile. i'm sure a lot of people like mario64 best too. why can't anybody make a decent poll?

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-25-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
mario world was the best for me by a mile. i'm sure a lot of people like mario64 best too. why can't anybody make a decent poll?

[/ QUOTE ]
I hated Mario64. If you like that style of game, then Mario Sunshine on the Cube is infinitely better.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-25-2005, 02:59 PM
Oh yeah, and I'll jump on the Mario World for SNES bandwagon. This was clearly the best Mario game (unless you can count MarioKart).

stabn
08-25-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah, and I'll jump on the Mario World for SNES bandwagon. This was clearly the best Mario game (unless you can count MarioKart).

[/ QUOTE ]

That was definitely a great game, but i think it is hard to beat being able to fly for the first time in a mario game. I'm really not sure which i played more though since i spent countless hours playing both.

http://www.classicgaming.com/tmk/images/smb3_lost14.gif

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-25-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That was definitely a great game, but i think it is hard to beat being able to fly for the first time in a mario game. I'm really not sure which i played more though since i spent countless hours playing both.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but Yoshi! Come on.

stabn
08-25-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yoshi is very hard to beat. Spitting turtles out? Damn...

Army Eye
08-25-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sonic was all the same lame [censored] over and over again. Mario is the all-time greatest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true at all. I think Sonic games generally had more variety to them. Some of the most amazingly creative levels I've ever seen were in Sonic games. And Sonic games had unique bosses, something the Mario series never grasped /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Both series are among the best ever. I won't allow baseless disrespecting of either one!

astroglide
08-25-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hated Mario64. If you like that style of game, then Mario Sunshine on the Cube is infinitely better.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, you're not an m64 fan. i have friends that are, and they found it to be infinitely better than sunshine. your sunshine comment may be true for non-m64 fans though.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-25-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well, you're not an m64 fan. i have friends that are, and they found it to be infinitely better than sunshine. your sunshine comment may be true for non-m64 fans though.

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess so.

ThaSaltCracka
08-25-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]You forgot to mention the cape, and the alternate routes to take in levels and on the map. Clearly SMW is the best game.

08-25-2005, 04:34 PM
Ms. Pacman is the best game. I am the master at that game and I will give anyone 50k if they can beat my high score.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-25-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]You forgot to mention the cape, and the alternate routes to take in levels and on the map. Clearly SMW is the best game.

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course. You're right. I just went in with enough to get the job done. Yoshi's enough to put it over the top without piling it on. I just thought I'd show a bit of good sportsmanship.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-25-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ms. Pacman is the best game. I am the master at that game and I will give anyone 50k if they can beat my high score.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ms. Pacman is the best game ever. 50k of what?

tbach24
08-25-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going after the originals. The others would've cleaned up.

On another note, what does the music box in mario 3 do?

08-25-2005, 04:40 PM
The benjamins.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-25-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You presumed to make this poll and you don't even know what the music box does?

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-25-2005, 04:41 PM
You need an animated avatar with Phil's eyes shifting around.

stabn
08-25-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course. You're right. I just went in with enough to get the job done. Yoshi's enough to put it over the top without piling it on. I just thought I'd show a bit of good sportsmanship.

[/ QUOTE ]

Screw you guys with your logic and your facts and [censored].

tbach24
08-25-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You presumed to make this poll and you don't even know what the music box does?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just busted out the old systems the other day. I hadn't played SMB3 since I was like 8 and I was probably [censored] dumb like all little kids then.

08-25-2005, 05:03 PM
I play Mario sometimes, I enjoy it. Still not as good as Ms. Pacman.

srm80
08-26-2005, 02:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so you beat Greenstein's ol' lady's high score and you think you can take on the world eh?

srm80
08-26-2005, 02:59 AM
Goldeneye 64...took a lot hours out of my life. Was it worth it? Hell yes!