PDA

View Full Version : when to slow down

scott111
08-25-2005, 10:05 AM
Pacific .50/1. Unraised preflop. 77 on a flop of T 7 3.

Flop he bet, I raise, he calls.

Turn is a 3, I bet out, we both raise until it is capped.

River is a Q, As I continue to raise I start to think that he could not possibly have a worse hand than mine. What hands does even a loose .5/1 player give unlimited action on a board like this? I capped the betting. The question is when should I have slowed down?

benkath1
08-25-2005, 10:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Pacific .50/1

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The question is when should I have slowed down?

[/ QUOTE ]

never. you will win more of these than you will lose.

08-25-2005, 10:11 AM
Stop if you want a new honda civic.
Keep going if you want a new mercedes.

thesharpie
08-25-2005, 10:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What hands does even a loose .5/1 player give unlimited action on a board like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Will he bet bottom pair on the flop? Will he 3 bet when raised with 2 pair or higher? If so you're usually good.

If he's passive I might slow down at some point since he's not gonna bet low pair on the flop and that's about the only hand you beat that plays like this.

08-25-2005, 10:13 AM
I do the same, unless I have a read that he has TTT33.

scott111
08-25-2005, 10:39 AM
I find a LOT of callers calling with crap here, a raise often means they have a little something. The board was so uncoordinated (no flush potential either, btw) that I really started to put him on pocket pair that hit the flop. A little too late though since I capped on the river and he showed me TT.

I agree that I'll win more than I'll lose with this hand, but against one opponent I don't know if it's worth re-raising. Should I really wager even money in the face of such aggression? Maybe I'm just being to results oriented after a bad session. He could be in there with T 7 I guess, but I'm behind 33 and TT (and QQ by the river).

WSOP Bound
08-25-2005, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Pacific .50/1. Unraised preflop. 77 on a flop of T 7 3.

Flop he bet, I raise, he calls.

Turn is a 3, I bet out, we both raise until it is capped.

River is a Q, As I continue to raise I start to think that he could not possibly have a worse hand than mine. What hands does even a loose .5/1 player give unlimited action on a board like this? I capped the betting. The question is when should I have slowed down?

[/ QUOTE ]

:grunch:

There's only two hands that you are behind to here (TT & 33) either of these should have reraised you on the flop. Something like A3 or maybe AT if he's really aggressive. I don't think that you have much to worry about, get as much money in the pot as your opponent will allow you to.

Now off to see what everyone else had to say

WSOP Bound
08-25-2005, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I'm just being to results oriented after a bad session. He could be in there with T 7 I guess, but I'm behind 33 and TT (and QQ by the river).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, I think he could have hands here that you beat. Was he in the blinds? If so T7 and 73 are real possibilities as are A3s, K3s and maybe even 34s. Honestly, you should thank him for saving you a BB by not giving you a chance to cap the flop too.

benkath1
08-25-2005, 11:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, you should thank him for saving you a BB by not giving you a chance to cap the flop too.

[/ QUOTE ]

What in the world does that mean?

scott111
08-25-2005, 11:05 AM
I think it means that villain was being tricky by slowplaying his top set. This saved me a big bet (2 SB actually) because I would have happily capped it.

benkath1
08-25-2005, 11:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it means that villain was being tricky by slowplaying his top set. This saved me a big bet (2 SB actually) because I would have happily capped it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are being results oriented. Don't let that change the way you play your flopped sets in the future. I could just as easily seen villain showdown AT in this spot. From what I remember, Pacific players are just plain bad.

WSOP Bound
08-25-2005, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that is exactly what I meant.

WSOP Bound
08-25-2005, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, you should thank him for saving you a BB by not giving you a chance to cap the flop too.

[/ QUOTE ]

What in the world does that mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

It means that hero would have been correct to cap all streets. So if villian had not gotten fancy on the flop and had just re-raised he would have netted an aditional BB.

nomadtla
08-25-2005, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A little too late though since I capped on the river and he showed me TT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Say it with me now

"If I lose with a set and I don't lose a lot of chips I played it wrong"

Nothing you can do about the results man. I'd play it the same way everyday and twice on Sundays.

BatsShadow
08-25-2005, 12:57 PM
What position is he in? Pacific is full of donks. I'm sensing Q7, especially if he's in the blinds.

This brings up a good point: How hard would it be to add Pacific to the converter? I probably should do that, eh?

BatsShadow
08-25-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Stop if you want a new honda civic.
Keep going if you want a new mercedes.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are going to say things like this, at least use a new plymouth neon or a grand am or something. A civic is a great car.</shameless plug for my automobile>