PDA

View Full Version : AA to start the night

Jeffro
04-08-2003, 11:59 AM
Online 2-4

5th hand of the night and I look down to see AcAs(woohoo). I open raise UTG +2, folded to button who calls, BB calls
*** FLOP *** : [ Ad 5h 2d ]
Can’t get better can it, ace and two rags, BB checks, I bet and they both call. Oh how I love calling stations.
*** TURN *** : [ Ad 5h 2d ] [ 3c ]
Couldn’t have helped who was going call the pre-flop raise with a 4. BB checks, I bet, button raises, BB folds, well I figure he has just decided to bet his AJ, so I re-raise, he caps, I call. Can he have the 4.
*** RIVER *** : [ Ad 5h 2d 3c ] [ Jc ]
I have no clue to what he has so I check and call.

Too aggressive on the turn??
Too passive on the river??
Results to follow.

Homer
04-08-2003, 12:02 PM
I'm guessing he has 44...or maybe 22, 33, or 55. I would bet out on the river and call a raise because I find it hard to believe that he has a 4. He knows that you don't have a 4 because you raised preflop from EP, so he could just as easily be pounding an underset as he could be the straight.

-- Homer

Bob T.
04-08-2003, 12:31 PM
I think that your play on the turn was appropriate. When it gets capped I think you have reason to be concerned. I think that either betting and calling one raise on the river, or check calling would be ok. He probably showed you AX suited, so the question is was it A5, A4, A3, or A2?

After he caps the turn, and you bet out, if he has A5, I think he has to be pretty concerned, So I think you will probably only be raised if he has A4. If you check after the cap on the turn, he will probably bet, so you probably make the same either way, unless you are behind, in which case you lose an extra bet by betting. I don't think that you could be faulted for betting the river, though.

Louie Landale
04-08-2003, 01:28 PM
The conflicting statements here are "calling stations" and "couldn't.. call a raise with a 4". Yes, he most certainly can.

The turn 3-bet is reasonable against most players, although there are some that you are almost surely beat.

Once its capped on the turn I wouldn't bet again. Throwing it away is asking a bit much. Seems reasonably played to me.

"I have no clue to what he has so I check and call." Well, you DO have a solid clue but you should still call.

- Louie

bad beetz
04-08-2003, 04:41 PM
after the turn cap you have to believe he is a freak and has a four, I check call the river.

Robk
04-08-2003, 05:59 PM
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a turn raise from the following hands: AdKd, AKo, any set, any Ax with 2 pair, etc. And if you are beat you have outs. So I don't think your turn play is overaggressive at all. But with 4 to a straight on board and my opponent capping the turn, I would certainly check, call the river. Whatever he was so proud of on the turn is probably putting in a bet anyway, so I don't think a value bet is in order, as you could easily wind up paying off a raise from a 4.

elysium
04-08-2003, 09:06 PM
hi jeff
you lost this one, but there was nothing you could do. when he raises on the turn, you should call, if your description of him as being a calling station is corrcet. when these players fire up, they usually have what the board is representing. it wasn't terrible though, i'm sure some will say you played the turn fine. it's borderline. and you have to call on the river. you played the river perfectly. no way to lose more than you care to on this one.

Jeffro
04-09-2003, 09:05 AM
Of course he has the 4, called the preflop raise with K4suited (at least they were suited). The more I looked at the turn I think I had to 3 bet it, as many have pointed out it could have easily been two pair or an underset, when he capped, he is either an idiot or has the 4. And with no help on the river I think the check call was in order. As long as he keeps calling with these hands it will eventually come back to me.