PDA

View Full Version : Pushing AK suited, level 1, 11$

spliff
08-25-2005, 08:29 AM
As i understand it AK is an underdog to any pair in a showdown. I have read that you should even though almost allways push it when confronted with a small raise.

This was the 3 round of level 1 at gaming club.

i am UTG and calls with AK suited, one more limps and BB raises to 120, Wwhat should i do ?

Blinds 10/20

08-25-2005, 08:36 AM
AK is my fovourite hand actually..I would call.

spliff
08-25-2005, 08:41 AM
That was my original thought too, but i have read that it is better to go all in.

I did, and last to pocket 9's.

I really don't understand all this push EV+ stuff.

At "How to beat Partypoker 10$ NL sng" it says that at level 1-3 it is OK, to raise allin with AK, but just don't call an allin.

I can't understand that statement, since AK is underdog to all pairs, and with 10 players a pairs who calls your allin is'nt that unlikely - i think.

john_
08-25-2005, 09:15 AM
You're taking a line out of context and applying it to a game that might potentially be different. I'm not sure how the structure works at gaming club but its probably very different from party poker 10's.

First off the blind structure at the party poker 10's probably goes up faster than the structure you are playing and probably with fewer chips(800). So therefore, you tend to take a lot more chances with hands like this. Also, just because its better to be all in rather than call an all in doesn't mean your best line can't be to call the small raise.

Yes, when you are called when you make this play you will usually be a small dog. The reason its +EV is because of the combined probability of you winning the pot without them calling & the probability of you winning if they call. Think about it like this, if I'm sitting somewhere behind these two raises with JJ and I'm looking at a raise followed by an all in I'm not going to call in most circumstances.