PDA

View Full Version : Body-Mind Problem:

pif
08-25-2005, 07:59 AM
(sorry for my wrong english)

how it can be that 2 diferent kind of "things" r connected to each other? the physical world, and the mental world?
the problem is that if they both "realy exist" than it cant be that they interact one with other because they r different kind of things (thats the meaning of diferent kind, that they dont have something in common that it must for the interaction posibility).

thats why i think that we can choose only in one option from 2:
1) the physical world is the real existence, and the mind is illusion (but than the problem arise about us..and thats kind of argument is almost unthinkable)
2) the mental world is the real exitence and the phsyical is only illusion, a dream. (but then we cant realy get a proper explanation of science phenomenon)

(a third option that nothing exist is also possible but unthinkable)
my opinion is tilt to #1 choice. we r illusion, we wasnt, we will not, therefor WE R NOT EXIST! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

PairTheBoard
08-25-2005, 09:07 AM
You may not be able to help your English but I think you do know enough to use the word "are" rather than the childish "r". I also think you know enough to capitalize the first letter at the beginning of a sentence. not doing so is as bad as not using periods it makes it hard to read

PairTheBoard

The once and future king
08-25-2005, 09:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You may not be able to help your English but I think you do know enough to use the word "are" rather than the childish "r". I also think you know enough to capitalize the first letter at the beginning of a sentence. not doing so is as bad as not using periods it makes it hard to read

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

Most arrogant and ignorant post I have ever read.

tomdemaine
08-25-2005, 09:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

must be new

PairTheBoard
08-25-2005, 09:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I was being kind and truthful in pointing those things out to him. He's made 80 posts and evidently no one else has cared enough to tell him. When people post here using chat room protocol somebody should tell them this is the wrong place for it.

ok, maybe my tone was unfriendly. For that I apologize.

PairTheBoard

pif
08-25-2005, 09:43 AM
You could send me a private message.

PairTheBoard
08-25-2005, 09:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You could send me a private message.

[/ QUOTE ]

Point taken.

PairTheBoard

pif
08-25-2005, 09:47 AM
The post turn out to be Pif-English problem.

Georgia Avenue
08-25-2005, 09:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the problem is that if they both "realy exist" than it cant be that they interact one with other because they r different kind of things

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree that the mind and the body are obviously two different "kinds of things".

The physical world is only experienced by us though the net of our consciousness. So in fact either: A. We are incapable of determining anything outside of our mental experiences (Mind>Body) or B. the physical universe is congruent with our mental systems, probably because they are made outta the same stuff (Mind=body).

Or: C. Some other thing or combination. I’m just a MA, go ask the pros!

In any event, we exist.
Good luck with the ESL lesson!

PairTheBoard
08-25-2005, 10:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
pif --
<font color="white"> .. </font>
how it can be that 2 diferent kind of "things" r connected to each other? the physical world, and the mental world?
the problem is that if they both "realy exist" than it cant be that they interact one with other because they r different kind of things (thats the meaning of diferent kind, that they dont have something in common that it must for the interaction posibility).

[/ QUOTE ]

It was also easier for me to point out the writing flaws than to tackle the the problem you presented. Are the mental world and physical world "different kinds of things"? I think the materialists here would say they are Not different kinds of things. They would say the mental world just consists of a network of elecro-chemical reactions. Even some religious people might say the mind is subject to physical laws while the Soul is not. My feeling is that there's more going on with the mind than the materialists say, but I don't know what it is.

But if there is more going on with the mind than its physical ground, I never thought about whether that presents a problem for it interacting with it's physical ground. My guess is that whatever nonphysical thing there might be about the mind that we don't understand, our lack of understanding would includes its abilility to interact with the physical.

btw, Your pif-English is fine and I'm sure will improve with practice. I admire anyone who can learn more than one language as I have never been able to.

PairTheBoard

carlo
08-25-2005, 12:05 PM
The sense world is Maya--all is spirit.The mind-body duality is reprobate. Physical perception is consequential to the Lucerferic and Ahrimanic clouding of spiritual sensibilities and thus we have space.

carlo

pif
08-25-2005, 01:02 PM
Can u measure feelings? what is ur hapinnes weight? how much space its occupy?
i can measure an nuron process whil i cant measure the spirit coupling to this process.
There is no meaning in the mind world to all the physical world magnitudes and instruments. ==&gt; they are intrinsically different.

About the interaction subject, all our physics is based on the fact that two elements interact with each other only when they share something in common. we cant understand proceses that dont behave like this.
and this is exactly the mind-body problem.

theweatherman
08-25-2005, 01:16 PM
Read Rene Descartes Meditations on First Philosophy in it he goes into great depth about the mind-body problem

David Sklansky
08-26-2005, 06:06 AM
"ok, maybe my tone was unfriendly. For that I apologize."

PairTheBoard

Someone actually said that just one little post of your was the most arrogant AND ignorant post he EVER read. In other words even though it would be almost certain that it would take two different posts, probably from two different authors, to get both adjectives applied to them, (from a reknowned philosopher no less) you did it in one fell swoop. Yet instead of basking in that glory you APOLOGIZE. What am I going to do with you?

David Sklansky
08-26-2005, 06:09 AM
"Read Rene Descartes Meditations on First Philosophy in it he goes into great depth about the mind-body problem"

I think Descartes ideas on this subject have been almost totally discredited. Better to read my last chapter in Poker Gaming And Life. (I give permission if someone wants to reprint it here.)

PairTheBoard
08-26-2005, 07:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"ok, maybe my tone was unfriendly. For that I apologize."

PairTheBoard

Someone actually said that just one little post of your was the most arrogant AND ignorant post he EVER read. In other words even though it would be almost certain that it would take two different posts, probably from two different authors, to get both adjectives applied to them, (from a reknowned philosopher no less) you did it in one fell swoop. Yet instead of basking in that glory you APOLOGIZE. What am I going to do with you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Notice I did Not apologize for being Arrogant and Ignorant. Only for being unfriendly.

PairTheBoard

The Dude
08-27-2005, 05:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
WTF? First of all, I'm a big fan of clear, concise communication, especially when attemptin to tackle subjects as intense as the OP's question. Second of all, the OP apologized for using poor English in the first place, which seems to give an open invitation for people to help him out.

I'm with David on this one. I can't believe PTB apologized for anything.

David Sklansky
08-27-2005, 06:13 AM
"I'm with David on this one. I can't believe PTB apologized for anything."

No your'e not. PTB apologized because he is a nice guy. Except to me. So I have to zing him once a day.

PairTheBoard
08-27-2005, 07:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"I'm with David on this one. I can't believe PTB apologized for anything."

No your'e not. PTB apologized because he is a nice guy. Except to me. So I have to zing him once a day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except you fumbled the ball when I set you up perfectly with my,

"Notice I did Not apologize for being Arrogant and Ignorant. Only for being unfriendly."

PairTheBoard

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
08-27-2005, 04:45 PM
the mind is a real, physicaly existing thing as well as the body. in fact it is part of the body and its actions are based on physical variables.

daryn
08-27-2005, 10:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I also think you know enough to capitalize the first letter at the beginning of a sentence. not doing so is as bad as not using periods it makes it hard to read

[/ QUOTE ]

isn't the word "not" above supposed to be capitalized? owned.

PairTheBoard
08-28-2005, 07:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I also think you know enough to capitalize the first letter at the beginning of a sentence. not doing so is as bad as not using periods it makes it hard to read

[/ QUOTE ]

isn't the word "not" above supposed to be capitalized? owned.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also the word "it" in the phrase "it makes". Furthermore, there should be periods after the words "periods" and "read".

It's true I was doing more than just being helpful when I made my post. I was also criticizing pif and I think my criticism was justified. When you are already handicapped by something it makes no sense for you to handicap yourself further. When you ask to be excused for an inadequacy your request for consideration becomes disingenuous when you don't do what you can to mitigate the problems your inadequacy produces.

Of course we can excuse pif for his poor English. But shouldn't he do what he Can do to make his posts as readable as possible? When he Knows there are things he can Easily do to improve the readabilty of his poor English yet he doesn't give the reader the consideration to do them, I think he deserves criticism.

PairTheBoard