PDA

View Full Version : Isolation raise on the end - your thoughts?

kyleb
08-25-2005, 06:36 AM
7 Card Stud High-Low ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (hand converter (http://www.geocities.com/greenage22/7StudConverter.hta.txt))

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___completes___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif___calls___calls
Hero: 7/images/graemlins/club.gif 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___raises
Seat 4: xx xx 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif___brings-in___folds
Seat 5: xx xx A/images/graemlins/spade.gif___calls___folds
Seat 7: xx xx J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___folds

On third street I raise for deception with the ace up - this seems pretty standard, no more explanation really needed. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[edit]: Actually, some explanation is needed. I raise the completion to isolate the limper ace and to put pressure on the completor. Seat 1 can complete with 776, KK7, or many hands here. I wanted to know where I was, and signal strength with my ace.

4th Street - (7.50 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif___calls
Hero: 7/images/graemlins/club.gif 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/club.gif___bets

I catch a nice low card and bet out into what I can identify as busted low draws. Seat 1 in this hand is strong, Seat 2 is weak-tight and can sometimes be a calling station.

5th Street - (5.25 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif___raises
Seat 2: xx xx 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___calls
Hero: 7/images/graemlins/club.gif 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif___bets___calls

On fifth I catch bad but lead out anyway to maintain deception - "does he have split Aces or is he making a continuation bet on a low draw?" is what I want them to think. Seat 1 raises me and Seat 2 insta-calls, and I go ahead and call with my board lock for low.

6th Street - (11.25 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif___checks___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif___bets
Hero: 7/images/graemlins/club.gif 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif___checks___calls

I check to the raiser, who checks behind (?), and Seat 2 leads out. Okay, so you've made your rough eight, but I still have outs to take half and the pot is too big to fold here. I am also putting Seat 1 on a diamond flush draw that maybe started off a seven-low draw when he caught the five on fifth street, and if I can catch an ace or king, might win the high side here.

River - (14.25 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif xx___checks___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif xx___bets___calls
Hero: 7/images/graemlins/club.gif 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif___checks___raises

I've caught a tricky card here - I'm almost sure my low is not best, and I think I might be beaten for high by Seat 1, unless he was on a four-low/flush draw and missed. I check, and Seat 1 checks behind (!). Seat 2 bets as expected, meaning he either improved his low, caught a decent high card, or is betting his board lock low hand. I sense severe weakness in Seat 1, so I check-raise to eliminate him from the field, just in case he caught a low pair (or had one the whole time and did not improve). Seat 1 thinks for 3-5 seconds and folds, and Seat 2 calls.

Total pot: 18.25 BB

How do you like how I played the hand? I appreciate all comments/suggestions. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

bigredlemon
08-25-2005, 06:52 AM
i'd play it the same way... except perhaps flat calling 3rd

blumpkin22
08-25-2005, 06:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I go ahead and call with my board lock for low.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
or is betting his board lock low hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think either of these cases is a board lock. In the first scenario, Seat 1 could be drawing to a 7-5 low, a better draw than your 7-6. In the second case Seat 2 could only have a "board lock split": if he had a 6-4 low he would be sure your low is not better, but it is still possible for you too have a 6-4 low. Obviously in the second case it is rather remote that both of you have perfect 6 lows.

Interesting hand though.

kyleb
08-25-2005, 06:55 AM
Sorry about the misuse of "board lock," as I seem to not fully grasp it. Any comments on the hand specifically, though?

bigredlemon
08-25-2005, 07:00 AM
I do agree that he's probably drawing to the second best low, but given everyone's board, playing it any other way will give away too much info. River raise is still warranted in hopes of getting half of a big pot.

kyleb
08-25-2005, 07:04 AM
I really thought Seat 1 was weak when he checked behind on seventh, since Seat 2 is liable to check through if he did not improve his low or catch a high card. If Seat 2 caught a high card, my low might be good for half, and if he improved his low, AK high is probably good for high.

All in all, I sensed huge weakness in Seat 1.