PDA

View Full Version : How many bigbets to play at a certain level?

08-25-2005, 04:55 AM
I'm rather new to this forum. Been playing poker for around 7 month and been doing ok. What puzzels me is that the guys here at this forum seems to be good players... but still are playing low-limit. How big bankrole do u like to have to be able to go up a level? I want 300 bigbets to play at a certain level.

What about u?

sthief09
08-25-2005, 05:00 AM
if you play online you should probably have closer to 500 bets unless you're crushing a game

pokergrader
08-25-2005, 06:18 AM
300BB is fine as long as you are ready to move down if you hit a bad run.

k_squared
08-25-2005, 01:31 PM
although shorthanded the variance goes up so the chance of hitting a 'bad' run increases. A healthy short handed bankroll is definately closer to 500BB's especially if you plan on multi-tabling. Multi-tabling has the effect of allowing you to get more hands in more quickly and the net affect is to reduce total variance, but consequently you will also run into times when you suffer substantial loses at a given time because you just happen to be running bad on all your tables. It would be like having 4 consequtive bad sessions at a B&M, something that is far from extra-ordinary even though it might not be a common occurence.

I think many people on this site are very conscious of bankroll management and that is a HUGE part of why they are successful. You can be the best player in the world, but if you play underbankrolled you will eventually go broke.

k_squared

einbert
08-25-2005, 01:43 PM
I want 500BB to take a shot at a game, 600 or 700 to move into the game fulltime. I am pretty risk averse though, and my bankroll is bigger than my non-bankroll assets so I feel a very large need to "protect" it. You can probably get away with playing a game full time with 500BB, but I would drop down if I got down to 300BB for sure.

If you play long enough you will learn what we all have learned: in this game, your bankroll will grow faster than your skills will develop. You would be wellserved to spend more time developing your skills and thinking about the game than trying to play in the highest possible game your bankroll will allow.

JoshuaD
08-25-2005, 01:50 PM
Einbert hit it dead on. I've got 500 right now, and I want to have more. 500 is my minimum for being at a 6max level regularly.

The more you have the better. Don't push yourself through the limits. Move up when you're confident you're going to beat the game and you've got a hefty BR for that level.

sweetjazz
08-25-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

If you play long enough you will learn what we all have learned: in this game, your bankroll will grow faster than your skills will develop. You would be wellserved to spend more time developing your skills and thinking about the game than trying to play in the highest possible game your bankroll will allow.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with your statement about bankroll growing faster than skills, but I also want to add that one way to increase the rate at which your skills develop is to take shots at higher limits.

Of course, some people take shots in such a way that their skills don't develop and they basically insure that they will eventually go broke, as their skills stagnate but their thirst for higher stakes grows and grows.

But if you approach the game with the mindset of improving your skills and your main reason for wanting to move up is for the challenge of playing a different (and usually more formidable) group of opponents, then I generally think this is a good idea when possible.

Provided you are adequately bankrolled for the limit you are currently at, I don't see any reason why can't take 50 BB for a higher limit and give it a try for a while. All that is needed is the emotional discipline to move back down if you run bad and the willingness to study the new level and see what you can learn about your game, looking for ways to improve it.

I think this is the right advice to give, even though many players who take shots don't do the requisite work or don't have the necessary discipline in order to be successful.

At the same time, if the decision is close, there is something to be said for taking the more conservative option. If you feel you need a bigger bankroll before moving up, then grind it out at the limit you are currently beating. Ultimately, it doesn't matter what limit one is playing at. What matters is how developed one's skill set is and what one is doing to increase those skills.