PDA

View Full Version : Would you be giving up too much...?

08-25-2005, 02:18 AM
I've been thinking about this for awhile, and while I do know that it would be considered incorrect strategy by most, would you be giving up too much by generally folding small or mid PPs (say, 22-88) in low limit games?

The only reason I bring this up is because after 5,000 hands (I know, small sample, but hear me out), my only profitable smaller PP is 44. Everything else 22-TT is in the red. There's no doubt that most of this is due to the way that I play them, so I'm wondering how much it would hurt me if I just did away with them all together (aside from obvious cases, like on the button with 4-5 callers preflop).

Maybe it's because I'm running on very little sleep, or because I've had a recent downswing, but I just needed to get this thought down somewhere. Any comments as to how stupid this post is or possibly how I should adjust my strategy (I'd like to hear the general strategy others use for small-mid PPs) so that I'm not in the red with PPs would be much appreciated.

- thing85 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Hoss1193
08-25-2005, 04:32 AM
Probably just sample size. I've got 5k hands to date in PT as well...and my only PP losers at this point are 33, 44...and KK. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Not to say that these results are any more representative..they're not. Just that I wouldn't draw any conclusions from the fact that PPs are currently negative for you...it'll change.

emonrad87
08-25-2005, 04:43 AM
Your sample size makes analysis of your results with individual hands utterly meaningless. You need upwards of 150k hands to be able to get anything from individual hands.

As for how to play them, it's impossible to give a blanket statement saying do this, do that, and to do so would be a disservice to you. If you think youre playing them poorly, post hands in the micro or small stakes forum that you were confused on.

CORed
08-25-2005, 09:52 AM
Folding the low end of that range (22-55) in early position is reasonable if the game is fairly agressive preflop. However, routinely folding smaller pocket pairs when you can get into an unraised, multi-way pot will deprive you of some of your most profitable hands: Middle and bottom sets. Middle and bottom sets are generally more profitable than top sets because you are more likely to have an opponent with top pair who will give you lots of action. Your bad numbers, as you suspect, are probably a result of small sample size and possibly the way you play the hands. Things to look at: Are you going to far when you don't flop a set? In general, you should fold on the flop if you don't flop a set, overpair or (sometimes) 2nd pair. Are you getting maximum value from your sets? In general, you should be betting or raising your sets at every opportunity, all the way to the river. You should almost never fold a set. Even if you're behind a straight or flush, you have a very good draw to a full house or quads. If the board makes straights or flushes possible and your opponent raises or reraises you, you may want to just call down, but, unless your opponent shows you his straight or flush, you should almost never fold. You will run into an bluff or over-played 2 pair often enough to make a call on the river profitable.

08-25-2005, 10:30 AM
If you are often seeing 5-way (or greater) pots, then its usually alright to play any pair for set value if you can limp. Only a general rule, and certain game conditions may change that. Coldcalling with this type of hand without extra callers in who are guaranteed to call the raise (or who have already CC'd, which is common in loose low-limit games), is probably a mistake in most cases.

jba
08-25-2005, 10:45 AM
nothing can be inferred from 5000 hands