PDA

View Full Version : Shipping is more than the price of the book?

Rotterdaum
08-25-2005, 02:03 AM
Is that normal? I live in Toronto Canada and Sklansky's Theory of Poker from this site costs $23 for the book and $27 for shipping. I've never heard of anything like this .... and I don't see an option to reduce the price of shipping by modifying the method...

Sorry about posting this here, it feels wrong, but I didn't know where else to ask the question, and this price of shipping is very strange to me

Siegmund
08-25-2005, 04:41 AM
Yes, it is normal. Normal, that is, for companies to assume that one shipping method fits all customers.

I've dealt with several booksellers, both wholesale and resale, that are accustomed to shipping everything by UPS (which, within the 48 states, is often cheaper than the postal service, especially if you live near a large population center, because UPS prices vary with distance while postal service prices don't) and quote fantastically expensive prices to ship to Alaska, Hawaii, overseas, or even just to the far coast of the US.

$27 is in the ballpark for what a next-day-air shipment to a foreign country actually costs.

However, no, it's NOT normal for you to actually PAY that price for a book to be shipped to you. You don't have to have it sent overnight by an expensive courier. If you were to order that same book from me, I would normally charge you $7 to send it in a Global Priority Mail envelope and it'd take 3-5 days to reach you.

If you already have a place you want to buy from picked out and you don't like the automated shipping quote, phone them up, speak to a real live person, and the chances are very good that they will offer you a range of shipping times and prices to choose from.

Rob-L
08-25-2005, 10:24 AM
Would ordering the book from Amazon Canada help keep the shipping prices down?

http://www.amazon.ca

ChuckyB
08-25-2005, 07:25 PM
I live in Winnipeg and I've been ordering from amazon.ca.

If your order is over CDN$39 shipping is free. I ordered Theory of Poker & Harrington on Hold'em Vol. 1 at the same time. Got them delivered within a week for about $48 (free shipping)

Just got HoH2 and Small Stakes Hold'em yesterday...8 days, $42.

I love amazon.ca. chapters.ca is improving.

Rotterdaum
08-25-2005, 11:35 PM
amazon.ca seems nice but I don't hvae a credit card and they don't seem to accept other payment methods besides gift coupons

maybe i'll find someone with one
i wonder if its possible to get a longer but cheaper shipment from 2+2...

playersare
08-26-2005, 12:45 AM
I am an authorized 2+2 book seller and I can get it to you cheaper (I'd say $30 postpaid to Canada). check my profile.

08-26-2005, 05:11 AM
dont you have friends with a creditcrad? ask one of them if he orders it for you!