PDA

View Full Version : Help, I lost my wireless connection for my laptop

DOTTT
08-25-2005, 01:36 AM
Hi everyone,
I was playing around with my network adapter settings, and the next thing I know I cant find my wireless connection at all. My router and cable are all plugged in and my desktop work fine, but I cant pick my a signal from my laptop. It also looks like the adapter isn’t working anymore (it's a Dlink airplus) and I uninstalled/ installed it again with no luck. Anyone know what went wrong and how I can get this thing to work again? Also I have no idea how I set up the connection on my laptop in the first place can you please tell me the steps, if that's what I have to do.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

DOTTT
08-25-2005, 01:37 PM
Anyone?

StevieG
08-25-2005, 02:46 PM
DOTTT-

What is your OS?

DOTTT
08-25-2005, 03:35 PM
Windows X/P

wonderwes
08-25-2005, 03:46 PM
if you can not reach your router at all, see if you can plug an ethernet cord into it to remote into it. If you are locked out of the router, get a pin and use the reset hard switch on the router itself. And when in doubt, reboot reboot reboot.

StevieG
08-25-2005, 03:56 PM
very good suggestion. Once you try that direct connection, you know at least the wired side is good.

also, if you go to your network connections, do you see a line for your Dlink card there? If not, you may want to go to the add hardware wizard and re-add it. If it is present, and the status is disabled, re-enable it. Try disabling and re-enabling in any case.

Are you using the dlink utility or the Windows Wireless Zero Configuration to manage your wireless connection?

DOTTT
08-25-2005, 07:01 PM
My cable modem is connected to my router and I have a connection on my desktop. As for my laptop I don't see the Dlink card there. I installed manually and afterwards 'I got a hardware can not start code 10' message.

Any suggestions? Thanks for the help.

StevieG
08-25-2005, 08:05 PM
there is this. (http://www.expansys.com/forumthread.asp?code=DWL-650PLUS&thread=12)

are you running on batteries when doing this, or plugged in? you might want to try while the laptop is plugged in.

also, do you have an install CD for the device?

DOTTT
08-25-2005, 08:21 PM
Yes I have an install CD and have tried several times, but doesn't seem to work. I now tried with my laptop plugged in, and nothing. As an alternative I was thinking of using my built in card, it says connected on the bottom, but I get a 'web page can not be found' message anytime I try to access the internet. Is this because my card isn't compatible with my router (Linksys G) or do I have to configure something? Thanks.

StevieG
08-25-2005, 08:35 PM
Are you using WEP or WPA with your wireless router? Is this configured for your internal wireless also?

Do you have an IP address? Open a command window and type the command ipconfig /all and see what it reports for the internal wireless connection.

If it does not have an IP address, you might try ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew