PDA

View Full Version : stud hi/lo tourney hand

sabyl
04-08-2003, 08:17 AM
I had an interesting hand come up last night in the stud hi/lo tourney at GC. So far in the tourney I have been getting a lot of respect on my play - playing few hands and having good holdings when showing down. I have been able to buy some pots when I've missed but my board looked good (one hand i had a board of 258 and someone who had paired his 8 doorcard and caught a 4 on 5th folded his hand to my 5th street bet though he had been playing very loosely against others calling to the river with one pair against low boards). Part of this respect came from a hand I played against Miami John who had been representing a pair of kings when I called the river having missed my low starting with a238 and pairing my 8 on the river. He had a pair of sixes and I took the pot (I can share the logic of my call there if you are interested - there was a reason for me to suspect a weak hand). This made some players at the table afraid to confront me.

So now we are just past the 2nd break., We started with 64 players and there is approx. 75k in play. There are now approx 50 players so still pretty early. I have T1900 which is an above average stack but doesn't leave me much if I play a hand through and lose. Antes are t20, bringin t60 and limit is 200-400. I have (47)3 and have the bring in. Player B has a ten showing. He overplays high hands and will raise his high hands on 5th and 6th when it looks like he is being freerolled. He is not consistent though and I can't find a pattern to his aggression/passiveness and his folds vs call downs unlesshis folds. He could simply be a feelings type player. He completes. Player C has and A as his door card. He plays fairly solid and has not raised on 3rd with aces several times (though he seems to like to trap and then re-raise - he has done this a few times). He flat calls. Everyone else folds. There is 600 in the pot. Do you call the $160 with 347 2 s00ted? You are unlikely to lose either player if you raise.

I decided to call. On 4th I pair my doorcard with a 3, the ten catches a blank and the ace catches a Q. I check (right move or do you bet?). The ten bets and the ace raises. I am certain the AQ has aces at this point. If I call I have about T1300 left and can fold if I catch bad on 5th. However should I invest T400 into this pot of T1600? I am certain I am the only one going for low at this point, I know player C has aces, and I am not sure where player B is at - rolled up 10's are certainly possible considering he has bet into an ace twice. My chances for high are runner runner straight and mb two pair or trip 3's - any of which are vulnerable and I have 3 low cards with which to catch a low and get 1/2 the pot.

I decide to call, though I am not sure if that is correct. On 5th I catch a low draw and am committed to play out the hand - Player C is all in at this point. I brick on 6th. Player B now has a pair of 5's showing. On 7th I catch two pair - 7's and 3's. Player B bets and I decide to call - I am not sure if this call is correct at all. He likely has 2 pair though he may have started with a flush draw and is bluffing - though I have seen him more inclined to make slim value bets and raises versus outright bluffing. I am putting in T400 to win T4100ish. If I call and lose this pot I have T80 left. I called but I think I should fold here. In a ring game I would definitely call though. Turns out Both B and C started with aces and both made aces up.

Comments on this hand are appreciated as I am not sure I like how I played it throughout. But then I am never comfortable when I take the passive calling route over being aggressive myself.

Fraubump
04-08-2003, 04:55 PM
Low chasing seems to be the death of tourney stacks. It might be ok to play this hand ring, but I'm folding the bring-in raise in a tourney. Maybe if the hand is a one-gapper you have a play, but 347 just ain't much. On 4th, if you're sure he has aces, then a fold also seems in order. You've got a decent stack: wait for a better situation.

Andy B
04-09-2003, 01:15 AM
I will preface this by saying that I stink at tournaments. You have about enough for one hand. I'd be waiting for a very favorable spot at this point. If your 743 is suited, you have a call on third street. If not, muck it. I would frequently play it in a cash game, but it's not that great of a hand.

Since the other guys caught non-threatening cards, I just might have bet on fourth. When it's bet and raised back to you, I think you have to go out. Maybe I play in a cash game with a three-flush, but I don't think you want to be committing a good chunk of your stack to a bunch of back-door draws.