PDA

View Full Version : a word about variance and running bad

TheNoodleMan
08-24-2005, 11:54 PM
If you visit these forums with any frequency, you have no doubt seen countless threads about evils of variance and running bad.
Over the last 48 hours, I have played 56 SNG tourneys at 30+3, and while I can honestly say that I have played my A game throughout, I have been the victim of an inordinate number of bad beats. In this span, I have lost 6 times with AA, getting all the chips in the center prior to the flop each time.
Right about now, many of you are wondering what could possibly make me think that any of you care about my bad beats? I know that no one cares about my beats, but some of you might be interested to know that in that same brief sample I have achieved an ITM of 41.07% and ROI of 16.88%.
To some of you, these may seem like shocking numbers for someone who has been running pretty badly, but the fact is that the beats are a part of the game, and a part of your ITM and ROI. In the grand scheme of things there is no running good or running bad, only running.As long as you play your best poker and stay within your bankroll, no number of bad beats can ever catch up with you.

1C5
08-25-2005, 12:03 AM
If you had a 16% ROI, you either A) did not have many bad beats.

B) Had them at good times (when you had the guy outchipped 3-1)

C) Were not close to running bad.

See if you feel the same way after a 40 buy in downswing.

TheNoodleMan
08-25-2005, 12:08 AM
I have been through a 30 buy in downswing and it the memory of it changes nothing about my post.

AliasMrJones
08-25-2005, 12:24 AM
So, over the short run you lost with a lot of hands over the long run your will win with and you won with a lot of hands that over the long run you will lose with. Basically your good luck in some cases canceled out your bad luck in other cases.

What does this have to do with short-term variance? Sometimes you'll lose with your good hands AND lose with your bad hands. Sometimes you'll win with both. So?

Your post is completely meaningless.

astarck
08-25-2005, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Your post is completely meaningless.

[/ QUOTE ]

PancakeBoy
08-25-2005, 12:49 AM
Cool. Great Job. Thanks for the inspiration.

That's what you watned right?

TheNoodleMan
08-25-2005, 12:49 AM
ok then, lets all just sit back and enjoy the next hundred threads about bad beats and variance. That sounds so much better.

Myst
08-25-2005, 12:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ok then, lets all just sit back and enjoy the next hundred threads about bad beats and variance. That sounds so much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, but with or without your post, the complaints are still going to happen.