PDA

View Full Version : Top and Bottom Pair - NL $600

Big_Jim
08-24-2005, 10:49 PM
Well, since I'm now officially an addict, (400 POSTS! WOOO) I figured I should post a hand.

Context:
Villian seems pretty solid, but aggressive, erring a bit on the weak tight side.

I have been playing fairly TAG, this session. Villian hasn't seen me do anything too crazy, but I have taken down a lot of pots with no showdown.

About one orbit ago, villian witnessed the following small pot

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ 600 (6 max, 6 handed)converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP ($1295.20)
CO ($908.25)
Button ($745.25)
SB ($704.15)
Hero ($955)
UTG <font color="#A500AF">(Villian)</font> ($81)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif. SB posts a blind of $3.
UTG :#A500AF(Villian)/ calls $6, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: ($15) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villian raises to $20</font>, Hero calls $10.

Turn: ($55) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villian bets $25</font>, Hero calls $929 (All-In), Villian calls $30 (All-In).

River: ($1039) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $1039

Results
Hero has 9/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif (three of a kind, nines).
Villian has K/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/club.gif (two pair, nines and threes).
Outcome: Hero wins $1039.

Onto the hand...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $600 (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG <font color="#A500AF">(Villian)</font> ($1283.20)
MP ($941.25)
Button ($715.65)
SB ($695.15)
Hero ($1049)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif. SB posts a blind of $3.
UTG<font color="#A500AF(Villian)[/color"> calls $6, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB (poster) completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($18) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villian raises to $45</font>, SB folds, Hero calls $30.

Turn: ($108) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villian bets $85</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $220</font>

Thoughts?

-Skeme-
08-24-2005, 11:12 PM
Uh, how much did he call in the first hand? Over $1,000 pot and he called your CR all in with K3o? I don't even know what part the convertor messed up.

MINETZ
08-24-2005, 11:35 PM
the poster went all in and got his stack back

Big_Jim
08-25-2005, 01:34 AM
I suppose that I should have adjusted for relative stack sizes, huh?

I suppose that this is way too standard? No comments?

FoxwoodsFiend
08-25-2005, 03:19 AM
I HATE the turn action. There are a lot of scare cards that could hit and if your opponent's on a draw you've made the classic mistake of giving a cheap river to somebody who wants to slow you down. What if he checks behind and the turn comes an ace? A club? Or if it doesn't but he checked behind with a worse K that you could have extracted chips from?
I say bet the turn with the intention of 3-betting it. Make him define his hand so you know whether you're up against a draw and know what to do if the scare card comes.

Big_Jim
08-25-2005, 03:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you've made the classic mistake of giving a cheap river to somebody who wants to slow you down

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, board is ridiculously draw heavy... AND villian knows I am liable to check/raise with a big hand.....

[ QUOTE ]
What if he checks behind and the turn comes an ace?

[/ QUOTE ]

Blocking bet, fold to a raise.

[ QUOTE ]
A club?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
if it doesn't

[/ QUOTE ]

Check/call.

[ QUOTE ]
I say bet the turn with the intention of 3-betting it

[/ QUOTE ]
Doesn't this seem to be representing a set? I don't see villian raising again with a draw. How much would you lead for? I suppose that a weakish looking bet may get raised by worse hands, making him think I'm trying to get a cheap river card.

FoxwoodsFiend
08-25-2005, 03:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you've made the classic mistake of giving a cheap river to somebody who wants to slow you down

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, board is ridiculously draw heavy... AND villian knows I am liable to check/raise with a big hand.....

[ QUOTE ]
What if he checks behind and the turn comes an ace?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
A club?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
if it doesn't

[/ QUOTE ]

Check/call.

[ QUOTE ]
I say bet the turn with the intention of 3-betting it

[/ QUOTE ]
Doesn't this seem to be representing a set? I don't see villian raising again with a draw. How much would you lead for? I suppose that a weakish looking bet may get raised by worse hands, making him think I'm trying to get a cheap river card.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would lead for the pot. Maybe not even three bet as if he raises I'm looking to check-call the river now that I think about it.
And while your "block bet fold to a raise" line is fine, my point is if he checks behind the most you can get in this pot is the $45 from the flop and another $70 or so if he calls with a worse hand. I think it leaves too much money on the table.

Big_Jim
08-25-2005, 03:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it leaves too much money on the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you're probably right.

Big_Jim
08-25-2005, 02:44 PM
Well, sad to see that my 400th post was a bomb....

Anyhoo...

I really hated how I played the turn on this hand, and I'm glad to see that at least one person agreed with me on that one.

Villian thinks almost until time runs out, types "KJ" into the console, and folds.

I type back "good laydown" and bluff the hell out of him in future hands.

Honestly, I had never considered folding out a better hand here, and think that this makes my line even worse, even though I got lucky, this time.

If I'm only getting called by better hands here, AND I gave the flush a free card.... that just really really sucks.