PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Stars 114s & 60s - possibly old or repetitive

wahooriver
08-24-2005, 10:32 PM
I have been playing these a lot over the past 2 weeks. I got a big bankroll boost by chopping the final four in a $50 MTT (cleared $1600). The next week I finished 5th (645) in another $50 MTT. So this allowed me to play the 55 and 105 turbo SNGs.

To prepare I have played a lot of lower cost turbo SNGs. I find these more predictable.

Keys:
1. Read posts here - especially the FAQs.
2. Read Harrington's 2 volumes. His tournament advice works very well for SNGs. I especially have learned appropriate betting size from him.
3. In the early rounds, rarely limp (I almost only limp with low pocket pairs or A rag suited).
4. Rarely call a raise in the first 3-4 rounds - must be convinced you have the raiser beat and you are playing rope a dope.
5. Be willing to fold to reraises.
6. Be darn sure before you go all-in early in the game.
7. This game is about waiting until the the blinds are 100/200 and then waiting for steals and good bets.
8. Patience is everything. You can come back to win from 100-200 chips - wait to go all-in until you have reasonable odds.
9. Study your opponents for tendencies. Some players love to go all-in. Just wait for the right time to call - there is rarely a rush.
10. Learn to be a bully when you are in the lead. Bullying usually works with 3X BB bets - if they call or raise - generally be cautious.
11. Practice heads up play every chance you get. Study this aspect. Good heads up play should lead to 60-70% winning at this point. This is a learned skill - and should not be ignored.
12. The stakes are high enough to not play more than 2 at a time. Paying attention is very important at this level - you must quickly learn your opponents.
13. And to be repetitive - patience grasshopper.

I know that much of this is old stuff - but I really felt like putting my thoughts down. Please critique or ask questions.

BTW - I find Stars SNGs +EV over Party SNGs. I particularly like the turbos - because as the table gets shorthanded I feel more comfortable.

Last thought - I play a lot of limit 6 max. I believe that playing shorthanded gives me an edge in the middle stages of SNGs. You learn a different set of odds for good hands.