PDA

View Full Version : shipped extra product

Thythe
08-24-2005, 10:03 PM
First off what a terrible subject message. I can't think of anything better. I think this thread had been done recently, but I can't find it so...Company A screwed up and sent me two of a digital camera I ordered recently. I'm 99% sure they won't find out due to a very complicated and way too long to type situation. Basically the original shipment said it should have had the camera in it but didn't. So they decided they screwed up and sent it again. I received it, and then a few days later another one came. It's a $400 camera. What's my play?

Weatherhead03
08-24-2005, 10:04 PM
If they have good service they should offer you a reward for returning it. Seems like a better plan than keeping it and risk of getting caught.

mantasm
08-24-2005, 10:06 PM
I'm thinking I'd keep it and give it to a friend or something if it's a big amazon type company. If it were just some dude on ebay or a smaller operation i think i'd send it back. Not that it being a big company makes it ok to steal from them, but that was my first reaction.

This is assuming they won't find out, which doesn't seem all that likely, but I don't know the situation.

Quercus
08-24-2005, 10:07 PM
Call them and let them know about the error.

If they send a prepaid shipping return envelope, send it back.

If they expect you to go through any hassle to send it back, keep it.

Thythe
08-24-2005, 10:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking I'd keep it and give it to a friend or something if it's a big amazon type company. If it were just some dude on ebay or a smaller operation i think i'd send it back. Not that it being a big company makes it ok to steal from them, but that was my first reaction.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a huge company, Amazon like.

TheMainEvent
08-24-2005, 10:11 PM
How was it when you called their service dept? Were they helpful? Were they b**ches? If so, they get nothing from me.

Thythe
08-24-2005, 10:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How was it when you called their service dept? Were they helpful? Were they b**ches? If so, they get nothing from me.

[/ QUOTE ]

They were pretty helpful. Basically the shipping page said that the camera and the card had shipped in one box, so they thought I was trying to trick them. Then I said "look at the weight of the box" which was 1 LB and was like "how can a camera weigh one pound?" So then they agreed it was their fault, and sent out a new camera. Somehow things got mixed up and the original one arrived too.

It took awhile to clear up, but they weren't bitches about it.

CCass
08-24-2005, 10:25 PM
Keep it and sell it to me.

HopeydaFish
08-24-2005, 10:27 PM
I had something similar happen to me with a big Amazon-type company. I'd ordered quite a few items mid-November that were going to be Christmas presents, and the site promised delivery in less than two weeks. Two weeks goes by and they hadn't arrived yet. I emailed them a few times to inquire about my order and didn't receive any response. I emailed them again about 10 days before Christmas and received a form letter reply stating that they were having shipping problems and were trying hard to get the items out in time for Christmas. I then tried to cancel my order, but received a reply that the items had already been shipped out and I'd have to return them before I could get a refund.

The items finally arrived on December 23rd. By this point I'd bought a couple of replacement gifts because I assumed that the stuff wouldn't arrive on time. Everything arrived in two boxes. When I opened box #1 I noticed that *everything* I'd ordered was in there. I opened box #2 and saw that they'd shipped me two of everything.

Normally I'd have returned the items, but this time I kept them. I didn't like the fact my first few emails were ignored, nor the fact it took them a month and a half to get my order to me.

I gave away all the extra gifts at a Christmas party I threw on Christmas eve.

Thythe
08-24-2005, 10:30 PM
In the spirit of this post, I should add as a corollary that if I keep the camera, I would give it as a gift to someone most likely.

mantasm
08-24-2005, 10:33 PM
Giving it away seems much better than selling it for some reason

Thythe
08-24-2005, 10:50 PM
A dead even tie so far, with the lame poll option quickly catching up.

EDIT: one other question too. If I contact them and they're like "screw you, send it back with your own $" and this isn't pleasing to me...can't they still just charge my credit card on file?

BruinEric
08-25-2005, 03:34 AM
Contact them and tell them what happened and arrange to send the camera back. It's the right thing to do.

Maybe somewhere, some clerk is getting chewed out because a camera is missing from inventory.

Maybe most people wouldn't return it -- but it doesn't matter what most people would do. The right thing to do is to send it back. If you go to the grocery store and the clerk does the equivalent of mis-shipping and hands you another bag of groceries for which you didn't pay, you've gotta correct him.

I have had this very thing happen with a PS2 game I once ordered from Overstock. Instead of getting one, I received five in a carton which probably appeared to the packer as one. They made it easy for me to return. They didn't not give me coupons or praise me. They just arranged to pay for return shipping.

They will almost assuredly not ask you to send it back on your dime. But if they do, tell them this was their mistake and you are not going to pay money to fix it for them.

tonypaladino
08-25-2005, 04:53 AM
Ok,

The answer is: Keep The Camera. Trying to explain to them what happened will wind up being a pain in the ass for you.

[ QUOTE ]
Basically the original shipment said it should have had the camera in it but didn't.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hey thought I was trying to trick them

[/ QUOTE ]

Thery obviously have poor shipping records and poor inventory management. In addition, it seems like there is poor communication between customer service and operations.

You will confuse the customer service rep, who is either a retard making $5.15/hr or someone who is in India and has poor English skills.

A cust service rep for a large Amazon-like company will only respond well to problems that the company has offical guidelines on for them to follow, and the company will not have any such guidelines for this situation.

The most likely senerios are as follows:

1. The rep tries to initiate a return, and will likley try to make you pay the return postage.
or
2. The rep will tell you to keep the camera, and you just wasted a part of your life for no reason.

If (1.) occurs, there is probably a 75% chance that they will refund your credit card when the item is returned, and you will have still gotten a free cameral.

In addition, there is more of a chance of getting an employee in trouble for shipping an additional camera if you bring it to their attention.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

send_the_msg
08-25-2005, 05:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not that it being a big company makes it ok to steal from them

[/ QUOTE ]

that's the only time stealing is ok

graarrg
08-25-2005, 07:03 AM
Pretty much, it's not worth trying to fix the mistake. You're going to waste rep time. Reps are gonna waste yours. Save the good deed for another day.

Escape
08-25-2005, 08:43 AM
Plain and simple. Keep it.

jakethebake
08-25-2005, 08:52 AM
I got an extra shipment of several p*ker books from Amazon recently. The first didn't arrive so they sent another shipment. I told them that I received both and what should I do with it. Actually I e-mailed them twice about it and they've never responded. I guess I'm stuck with extra copies of Greenstein's book, HOH2 and How Good is Your Pot Limit Ho;d Em.

Shajen
08-25-2005, 09:37 AM
I'd send it back, but only because somewhere down the line this would come back to bite me in the ass.

I would not, however, pay one dime towards the cost of sending it back. Their screwup, not yours.

Jersey Nick
08-25-2005, 09:50 AM
Email them about the situation and ask for them to mail you a UPS return label. Karma & ethics say send it back.