PDA

View Full Version : Espresso Machine....Where/what/when/how/why

AZK
08-24-2005, 09:28 PM
Drip coffee doesn't really do it for me anymore once I started drinking Americanos/doubleshots, and I'm sick of being a slave to starbucks, so I think I want to buy an espresso machine. I wouldn't say I'm addicted, but I absolutely love the stuff. What's the price range on machines? What are good ones to buy? How long does it take to make in the morning? Give me any/every detail you think of when reading this thread.

Thanks.

turnipmonster
08-24-2005, 09:45 PM
I got a krups espresso maker for a wedding present, it probably sells for 200 or so. there are two different styles, pump and steam, basically you want to get a pump.

I make at least two espressos a day, takes about 3 minutes and is not messy at all once you get the hang of it.

--turnipmonster

AZK
08-24-2005, 09:52 PM
thanks

IHateKeithSmart
08-24-2005, 10:01 PM
Yeah, it can start to get a little messier if you grind your own beans. That's too many appliances for me anymore.

08-25-2005, 05:00 AM
Espresso machines that cost less than a fortune are for people who don't really like coffee, but want to show off their new toy. So, if good coffee is your priority, either buy two Bialetti mocca-kettles of different sizes, _or_ be prepared to shell out a whole lot, incl. for a separate grinder.
If you would to go for the second option, I would find a knowledgable and experienced person in a nice coffe-place, and let them recommend you a couple of brands.
Gaggia might be worth a shot.

ethan
08-25-2005, 05:17 AM
I have:
Gaggia MDF grinder ($200)
Gaggia Carezza espresso machine ($200)

I like both. It's worth getting a burr grinder (rather than the spinning-blade kind) because they'll give you an even grind. If you're making espresso by pushing steam through an uneven grind (i.e. spinning-blade grinder) it'll go through the cracks next to the big pieces, and miss most of the coffee. A conical-burr grinder will also give you an even coarse grind for a french press. The MDF is the best burr grinder for the price - you probably don't need anything more expensive, and anything cheaper is significantly less good. Same for the carezza.

I've been ordering my coffee from Paradise Roasters, and am more than happy so far.

BoogerFace
08-25-2005, 11:20 AM
Capresso (http://www.capresso.com/prod_super_c1300.html) and it's not even close.

Easier to use that an oragami boulder.

I've owned the C1200 for over a year now.

50 seconds flat for that first cup of Americano:

You push the power button, the display blinks 'warming up'.
You push the brew button to rinse the machine.
Rinse out your cup.
You push the brew button again. It grinds. It temps. It brews.
You drink coffee. You push the button when you want another cup. Once warmed up, American takes is under 30 seconds.
It shuts itself off.

When you run out of water, the display says 'Add Water'. You fill the water tank under the tap.
If you run out of beans, the display says 'Add beans'.
If the grounds tray is full, you get the idea.

It'll steam milk too. Not recommended until after 3 cups of Americano.

About once a month, the display will flash 'Clean unit'. You drop a cleaning table in the top and it cleans itself.

Buy one, you'll be glad you did.