PDA

View Full Version : AQo out of BB - please evaluate

Acehawk74
08-24-2005, 08:27 PM
Hey everyone. I ran into this hand earlier, and I wanted your opinion on how I did. I am wondering if I got too passive on the turn and river. I normally wouldn't make this cap preflop with what i faced, but I had reads on both players watching them raise, reraise, 3-bet and cap with much much worse hands. Additionally, after 32 hands on both, MP2 was LAG, and Button was actually about 27/14/2. Not too much to go on except the preflop raising previous. Anyways, enough rambling.. here we go.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP2 calls, Button calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, MP2 folds.

Turn: (8.75 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (12.75 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16.75 BB

Joel_Fish
08-24-2005, 08:41 PM
Why did you slow down on the flop? TP2ndK with the board showing no draws to big hands must be worth a 3-bet, right?

Acehawk74
08-24-2005, 08:46 PM
yeah, i slowed down because i was afraid of AA.. and as I am typing out the reason why I was afraid of it, It seems more and more like a mistake in my mind.

DeathDonkey
08-24-2005, 08:50 PM
What is your thought behind all the calling and then betting the next street? If it is good enough to bet out again it is good enough to 3 bet the previous street. This just looks like you aren't sure what to do but then you remember you have a pretty good hand and then he raises and your like "oh yeah, he claims to have a good one too". If he is too loose you are likely to be best and should get more money in. If he isn't raising with worse on the turn you should just call it down and not give him the chance to raise you again.

-DeathDonkey

nomadtla
08-24-2005, 08:53 PM
I know you had reads and I can sort of understand your preflop play by it but I still think capping with AQo against a PFR and PF3bettor is just a bad idea.
Since you played it. I acctually like your call on the flop but I think that may have something to do with the fact that I know what MP2 does. 3-bet/call is not a bad line either.
Since it's now heads up on the turn I check/call the turn and river because I do not want to give him more if I'm behind and I can't bet the river cause if he's laggy I'd have to call his raise down. This pot is huge on the turn so I go with the cheapest way to see the showdown, so if I have it I get to the showdown if I don't I lose the minimum to find out.

Acehawk74
08-24-2005, 09:03 PM
its interesting, i never thought about that from that approach. (good enough to bet out at first-should be good enough to 3-bet) Time to reread SSH =D anyways, that is a great point. My whole thought process throughout the flop/turn/river was that I felt that I had the best hand, but was afraid to take it further past a raise..I played this very passively in my eyes now that I replay the hand in PT. When would have been a good slowdown point, if any?

Thanks a ton for the constructive criticism, keep it coming, more = more understanding.

Acehawk74
08-24-2005, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If he isn't raising with worse on the turn you should just call it down and not give him the chance to raise you again.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm ceartinly not disputing this advice, as it seems good, I would just like some clarification on why to make this play. I understand why to 3-bet this, but why necessarily would this not give him the chance to raise me again on the river?
Or would this just show that I am probably beat?

nomadtla
08-24-2005, 09:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If he isn't raising with worse on the turn you should just call it down and not give him the chance to raise you again.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm ceartinly not disputing this advice, as it seems good, I would just like some clarification on why to make this play. I understand why to 3-bet this, but why necessarily would this not give him the chance to raise me again on the river?
Or would this just show that I am probably beat?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think death donkey is saying that if he's a good ehough player that he wouldn't raise many hands you beat on the turn then the appropriate action is to check/call the river instead of bet/call thereby saving you a big bet.

Acehawk74
08-24-2005, 09:27 PM
Oh, i see, so more turn agression, and note the reaction. That makes sense now. Why don't these things click when actually in a hand? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here are the results for anyone who is interested -

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Qs Ad (three of a kind, aces).
Button has Qd Th (one pair, aces).
Outcome: Hero wins 16.75 BB. </font>

benkath1
08-24-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, i see, so more turn agression, and note the reaction. That makes sense now. Why don't these things click when actually in a hand? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here are the results for anyone who is interested -

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Qs Ad (three of a kind, aces).
Button has Qd Th (one pair, aces).
Outcome: Hero wins 16.75 BB. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to: Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em

Acehawk74
08-25-2005, 02:12 AM
yeah.. best part was the guy's comment afterwards. *Note before, i said i knew it wasn't necessarily a good play to cap AQo preflop, but i gave my reasons.*

Button says "Wow, i didn't know AQ called for a final raise, nice hand... i guess"

My response "Well, i had no clue QTo called for a re-raise.. period.. but thanks.. I guess"

10 seconds later after no response, he left the table.

Just got a chuckle out of it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

TomBrooks
08-25-2005, 02:27 AM
PREFLOP: I think capping AQo in the BB is overplaying it a bit. Your OOP.

FLOP: Just calling the raise because your hoping to get raised after you bet out on the turn? If thats it, it sounds like a plan.

TURN: 3Bet. He doesn't have AA, so I'm almost positive you're ahead here.

RIVER: 3bet.