PDA

View Full Version : Considering hiring a coach

Wevie
08-24-2005, 08:07 PM
I've been kicking around the idea of finding a coach. Who out there would be willing? What are the pros/cons? What kind of agreement is normal?

I'm not looking for a bankroll or a loan, just a mentor.

I currently play 80% 10+1's and 20% 20+2's at Party.

I have a very small sample size. I've played just under 400 tourneys. Reason for this is monitor real estate. Im stuck with 1024x768 until I can convince the wife to accept a different monitor. At that resolution two tables is the max I have attempted.

My overall ITM is 34% and my ROI is -3%. Both of these numbers have been affected by a cold spell over the last 50 tourneys with a 19% ITM and -67% ROI.

I want to work my game in the 10's and progress at least to the 50's. My ultimate goal playing online is to average $100 profit per day over the course of a month. I understand there would be days and even months where this would not be sustainable, but overall, I feel that average would be attainable in the long run.

So, what advice can you give me on whether or not a coach would be the best way to achieve my goals?

Oluwafemi
08-24-2005, 08:13 PM
i need a coach too. there are probably quite a few guys on these boards playing higher limits that would make great coaches/mentors.

freemoney
08-24-2005, 08:14 PM
why isnt it that you were running good and thats why your ROI is only -3 and not worse? why does everyone on this forum only experience negative variance?

microbet
08-24-2005, 08:18 PM
Dude,

All he said was his ROI was affected by a cold spell. He's looking for a coach. I would expect he wants someone to help improve his game, not his luck. In other words, give him a break.

freemoney
08-24-2005, 08:20 PM
please, he has another post also on the front page crying about a 50 sng cold streak, calm down sheriff.

microbet
08-24-2005, 08:22 PM
Well, I just looked at that for the first time and was coming back here to say something about how you could at least say something mean in his bad beat thread instead.

Wevie
08-24-2005, 08:23 PM
Good variance?

OK, the month of June left me with 47% ITM and 45% ROI.

Its not posted for two reasons:

1.) Sample size is too small and those rates are not sustainable.

2.) Human nature to remember every detail of every bad thing that happens. The good stuff we remember, but not nearly as clearly as the bad stuff.

08-24-2005, 08:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why isnt it that you were running good and thats why your ROI is only -3 and not worse? why does everyone on this forum only experience negative variance?

[/ QUOTE ]

Two reasons:

1) I'm willing to bet (maybe at 1-2 against or so) that people on this board make a net profit, and a positive ROI player is way more likely to notice a bunch of losses than a larger than normal amount of wins (maybe even negative ROI players are the same).

2) One of the three or so reasons we're able to consistently take money from donks is the basic psychological concept that people generally think they're good at stuff, in fact, better than the average person. This is generally a good thing because it makes people strive to prove this and encourages voting in democracies and stuff, but it also makes party poker and the members of this forum money.

There was an article in card player about this that summarized it in the common statement among poker losers "I think overall I'm even or maybe a little up."

Not saying you're a loser, btw, OP.

freemoney
08-24-2005, 08:26 PM
any other requests you wanna make while you have my attention?

08-24-2005, 08:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good variance?

OK, the month of June left me with 47% ITM and 45% ROI.

Its not posted for two reasons:

1.) Sample size is too small and those rates are not sustainable.

2.) Human nature to remember every detail of every bad thing that happens. The good stuff we remember, but not nearly as clearly as the bad stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good month. Gl OP.

freemoney
08-24-2005, 08:31 PM
you dont take money off of donks at the 11s or 22s b/c of anything psychological, you have a different goal then most people, you try to improve and make as much money as possible while even an awful player who likes to play after work with a -30% ROI is only costing himself 3 dollars for 40 mins of entertainment after a long day of work, different goals and motives for players seperates winners and losers at nearly almost every level much more than psychology or natural talent.

microbet
08-24-2005, 08:40 PM
Well, my car could use a wash. Eh, that's ok, that's all, but thanks for asking.

jt1
08-24-2005, 08:50 PM
So nobody is accepting applications for new students?

MegaBet
08-24-2005, 09:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be willing to coach anyone who is interested. I am a career 43% ITM player with 40%+ ITM at every level from $11 to $215. PM me if anyone is interested (I have coached successfully in the past).

Slim Pickens
08-24-2005, 09:28 PM
Put together some sort of a concrete plan (the OP has one... sort of) and there might be some interest.

jt1
08-24-2005, 09:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Put together some sort of a concrete plan (the OP has one... sort of) and there might be some interest.

[/ QUOTE ]

The OP????what's that? By plan, I assume you mean a schedule and payment structure...

MegaBet
08-24-2005, 09:44 PM
OP = opening poster...the guy who started this thread.

jt1
08-24-2005, 10:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I play everyday right now and I have a maybe 200,000 hands of experience at fixed limit. Fixed limit may be more proftiable but these sit & go's are so much fun.

My goal to to play 15-20 S'n'G's a day at the highest level that I can make money at. Right now I play 30-3 and am about a break even player. (less than 200 tourneys)

Why? I love playing and I kind of rootless so poker is perfect for me. I'm 27 years old and will either end up as a history/english teacher or as a english teacher in some 3'rd world country. Either way, Poker would be a great second job for me. Right now I'm a salesman.

Payment can be arranged and the number of hands that mentor reviews per day/week can be arranged too.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-24-2005, 10:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be willing to coach anyone who is interested. I am a career 43% ITM player with 40%+ ITM at every level from $11 to $215. PM me if anyone is interested (I have coached successfully in the past).

[/ QUOTE ]
What's the typical arrangement with a coach? Hourly rate? A cut of winnings? What happens - do you just go over tournament histories and critique plays?

MegaBet
08-24-2005, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What's the typical arrangement with a coach? Hourly rate? A cut of winnings? What happens - do you just go over tournament histories and critique plays?

[/ QUOTE ]

My personal experience is to charge a flat rate based on buy-in, which would increase in line with the student's skill level (increased ROI, moving up levels). Going over hand histories is the main method of coaching someone, but I feel live Q&A sessions over IM is incredibly important.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-24-2005, 10:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My personal experience is to charge a flat rate based on buy-in, which would increase in line with the student's skill level (increased ROI, moving up levels). Going over hand histories is the main method of coaching someone, but I feel live Q&A sessions over IM is incredibly important.

[/ QUOTE ]
So this flat rate is a per-session thing? Per hour session or something? Per tournament?

AtticusFinch
08-24-2005, 10:24 PM
IrieGuy does a little coaching from time to time, and is a cool guy besides.

MegaBet
08-24-2005, 10:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
So this flat rate is a per-session thing? Per hour session or something? Per tournament?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the coach, but I charge a flat rate per email (where an email contains X (max) number of hand histories) and a per hour rate of live chat.

Mr_J
08-24-2005, 11:37 PM
Not anymore /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

AliasMrJones
08-24-2005, 11:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

40%+ ITM at 215s? That isn't possible, is it? Is it even possible at the 109s? I mean for more than a few hundred SnGs?

citanul
08-25-2005, 12:16 AM
of course it's possible. sustainable? most likely not, no.

personally i would be wary of anyone who said they were a 43% itm player. but that's just me. ymmv

citanul

MegaBet
08-25-2005, 12:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

personally i would be wary of anyone who said they were a 43% itm player. but that's just me. ymmv

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe it or don't believe it...it matters to me not <shrugs>

AliasMrJones
08-25-2005, 12:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So your 40% itm at the 215s is over how many and at what ROI?

MegaBet
08-25-2005, 12:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This has been discussed before and I have no wish to go over it again.

AliasMrJones
08-25-2005, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I guess I didn't see that discussion and you're advertising yourself as a coach so I think it's relevant.

08-25-2005, 12:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, so basically you suck???

MegaBet
08-25-2005, 12:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, so basically you suck???

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm an awful player...what was I thinking???

citanul
08-25-2005, 12:51 AM
did i say i didn't believe that you had those stats? no.

my implication is that you're running good, and should know that, and should know it well enough not to use it as some kind of advertizement.

citanul

dmmikkel
08-25-2005, 01:07 AM
I'm a SNG coach. I don't want to advertise alot, but if anyone's interested just mail me at
reversi (a) gmail (,) com

raptor517
08-25-2005, 01:13 AM
as far as standard coaching deals go.. what i personally like is that over the 500 sngs after receiving and while receiving coaching, the coach gets 30% of the profits. meh, makes sense to me. im pretty sure thats what irie did when he was doin the whole coaching thing. holla

08-25-2005, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you dont take money off of donks at the 11s or 22s b/c of anything psychological, you have a different goal then most people, you try to improve and make as much money as possible while even an awful player who likes to play after work with a -30% ROI is only costing himself 3 dollars for 40 mins of entertainment after a long day of work, different goals and motives for players seperates winners and losers at nearly almost every level much more than psychology or natural talent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, but it's not very important. I think the people we're taking money from tend to expect to earn money.

AliasMrJones
08-25-2005, 01:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you're running good, and should know that, and should know it well enough not to use it as some kind of advertizement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Claiming a 40% ITM at the 215s he either:

A) Is the best STT player in the world.
B) Mistakenly believes his results are sustainable.
C) Knows his results are not sustainable, but advertises himself as a coach with them anyway.

Which do you think it could be?

AtticusFinch
08-25-2005, 02:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not backing, anyway /images/graemlins/smirk.gif. But coaching? Irie?

networkman
08-25-2005, 04:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ][ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Irie isn't cool anymore? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Scuba Chuck
08-25-2005, 04:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ][ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, I'm sure he is still cool. Have you seen his avatar? (a la Dazed & Confused "Are you cool?")

networkman
08-25-2005, 04:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ][ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, I'm sure he is still cool. Have you seen his avatar? (a la Dazed & Confused "Are you cool?")

[/ QUOTE ]

I AM his avatar /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Well, I was last night anyway...

MegaBet
08-25-2005, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you're running good, and should know that, and should know it well enough not to use it as some kind of advertizement.

[/ QUOTE ]

C) Knows his results are not sustainable, but advertises himself as a coach with them anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, the newest member of my ignore list. Well Done!

pooh74
08-25-2005, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, but it's not very important. I think the people we're taking money from tend to expect to earn money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Noah, I agree. When I first started online, i expected to make money and didnt consider myself a "losing" player. Fact is, I was, for a long time, a loser and then merely break even player. I never admitted it to myself, but looking back at the way I played and the static nature of my "roll" (200 dollars or so) for 5 months I was not good.

To the outside observer I was just a guy who was "enetertaining" himself on the cheap for a few hours a day. In fact, I was determined to learn.

What makes good players different is that they can admit they suck and strive for more. It took a while for me. Not that I am good now (actually I'm awesome).

wuwei
08-25-2005, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not backing, anyway /images/graemlins/smirk.gif. But coaching? Irie?

[/ QUOTE ]

Irie has posted recently that he's no longer coaching /images/graemlins/frown.gif

You miss stuff when you're gone for months /images/graemlins/smile.gif

When do you find out results on the bar???

AliasMrJones
08-25-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, the newest member of my ignore list. Well Done!

[/ QUOTE ]

I just call's 'em as I see's 'em.

*fingers in ears* I'm not listening!

Bill Poker
08-25-2005, 04:02 PM
on megabet's other post, he mentioned %52 ITM over 500 $215. I remember Irie and some other posters talked about that ITM# can reach a true value with much less sample size than ROI, and 500 is probably an enough sample size. even with 10%/10%/32% (1/2/3) distribution (very very modest), he could have 34% ROI. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

raptor517
08-25-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
on megabet's other post, he mentioned %52 ITM over 500 $215. I remember Irie and some other posters talked about that ITM# can reach a true value with much less sample size than ROI, and 500 is probably an enough sample size. even with 10%/10%/32% (1/2/3) distribution (very very modest), he could have 34% ROI. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, and i could have a 24" schlong.. yet 1/4th that is more likely. holla

gumpzilla
08-25-2005, 04:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you've got it all wrong. It's just that your 24" schlong isn't sustainable.

Slim Pickens
08-25-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Is your mom leaving town?

raptor517
08-25-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

neithers the 1/4th of that /images/graemlins/wink.gif holla