PDA

View Full Version : Psychology of Losing

Jorge10
08-24-2005, 07:37 PM
Interesting questions I would like to ask the people on this board, it has been on my mind.

Does your game change when your are behind in a session? say you are down 1 buy in? 2 buy ins? more? If so how does it change?

Do you think the way a person changes with adversity, either for the bad or good has anything to do with how they will do in the long run?

Deamon2
08-24-2005, 07:46 PM
I get louder (playing online). I tend to get a little more tight pf (dropping from ~22% to ~19%), but I'm not sure why. I find reason not to play hands I know are profitable (it's a high variance play, etc). The one thing I make sure I don't do is get less aggressive.

vexvelour
08-24-2005, 08:21 PM
I always do better when I get to be short stack at the table. I don't know if my luck changes, or if it's a subconsious willpower, but I almost like being short chipped.

mike4bmp
08-24-2005, 08:25 PM
It definitely affects me...I tighten up alot...I mean ALOT!
It might have to do with a lack of experience...not as much time...not as many hands played as other aspiring pros...but I know its something that has to stop. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Jorge10
08-24-2005, 11:27 PM
For the last month I have won the most I have ever won, the funniest thing is that I have started every day I have played by losing 1 to 2 buy ins. I cant remember a day this month when I didnt do this, I have won it all back and then some, I have realized after this that maybe im not as focused until I have lost 1 or 2 buy ins, then I really play my A game and crush the games I am playing at currently.

Seems to me that this is probably good for the long run as I noticed I am a better player for it. And I used to lose 1 to 2 buy ins at the start of the sessions, now I lose half to 1 buy ins before im focused, eventually itll be 0 hopefully or maybe ill start by winning right away and not have to wait till I have lost a bit, lol.

Pocket Trips
08-25-2005, 11:15 AM
If you do not take the game seriously until you are down 1 or 2 buy-ins then you might want to consider moving up in limits if your BR is big enough to handle it

Assuming you are a winning player when playing at your best why would you want to start out in a hole every day?

PLay at a limit that is meaningful enough to get your full attention but won't bust you if you lose a few buy ins.

Pocket Trips
08-25-2005, 12:05 PM
When I 1st start a session I tend to play extremely tight..then as I start to win I loosen up a bit and play a few more hands... If I start a session by losing a buy in or 2 I continue to play my normal game if it was because of some bad beats or I take a break and regroup if I feel I am playing badly or just being out played

Nigel
08-25-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For the last month I have won the most I have ever won, the funniest thing is that I have started every day I have played by losing 1 to 2 buy ins. I cant remember a day this month when I didnt do this, I have won it all back and then some, I have realized after this that maybe im not as focused until I have lost 1 or 2 buy ins, then I really play my A game and crush the games I am playing at currently.

Seems to me that this is probably good for the long run as I noticed I am a better player for it. And I used to lose 1 to 2 buy ins at the start of the sessions, now I lose half to 1 buy ins before im focused, eventually itll be 0 hopefully or maybe ill start by winning right away and not have to wait till I have lost a bit, lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're making the mistake of attributing way too high a correlation between your short-term results and your play. This will drive you insane in a bad downswing.

Jorge10
08-25-2005, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're making the mistake of attributing way too high a correlation between your short-term results and your play. This will drive you insane in a bad downswing.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your saying I shouldnt care about short term results and caring about short term results is what causes me to focus? Yeah I really should stop that, im trying, I no longer lose 1-2 buy ins, now I lose half to 1, almost got it down.

[ QUOTE ]
If you do not take the game seriously until you are down 1 or 2 buy-ins then you might want to consider moving up in limits if your BR is big enough to handle it

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the reason why im having a hard time playing holdem, I am kind of new to the game, I have only played in play chip tables before and tourneys, but not cash games, but the 25 NL(.15-.25) tables bore me too much, I cant stand playing them im used to 100 PL(.50-1) Omaha High Low, I want higher stakes to pay attention.

I think this is a problem, when I first started playing PL Omaha High, which was a new game to me somewhat as its similar to high low, I could not play the 25 PL(.15-.25) tables because the stakes bored me, so I quickly moved up to the 100(.50-1) tables without knowing much about the game I broke even for the first 4000 hands, but then I just got the hang of it and havent looked back since im getting close to 20k in hands and am a consistent winner.

I wonder should I do this with holdem? I have played 400 hours of play chip tables and a bunch of tourneys, so I know how to play at least ABC poker, you think this will cut it at the 100 NL(.50-1) level?

raptor517
08-25-2005, 02:31 PM
i think you should play whatever level you are comfortable with. even for a n00b the 400 max games on party and skins can easily be destroyed by solid agressive play. holla

bernie
08-25-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't. The monetary part of the game is still affecting your play even if you move up. Why play the psychological game if you don't have to? It may make you go to the opposite which is overtightening and playing scared due to the higher limits.

You should be able to play good regardless of limit taking the monetary part out of the equation completely.

Discipline is discipline no matter which limit you're on.

b

Pocket Trips
08-25-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't. The monetary part of the game is still affecting your play even if you move up. Why play the psychological game if you don't have to? It may make you go to the opposite which is overtightening and playing scared due to the higher limits.

You should be able to play good regardless of limit taking the monetary part out of the equation completely.

Discipline is discipline no matter which limit you're on.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree and i try to play the same game whether I am playing 1 and 2 cent blinds or 1 and 2 dollar blinds but some people can't take the game seriously unless the stakes are somewhat meaningful to them.

I am not saying he should be playing above what his BR (or playing abilican support. If he only has a BR to support playing $.05/$.10 then thats all he should be playing.. but if has a BR that can support it maybe switching from $25 to $50 NL might make him play better

captZEEbo1
08-25-2005, 08:14 PM
I start to think the reason I'm losing is htat everyone is bluffing, and only way to win is rebluff or call down with very marginal holdings. VERY -EV. I usually try to catch myself tilting/losing asap.