PDA

View Full Version : Lv1 Ks2s: Semi-bluff Turn raise TPLK (early)

Oluwafemi
08-24-2005, 07:30 PM
SNG just started not too long ago. no reads on villian other than the weak raise preflop.

Level I (10/20)
Seat #3 (Hero) is the button
Seat 1: (1500 in chips)
Seat 2: (1490 in chips)
Seat 3: Hero (1470 in chips)
Seat 4: SB (1540 in chips)
Seat 5: BB (1500 in chips)
Seat 6: (1500 in chips)
Seat 7: (1500 in chips)
Seat 8: (1500 in chips)
Seat 9: villian (1500 in chips)
Seat 4 posts small blind 10
Seat 5 posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif]
Seat 6 folds
Seat 7 folds
Seat 8 folds
villian raises 20 to 40 ???
Seat 1 folds
Seat 2 folds
Hero calls 40
Seat 4 SB folds
Seat 5 BB folds
*** FLOP *** [J /images/graemlins/heart.gif8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif]
villian mini-bets 40
Hero calls 40
*** TURN *** [J /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif] [K /images/graemlins/club.gif]
villian mini-bets 40
Hero raises 150 to 190
villian calls 150 [this was'nt an insta-call, villian hesistated]

Arrrrggggghhhhh! a straight coordinated flop. i expected villian to probably bet stronger but he came as weak as his preflop raise. then he mini-bet again on the turn when the King hit. something told me he had and Ace x-type hand that missed, so i semi-bluff raised the turn prepared to fold if he reraised back a substantial amount. villian calls after a pause, which seemed hesitant to me.

how's my line and what the move on the river?

comments.

yid3655
08-24-2005, 07:36 PM
I would not pay any attention to the speed at which someone makes a decision, unless you have played with this person many many times and have a near enough perfect read on their betting speeds

Oluwafemi
08-24-2005, 08:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would not pay any attention to the speed at which someone makes a decision, unless you have played with this person many many times and have a near enough perfect read on their betting speeds

[/ QUOTE ]

true, but villian had to act first on the flop and turn. his flop bet was weak [he may not have liked the coordinated board no more than i did so i decided to call]. when the King hit on the turn, i expected him to then bet stronger and he bet weak again which made me think of something Barry Greenstein said:

[ QUOTE ]
you need to be aware of times when you don't have a very good hand, but your opponent has a hand that will not call your bet or raise. Most players don't tie these two situations together properly. The expertise comes in knowing when these situations exist and when they don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
you can win playing suspect starting hands if your opponents don't bet their hands aggressively enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

now, although the last statement of his dealt with games like Omaha and Omaha 8 where you can clearly play more suspect hands than in NL, i thought about this during the hand.

1. he did'nt bet it aggressively enough preflop.
2. he did'nt bet it aggressively enough on the flop.
3. leading yet again, he did'nt bet it aggressively on the turn when the King hit and he hestitated in calling when i reraised nearly close to the pot size.

now obviously villian did call my turn raise but something told me he begrudgingly called, so my thinking tied somewhat into Barry's first statement--- "my hand wasn't that good but my opponent probably had a hand that he would'nt call my raise with".

08-24-2005, 08:36 PM
Fold preflop. Fold the flop. Don't ever get to this turn.

Oluwafemi
08-24-2005, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop. Fold the flop. Don't ever get to this turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

but knowing that i did get involved, what about a critique on the play thus far. clearly by villian's begrudging call on my turn raise, i felt that he probably had a suspect preflop raising hand devoid of a King which probably woulda been better suited for checking the flop and evaluating it's strength upon what i did. i planned to continue with a large bet on the river on the river, especially if checked to me.