PDA

View Full Version : 99 in MP, ITM, Healthy stack

Iamafish
08-24-2005, 06:58 PM
I dont have the hand history to this, but I'll try and make it as clear as possible.

160 cash
Currently 159.

Blinds 400/800

Hero with about t23,000.
Villian with about t25,000.

Folded to Hero in MP with (9 , 9). Hero bets 3000.

Folded to Villian on button. Villian calls. Goes heads-up.

Pot: t7200
Flop
Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Hero checks, Villian bets 4000, Hero calls 4000.

Pot: 15200
Turn
K /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Hero Bets 7000, Villian calls 7000.

Pot: 29200
river
9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Hero all-in, Villian calls.

Now, the flop play was stupid. I woulda like the turn bet if it was bigger, but without that stupid flop call. Villian was loose, and often weak. This was the first time in a while that Im in the money with a good stack, and I ruined it. I ofcourse didn't pay attention to what was really happening here, I just wanted that pot. Im trying to work a grove and make my adjustments when I get this far in a tourny, so far I keep screwing it up with these type of hands.

How would you play this? Id prolly fold to the flop bet next time. What kind of adjustments need to be made late in tournys? I keep getting cought by monsters. Or, these exact hands are the ones that screw me up, everytime.

Iamafish
08-24-2005, 07:43 PM
Any advice?

Jaymick
08-24-2005, 07:50 PM
you have to fold that flop bet bro. i mean hes got you killed. Even if a 9 comes he could easily be holding KJ,AJ,QJ,TJ. I mean you got the perfect runners to give u a CHANCE to win. u still have a great stack if u fold after the flop.

Next time i would reccomend laying that down.

jaymick.

ps. did u end up winning the hand??

TomHimself
08-24-2005, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]what do you think?

i make a continuation bet on flop and fold to a reraise

Iamafish
08-24-2005, 07:58 PM
Ofcourse not. And I knew I wouldn't.

Its always like that after I lose a hand. I pretty much know what I did wrong, which is why I don't post often.

I just wanted some tips here, becuase I keep getting myself in those situations late in the game, becuase im 'playing for first'.

Im way to aggressive though. But If I tighten up, Blinds kill me.

I guess Im gonna keep hitting them until I work in a grove.

And next time actually THINK while playing key hand like that.

benkahuna
08-24-2005, 08:49 PM
My suggestions:

Try thinking what a few people have told me was the most useful line in Phil Hellmuth's book. Am I beat? If you are, get out.

4 overcards and idiot end of a str8 draw, pretty easy fold. I'd generally fold a pp to more than one overcard. Even with 1, it's very sketchy.

Aggressive is good, but you have to temper your aggression with common sense. I'd try focusing on not forcing it as much and just playing good poker. Don't worry about "playing aggressively" or "playing for first." It seems that thinking has gotten you in a little bit of trouble. You know when you're beaten so just follow your apparently good poker sense.

Focus on this strategy change before the tournament and try to say it to yourself in many hands. That sort of thing, repetition of thought (sort of like self-hypnosis), has helped me. You have some bad automatic sort of habits that you need to break and unless you make a conscious effort, you're not going to be able to break them.

DDBeast
08-24-2005, 10:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]what do you think?

i make a continuation bet on flop and fold to a reraise

[/ QUOTE ]
This is one of the few flops I would checkfold after I raised. If villains loose he'll call the flop with anything but 77/88. Save the chips, and definitely don't call the flop.

08-24-2005, 11:18 PM
How about a slightly bigger pre-flop raise? I like to put in 4.5 to 5.5 times the big blind with pocket 9s. I'm happy picking up the blinds if the bet wins pre-flop. Hopefully the large raise will thin the field so you're heads up.

If the bet doesn't win pre-flop then its all about flop texture. This flop is a truly terrible flop for you. Three overcards. You needed to fold immediately.

However, if the flop is good such as when there is all undercards I'd put in a large pot-sized bet which should win the hand right there. With the big pre-flop raise you will win 5.5 times the blinds - a solid result.

If there is a single overcard which isn't an ace, I would try a continuation/value bet of three-quarters of the pot.

You can't slowplay because too many cards can beat you on the turn and river.