PDA

View Full Version : Value-Raise?

ebranig
08-24-2005, 06:49 PM
First hand at table (I posted here)

Party Poker 5.00/10.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link (http://www.darksun.lunarpages.com/poker/)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero checks, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4.00 SB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (4.00 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.00 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.00 BB.

thirddan
08-24-2005, 06:51 PM
i would raise preflop and raise the river...

tyler_cracker
08-24-2005, 06:55 PM
Raise/call the river. What hands are you worried about here? His donkbet looks like he's trying to prevent giving you a free card.

thirddan's preflop isolation raise is probably a good idea that i don't use enough.

SmileyEH
08-24-2005, 07:01 PM
raise button!!!!

-SmileyEH

Argus
08-24-2005, 07:10 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]
This is really key to collecting money.

08-24-2005, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain why I want to isolate a MP1 player with a suited gapped connector?

LLL

Argus
08-24-2005, 07:25 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain why I want to isolate a MP1 player with a suited gapped connector?

LLL

[/ QUOTE ]
This is Bob T's answer. (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=&amp;Number=1841399&amp;page=&amp; view=&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=)

You definitely want to play the hand from where you are, and you have a higher EV if you can get it heads up with the blinds' dead money in the pot than if you check and they see a free flop. You also only have to invest half the normal price to raise, so you get these benefits at a much lower price relative to the pot size than you would if you hadn't posted. You also increase your chances of winning the pot when neither of you flop a pair, which happens pretty often.

ebranig
08-24-2005, 07:29 PM
Here's my thinking:

Based on flop and turn I have him on nothing less than a 9 or a flush draw.

If he's got a 9, he probably has my kicker beat. If he has a flush draw he's not calling my river raise.

Thoughts?

Derek in NYC
08-24-2005, 07:31 PM
This is a clear raise on 5th street, and probably a good raise on the turn also.

tyler_cracker
08-24-2005, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

If he's got a 9, he probably has my kicker beat. If he has a flush draw he's not calling my river raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know that he has your kicker beat. He could have 98 or T9 just as easily as Q9/K9/A9. He could also play it this way with TT/88 or 32 or 43. You're ahead of a lot of hands that will call this raise, and unless he has a boat, i don't think he's 3-betting here very often.

Like your subject line says, value-raise, baby! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hoi Polloi
08-24-2005, 08:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's my thinking:

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to be braver here and make the value bet. If you limit your "hand-reading" to worse case only you are going to play weak tight.

Raise pre-flop.

chief444
08-24-2005, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
He posted. MP open limps. It's a pretty safe bet he's not a solid poker player based on that alone. I'd raise J9s here pretty often when I didn't post. The fact that he posted makes it easy.

08-24-2005, 09:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
He posted. MP open limps. It's a pretty safe bet he's not a solid poker player based on that alone. I'd raise J9s here pretty often when I didn't post. The fact that he posted makes it easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) So is this play because you think you can take down the pot with a bet on the flop if it is checked to you?

Or

2) Is this because you think you are actually ahead?

LLL

chief444
08-24-2005, 09:14 PM
I may be ahead. I may not be ahead. Sometimes I'll win with no showdown, yes. Sometimes I'll flop a pair and get paid off. Sometimes I'll fold. Overall I'll make money on it. Basically if you can get heads up against an opponent who makes a lot of mistakes and also get dead blind money in the pot a lot of hands are profitable. The fact that he posted should really expand his range of raising hands here though. With no limper I (and many others) raise any two when posting in CO.

Argus
08-24-2005, 09:56 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Not necessarily. HPFAP advocates tightening your raising standards against a poster, and if Villain recognises Hero as TAG he might do just that. Not that I am advocating Villain's play, but it does not necessarily mean that he is a poor player. I stand by the raise nonetheless.

Hoi Polloi
08-25-2005, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1) So is this play because you think you can take down the pot with a bet on the flop if it is checked to you?

Or

2) Is this because you think you are actually ahead?

LLL

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker is a gambling game. One or both of your scenarios are probable here. You have to understand when you have the best of it and push your edge. Having the best of it does not mean you "know" you have the best of it--that wouldn't be gambling.