PDA

View Full Version : Figuring out where I want to go with my life

lastchance
08-24-2005, 06:46 PM
Meh, I don't know why I'm posting this on an internet forum, but the people here are all older than me, and hopefully, wiser, and also are a lot like me in temperament and the way they think.

Here's my situation right now:
Going to be an HS Senior who's probably going to graduate and finish up his degree.
Personally very interested in game-playing in general, and how to maximize stuff, basic economics, etc.
I'm also introverted, and a bit obsessive, and I'd like to improve my social skills. Also, I'm lazy as hell.
Personally, I'm quite well off, and I can get into a good college pretty easily, though not a great one.

I'm going to be applying for college in a few months, and I kinda need direction on where I should go, what I should do, and if there are any things besides college that I would really enjoy.

Any advice would be very helpful.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
08-24-2005, 07:40 PM
im lazy. being a pro poker player fits well w/ that.

Subfallen
08-24-2005, 08:05 PM
Where precisely did you make those 4k posts? I've never heard of you before. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

mike4bmp
08-24-2005, 08:23 PM
Ever done any volunteer work?
you have to explore your options and decide what suits you....
Since you say that you are lazy I probably wouldn't look into the medical industry...but maybe Academia is your thing...you could go for extensive graduate level research in a subject of your liking...since you say that you are pretty well off then this might be an option for you since it is not a very lucrative profession to be in...I don't know what else lazy people would be good at...I guess you could look into pro poker playing! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sniper
08-24-2005, 08:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, I'm lazy as hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously some things get you excited!

Sniper
08-24-2005, 08:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Where precisely did you make those 4k posts?

[/ QUOTE ]

He posts primarily in the STT forum.

lastchance
08-24-2005, 09:16 PM
zzzz...

Well, I guess I exaggerated my laziness. When I want to get something done, I do it, but my parents/teachers can have a really hard time making me do something I really don't want to do.

Uglyowl
08-25-2005, 01:19 AM
College is great! I hated high school, but I think you will find you will like college a real lot.

HMMM Accounting.. don't really have to talk to many people (usually). No physical labor suits the laziness if that's what you mean. You can space out pretty much when you want.

I can't do the customer service thing I don't think. Gotta be at the top of your game ideally at times specified by others. With accounting, you pick your spots /images/graemlins/smile.gif

captZEEbo1
08-25-2005, 08:27 PM
I have a feeling you will struggle in college unless you change your attitude. You're gonna have to find SOME motivation to continue doing well in college.

Rasputin
08-25-2005, 09:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Meh, I don't know why I'm posting this on an internet forum, but the people here are all older than me, and hopefully, wiser, and also are a lot like me in temperament and the way they think.

Here's my situation right now:
Going to be an HS Senior who's probably going to graduate and finish up his degree.
Personally very interested in game-playing in general, and how to maximize stuff, basic economics, etc.
I'm also introverted, and a bit obsessive, and I'd like to improve my social skills. Also, I'm lazy as hell.
Personally, I'm quite well off, and I can get into a good college pretty easily, though not a great one.

I'm going to be applying for college in a few months, and I kinda need direction on where I should go, what I should do, and if there are any things besides college that I would really enjoy.

Any advice would be very helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]

After high school, take a year or two off and work for a living for a while then go to school. You'll appreciate school more and do better as a result.

And by work for a living, I mean at a real job, not poker.

mcozzy1
08-25-2005, 09:42 PM
Don't worry about finding a direction yet. Go to college for a couple of years and keep playing poker. See what classes you like and what classes you don't. If you really like a subject you'll probably meet a few friends in those classes.

What's the financial situation for college? If you're going on your parents dime, then you'll have tons of free time and college will be a blast. If you've got to play poker to pay bills, that could be a bit of drag with classes and everything; but if you like games, it's probably no big deal.

Don't put too much pressure on yourself until maybe halfway through your sophmore year of college. You'll be a different person then.

You'll find people in college who are as introverted as you, you can get together and play some video games or something.

PairTheBoard
08-26-2005, 03:19 AM
Get a Real Estate License and sell Real Estate.

Or......

PTB

tongni
08-26-2005, 03:47 AM
Join a fraternity. Shop around.

SittingBull
08-26-2005, 06:24 AM
reason?
SittingBull

KaneKungFu123
08-26-2005, 07:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Join a fraternity. Shop around.

[/ QUOTE ]

man, thats good advice.

mattw
08-26-2005, 08:01 AM
all great advise in this thread.

in the movie rounders, prof petrosky(sp) states destiny chooses us. it took me along time and many various jobs, both professional and menial, to learn this.

try everything and anything you want and dont be afraid to fail. you will find your niche.

Mikey
08-26-2005, 08:17 AM
Bull where have you been!!! I missed you!! I haven't seen you in a long time!! How are things?

TStoneMBD
08-26-2005, 09:58 PM
you sound a hell of alot like me last chance and im in a similiar situation to yours except that im 20 and not planning on going to college. however, lately i have been contemplating the significance of college and its quite possible i might choose to attend in the future. although, i just really cant see myself going through the process of doing all the homework and papers. its just not going to happen. i wont do them.

as a result, i am planning to start attending lectures in my area. in high school, i really enjoyed listening to intelligent teachers talk and learned alot through that method. i think that will carry over to collegiate lectures.

aside from the fact that our personality traits seem very similiar, i am also in a position in which i am not sure what directly i want to follow in life. if you come to a point in which you have decided what matters to you in life and how you are going to achieve your goals, please let me know through pm. i think your realizations might help me a good deal.

good luck.

xniNja
08-26-2005, 10:13 PM
We must all be related... sounds like me too.. I'm in college now, go if you can, why not? You can slack off and play poker all the same, like I do, and at least have a potential degree to back you up.

I was the ultimate successful slacker in high school, it's just as doable in college... it's worth it, I think.

lastsamurai
08-27-2005, 07:38 AM
GO to college.. milk the system...play hold em online ...get laid as much as you can...

Um... Up to you to join a fraternity...but dont let it screw up your grades...

and get laid!

Newt_Buggs
08-27-2005, 06:11 PM
Don't mean to be repetitive, but i did what the above resopnses recommended and its working out fine. I didn't really have any direction after high school so I just went to college. As long as you can afford it and you're willing to put in at least some work its probably your best choice.

Oh yeah, and it doesn't really matter where you go. I figured that out AFTER working really hard for 4 years in high school and getting into a prestigious university.

Myst
08-27-2005, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah, and it doesn't really matter where you go. I figured that out AFTER working really hard for 4 years in high school and getting into a prestigious university.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. And I go to an Ivy League school.