PDA

View Full Version : Reading hands based on betting

JC_Saves
08-24-2005, 06:14 PM
I have been trying to work on my reads a lot more in regard to what people have when they bet certain ways, and I must say it has really changed my game for the better.

The following hand is an example that I wanted to run by everyone to try and get a consensus.

I raised preflop because we were not really a full table and I wanted to represent that I had a big hand in case the flop was nasty.

With the flop coming 3 to a flush I wanted to make it very expensive for someone to draw out on me, and I wanted to gather a little information with my big bet.

Is this type of over the top bet commonly seen in people that are totally on a draw? After all why would anyone want to chase me away when I am betting into them. This situation came up several times during this situation and I think in every single case they did not have a made hand and were trying to draw to something. Especially late when the stacks were getting pretty big and people were making some wild all in moves.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

BB (t3453)
UTG (t8400)
<font color="#C00000">Hero (t4060)</font>
MP2 (t2711)
CO (t2445)
Button (t5101)
<font color="#C00000">SB (t7125)</font>

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t450</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls t375, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t1050) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t750</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t6675</font>, Hero ?

Hand 2 Much Later
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t1200 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG (t29775)
UTG+1 (t53150)
MP1 (t16778)
MP2 (t16396)
CO (t35198)
<font color="#C00000">Hero (t54552)</font>
SB (t19743)
<font color="#C00000">BB (t22730)</font>

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t4000</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls t2800.

Flop: (t7325) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t18655 (All-In)</font>, Hero ?

Matador225
08-24-2005, 06:25 PM
What are your reads on the villain? Is he capable of moving all in with the ace of clubs? I think that is a pretty likely scenario so I think you have to call especially considering you have committed more than 1/4 of your stack. Even if he has the flush already you are not a huge underdog.

Bco1/75
08-24-2005, 06:50 PM
I think the even though the the flops are both "made" flushes, your ability to call are quite different. In the first even with a made flush you have 10 outs, most likely he does not think you hit anything and he put you on big cards. In the second the caller could have KQ,AK (no spade),or a made flush. Call the first and Dump the second. Theres still a lot of poker to be played if you fold the second.

JC_Saves
08-24-2005, 07:39 PM
the second hand I thought it was a very easy call because of his huge all in bet. I just didn't see him with a made flush there doing that.

Both of the above hands were drawing to the flush with the Ace

Dave D
08-24-2005, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the even though the the flops are both "made" flushes, your ability to call are quite different. In the first even with a made flush you have 10 outs, most likely he does not think you hit anything and he put you on big cards. In the second the caller could have KQ,AK (no spade),or a made flush. Call the first and Dump the second. Theres still a lot of poker to be played if you fold the second.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah definatly the first hand is an easier call. Villian is very unlikely to have flopped a flush, he most likely has the A or K. If that's the case you've got 10 outs, and 1 of his clubs will be tainted on the river.

In the second situation that's a fold PF. There's no need to be taking such risks, even if you are ahead on his flush draw. He could also have a better made hand.

JC_Saves
08-26-2005, 05:59 PM
The second hand is quite obviously a blind stealing hand. K7 is a fine hand to try and steal the blinds with.

Once the flop came and he went all in like he did, it was abundantly obvious to me that he was chasing and did not have anything to speak. Why try and scare me away so harshly? Why would a made flush bet this way? Would he do this to protect his hand? I don't think so, why risk your tournament against someone that could have the flush themselves, that is unless you hold the Nut Ace so that you still have some outs to win if called, which makes a lot more sense than I am way behind.

Easy call on both hands to tell you the truth. I see a lot of this type of betting and I use to fold to a lot of it, but now I tend to call a lot more of these, and surprise surprise, they are chasing something, and more often than not miss.