PDA

View Full Version : Line check please

JC_Saves
08-24-2005, 06:08 PM
This is a satellite where top 3 advance to second round satellite. I have been trying to take advantage of more situations where I am probably ahead of the wide range of hand possibilities of people that go all in to increase my stack.

Is this just a no brainer here? I know KQ offsuit is not a powerhouse hand, but against a short stack who is desperate is this a play easily worth making? If I call I would go all-in to isolate the short stack.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG (t3453)
MP1 (t8400)
<font color="#C00000">Hero (t5095)</font>
CO (t2861)
<font color="#C00000">Button (t1035)</font>
SB (t5176)
BB (t7275)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t150, CO calls t150, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t1035</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls ?

Bco1/75
08-24-2005, 07:09 PM
I wouldn't assume that the short stack (button) is desperate yet. He can fold 11 more hands for 1/4 of his stack. In this situation he probally has at least Ax, right? Losing would put you at 4k and him at 2.3k....eh boarderline. I would probally let him and the other SS tangle. Anyone agree?

Dave D
08-24-2005, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a satellite where top 3 advance to second round satellite. I have been trying to take advantage of more situations where I am probably ahead of the wide range of hand possibilities of people that go all in to increase my stack.

Is this just a no brainer here? I know KQ offsuit is not a powerhouse hand, but against a short stack who is desperate is this a play easily worth making? If I call I would go all-in to isolate the short stack.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG (t3453)
MP1 (t8400)
<font color="#C00000">Hero (t5095)</font>
CO (t2861)
<font color="#C00000">Button (t1035)</font>
SB (t5176)
BB (t7275)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t150, CO calls t150, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t1035</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls ?

[/ QUOTE ]

How many left until FT?

I would not have called in the first place due to position unless the table has been really passive PF and I'd be confident there would be 3 other people seeing the flop *and it wouldn't get raised PF*. The second condition being the more important one by far. Calling this hand puts you in the bad situation of exactly what happened. If someone raises, or pushes, you're going to have to probably call and mess around when you have a big stack. I'd consider playing KQ in maybe 1 off from the CO or better.

Now that you called I think you have to call the push. I would *not* raise here and hope for the other limper to be in the pot with me. The pusher is a small stack sure, but he's probably pushing knowing that you're likely to call, I think more often than not you will be a dawg to an A or a pair. Either way, you're losing money on it being heads up in the long run. What hands do you have beat, KJ, KT?

I call and hope the other guy also calls, then play it from there and bet any flop with a K or a Q.

edit: Yeah I just looked at the pot odds, I guess you're getting about 1.8:1 or so, which isn't as bad as I originally thought, but it's still fairly marginal. You're 60/40 against Ax and 55/45 against a pair, so pushing is basically EV neutral at best, nevermind if he has AQ, AK, KK or AA (though not likely). The more I think about it, the more I really doubt villian would push his stack with two undercards unless he's a total idiot.

JC_Saves
08-25-2005, 11:24 AM
This is actually pretty far from bubble. the table was just short two players waiting to condense tables. We were very far from the bubble, about half way at this point.

I felt that at worst I am probably a slight dog, but I thought that I could be ahead of him quite a bit as well. I raised all in to isolate the short stack.