PDA

View Full Version : Sit-down decision

Diplomat
04-07-2003, 08:56 PM
These two simple events occured on saturday night and got me thinking. The game is a loose-ish 20-40 game, not too bad at all.

A new player sat down on my right, and tossed 20 one hundred dollar bills down on the table. The dealer asked him if he wanted any tigers, and he refused, asking for only red chips.

A few rounds later, a different player who had won a few hands off of a fairly small stack asked the dealer to color up most of his reds, keeping his stack very small (maybe three hundred in reds, but much more in higher chips).

So I got thinking about a few questions.

1. What do you think is an appropriate buy-in, in terms of number of big bets? 20 big bets? (800 for 20-40) and why? What would affect your decision to buy more or less?

2. Do you like playing with a big stack or a small stack? Why? (as in a visually big stack -- same $ amount, but different number of chips)

Thoughts/comments welcome.

-Diplomat

DiamondDave
04-07-2003, 09:48 PM
If you wanna look like an action player, but lots of chips. If you wanna look tight, buy very few. If you wanna look normal, do what others seem to be doing. One rack seems pretty standard to me.

Tyler Durden
04-07-2003, 10:06 PM
I think the # of bets to buy in for depends on how aggressive/passive the game is. If the game is a wild one, I'd like to have 30 big bets in front of me. If it's passive, 20 will do. But, I like buying in for 30 pretty much any time. I don't think it can be a bad thing.