PDA

View Full Version : Going back to preflop

08-24-2005, 05:25 PM
While starting to re-read SSHE I came across his preflop hand charts for loose and tight games and realized that I have drifted somewhat from his recommendations. So I just wanted to ask you all a couple questions about preflop strategy.

The game in question would be a moderately tight low limit $2/$4 or $3/$6 game with an average of about 4 players seeing the flop.

Where I seem to have drifted away from this chart is that I never open limp from middle position, I either raise or fold. But this is making me fold hands like A2s and 22 in middle position when no one enters the pot that Miller says to call with.

Should I be limping A2s and 22 in MP when it folds to me? I really don't think those hands are strong enough to be raising that early but let me know I'm interested to know what others are doing in these situations.

TheHip41
08-24-2005, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
While starting to re-read SSHE I came across his preflop hand charts for loose and tight games and realized that I have drifted somewhat from his recommendations. So I just wanted to ask you all a couple questions about preflop strategy.

The game in question would be a moderately tight low limit $2/$4 or $3/$6 game with an average of about 4 players seeing the flop.

Where I seem to have drifted away from this chart is that I never open limp from middle position, I either raise or fold. But this is making me fold hands like A2s and 22 in middle position when no one enters the pot that Miller says to call with.

Should I be limping A2s and 22 in MP when it folds to me? I really don't think those hands are strong enough to be raising that early but let me know I'm interested to know what others are doing in these situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the game. If you limp, and you get isolated everytime, then I wouldn't limp. If it's a passive game, and you limp in MP2, and get 3 callers after you, that's ok.

Just depends on the aggressiveness of the game.

That said, for normal PP 2-4 3-6 games, I'm folding in MP if it's folded to me with 22-44 and A2s-A5s

08-24-2005, 06:35 PM
He also says that its more profitable to assume that the game is loose until you find out otherwise rather than assume its tight. Does this concept apply to passive/agressive as well? In other words when I first sit at a game should I assume it's one way until proven otherwise?

ReadyEddie
08-24-2005, 06:57 PM
The SSHE starting hands charts arent the end of it all.

Read the HFAP preflop section, much more comprehensive.