PDA

View Full Version : How do you know when u are doing well?

DaNoob
04-07-2003, 08:39 PM
I recently read in a poker article somewhere that an EXCELLENT poker player will only average 1.5BB/hour in winnings. Is this true? If so, what kind of stakes do the people that make a living out of poker need to play in order to make that living?

On a tangent to this, I've committed myself to playing micro stakes until I improve enough to merit moving up to bigger tables. How many BBs/hr should I be averaging to justify a move upwards?

/forums/images/icons/confused.gif Very curious stuff indeed.....

RockLobster
04-07-2003, 11:18 PM
I've committed myself to playing micro stakes until I improve enough to merit moving up to bigger tables. How many BBs/hr should I be averaging to justify a move upwards?

That's been my plan as well.

As far as knowing when to move upwards, some will half-jokingly say that when you're sick of getting sucked-out on by 95o, you're ready to move up. I think the real answer is that you can only learn so much from the micro-limits. Once you're comfortable with what you've learned (see attached link for an excellent post by Bob T), and your bankroll is adequate, give the next level a shot. Note the minor differences as you move up. You're likely to be MORE comfortable with the next level, since players will be a bit more predictable than they are at the lowest levels.

Anyway, check out this link (and thread) and hopefully you'll find something useful here. Good luck...

Bob T's excellent post (http://www.twoplustwo.com/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=smallholdem&Number=217 252&Forum=CatSearch-2&Words=online%20plan%20success&Match=And&Searchpa ge=0&Limit=25&Old=3months&Main=217105&Search=true# Post217252)

RockLobster
04-07-2003, 11:22 PM
- Don't get discouraged if you end up going up, and back down, and back up, etc. This is apparantly a mandatory price to pay for learning this game /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif.
- Ensure that you're comfortable with the stakes, treating each bet as a 'sb' or 'bb', not a dollar amount that is likely to affect how you play.
- Keep decent notes on your sessions and opponents. Online play offers some great tools (my personal favorite is Poker Tracker: Poker Tracker home page (http://www.pokertracker.com)).
- Be sure to post questionable hands here, along with your thought processes. This place is an absolute goldmine, you'll learn a ton.

That's about all for now, I hope it goes well for you.

DaNoob
04-08-2003, 12:58 AM
RL,

Thanks for the advice and the links. I'll be sure to check out both. I read the posts here every day (it beats working) and feel like I've learned a ton already.

Maybe we'll run into each other on the tables one of these days..

In the meantime, best of luck....

LondonBroil
04-08-2003, 09:48 AM
DaNoob, do you happen to play any computer games?

DaNoob
04-08-2003, 04:13 PM
I used to play a lot more before I started playing poker online. It seems to be chewing up most of my free time lately.

Why?

JohnShaft
04-08-2003, 07:22 PM
I used to play a lot more before I started playing poker online.
Same.

It seems to be chewing up most of my free time lately.
Why?
Because it's pretty damn hard to make money playing computer games?

cferejohn
04-08-2003, 07:23 PM
I think he meant "why do you ask", not "why don't I play computer games anymore".

DaNoob
04-08-2003, 07:26 PM
If there were a way to make money playing computer games, I would be a very rich man by now. That, and my girlfriend probably wouldn't give me so much crap about it....

And, Cref, you're right. Was more curious as to why the question was asked (seems a bit random..).

DaNoob
04-08-2003, 07:29 PM
err... Cfer.. I guess Chris would do. Anyhow, I digress.

LondonBroil
04-11-2003, 12:50 PM
Just wondering. I play a game called Subspace every once in a while (Insert shameless plug here) www.subspace.net (http://www.subspace.net) and I thought some guy on there was called DaNoob. After seeing him on last night, it was DeNoob.