PDA

View Full Version : 2 to 1...automatic call ALL THE TIME?

08-24-2005, 04:12 PM
My question is...if two random cards are against two random cards pre-flop in Holdem...is it an AUTOMATIC call if you're getting 2 to 1 odds...? I suspect although the math may be correct...I'd like to know which situations this applies to and which it doesn't...thanks alot!

jba
08-24-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My question is...if two random cards are against two random cards pre-flop in Holdem...is it an AUTOMATIC call if you're getting 2 to 1 odds...? I suspect although the math may be correct...I'd like to know which situations this applies to and which it doesn't...thanks alot!

[/ QUOTE ]

if it's truly random cards vs random cards, it is a coin flip, and it's an automatic call getting 1.00000000000001:1 odds.

spaminator101
08-24-2005, 04:53 PM
yes unless
you have very little money in the pot and someone moves in on you very early in the tourney

Mike Haven
08-24-2005, 04:57 PM
It is silly not to look at your cards before you bet, so there will be few occasions where you will bet a random hand, (any two cards).

The worst hand is 72o. Against a random hand, all in, it needs pot odds of 1.9 to 1 to break even in the long run.

The only time you should even think of calling with a 72o is if the only other player has gone all in pre-flop in the dark and the pot is offering more than 1.9 to 1, or if your call all in of a bet he has made in the dark gives you more than 1.9 to 1 pot odds.

Obviously, these in the dark situations don't occur too often.

Once he has looked at his hand, you can no longer consider his a random hand. He might only go all in if he has at least one card over an 8, or whatever, and your call should take your estimation of his betting standards into consideration. Again, it would be a rare situation, (but, admittedly, possible), where you would conclude that he would bet literally any two cards.

lastchance
08-24-2005, 07:09 PM
Actually, against a random hand, 32o and 42o do the worst.

While 72o is terrible against standard ring game ranges, in a tournament situation, people are pushing ranges that make 72o better than a more coordinated 32o.