PDA

View Full Version : Plan My Itinerary in Europe

RacersEdge
08-24-2005, 03:10 PM
I'm thinking of going to Europe in the near future, say next couple months. I have never been there.

I will probably take a week - maye slightly longer.

I'm probably willing to spend about $2K. I might go with a friend, but I'm leaning towards the "by myself in a foreign country" experience.

All the places there sound intresting to me, but I don't really want a whirlwind tour where I'm constantly rushing to the next city. I was thinking two cities, three tops would be best. I want to have time to experience the city at a deeper level than a rushing tourist.

And given I'm single, any places that have women receptive to American men would score some points.

So give me an itinerary that you think fits my plans.

jackdaniels
08-24-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And given I'm single, any places that have women receptive to American men would score some points.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is the prime concern, stick to eastern europe and you'll do fine.

RacersEdge
08-24-2005, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is the prime concern, stick to eastern europe and you'll do fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like Hungary?

jackdaniels
08-24-2005, 03:17 PM
Sorry, never been to eastern europe. But I did read that Russian mail order bride thread, so I'm guessing you'll do well.

RunDownHouse
08-24-2005, 03:22 PM
I much, much preferred eastern Europe to western in any case. Prague is an awesome city and was easily my favorite... until I went to Budapest. Those two were heads and shoulders above the rest, and I wished I had more time to go through Poland and some other countries. I got an invite to go to the Dalmation Coast, but couldn't make it.

Munich is a great, fun city. Berlin, while interesting to see the differences between east and west, was way too big. Biggest city in the world, area-wise. Madrid is ok, I guess it would have been better for someone more into clubbing all hours of the night. Madrid's museums are fantastic, though. Amsterdam is pretty obvious. Paris was beautiful and very, very expensive.

Next time I go, I'm going to go through Ireland, since I haven't been yet, then skip straight to Munich and head east.

ElSapo
08-24-2005, 03:31 PM
Barcelona is probably my favorite European city so far. Prague is absolutely gorgeous, but language may be more of a barrier there. (Ok, Barcelona has two languages you may not understand, but you'll have more luck with English in a bind). Dublin is a great place to party...

A lot of it really just depends on what you want.

kenberman
08-24-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking two cities, three tops would be best. I want to have time to experience the city at a deeper level than a rushing tourist.

[/ QUOTE ]

you should go to 2 places, maximum. it really just depends what you want to do, and what you want to see.

Paris is one of the world great cities, by any measuring stick. It is also expensive - very expensive compared to Eastern Europe. if you are into food and wine, it simply can't be beat.

Amsterdam - and London - are only a few hours away of easy traveling from Paris, and you should be able to fly in/out of these different cities pretty easily.

A Paris/Amsterdam or Paris/London itinerary would be good.

xadrez
08-24-2005, 03:38 PM
Since your going in the Winter, stay in the warmer parts of Europe.

Start in Lisbon (Portugal) and and then continue through Spain to Barcelona. You can do the entire trip by train.

Or, Start in the South of France and end in Italy.

Or, start in Sicily and then go by ferry to Greece.

RacersEdge
08-25-2005, 10:50 AM
What about Austria? I never hear much that country as a place to visit. Given I'm 25% Austrian, I might be interested.

KaneKungFu123
08-25-2005, 10:51 AM
go to east europe, maybe bosnia or poland.

KaneKungFu123
08-25-2005, 10:56 AM
i didnt realize he was going in the winter. kinda goofy time to go to europe.

but my initial response to you was ask: 2k wont go to far in s.france, will it?

RunDownHouse
08-25-2005, 11:07 AM
Austria's nice. Vienna is cool for some of the historic stuff, but if you're only going to one city in that general region, I'd go to Munich over Vienna or Salzburg.

Macdaddy Warsaw
08-25-2005, 11:08 AM
I don't want to go through the responses. I've been to Italy twice, Greece, Poland, Austria, and the CR. Prague was by far the most beautiful city (yes, Italy has a bunch of nice ones, but Prague has atmosphere you can't beat)...Krakow runs a close second with several Italian cities close behind. With 2k, I think a Prague stop and a Krakow stop is unbeatable. Also Czech and Polish women are hot...seriously...

08-25-2005, 11:11 AM
Go to Ukraine or Romania. Those chicks are unbelievable.

gulebjorn
08-25-2005, 11:16 AM
I just got back from Paris last week. Went there for three days, and it was awesome. By far the most beautiful city I've ever visited. But it is expensive. I think 5 days of Paris would be a good tradeoff between taking it easy / not spending too much money.

Went to Prague like 10 years ago, don't remember a thing about it.

I'd include Spain. I love that country as well. Everyone is so relaxed, paella is delicious, weather is great...

stigmata
08-25-2005, 11:19 AM
You should really make it 2 weeks if going all that way. If going in winter I would suggest going south, unless you can put up with grey/raining weather on your holiday.

I would suggest some combination of mediterranean countries - Spain/Italy/Greece. Some combination of Venice/Athens/Barcelona/Madrid/Florence/Rome etc. Although saying that, the weather won't be that great in many of these places, to be honest....

SmileyEH
08-25-2005, 11:36 AM
I'm leaving for London on the 6th, probably be in Europe for about 2 months. No idea where I'm going to go, but I'm really looking forward to it.

-SmileyEH

KaneKungFu123
08-25-2005, 11:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to go through the responses. I've been to Italy twice, Greece, Poland, Austria, and the CR. Prague was by far the most beautiful city (yes, Italy has a bunch of nice ones, but Prague has atmosphere you can't beat)...Krakow runs a close second with several Italian cities close behind. With 2k, I think a Prague stop and a Krakow stop is unbeatable. Also Czech and Polish women are hot...seriously...

[/ QUOTE ]

reading this makes you think how much US sucks ass.

Shajen
08-25-2005, 11:46 AM
I dunno, but if I were you, I'd go to a place where they like American men.

RiverFenix
08-25-2005, 12:43 PM
Munich -> Prague -> budapest

cwsiggy
08-25-2005, 02:01 PM
Ditto Prague! You must go there. Amsterdam of course. I concur with the 2 cities max advice. If that is the case and youhave say 7-8 days. Do London/Amsterdam or Munich/Prague.

Frequitude
08-25-2005, 05:12 PM
I just got back from living in Vienna for a year. For a bit of a whirlwind tour, I suggest this.

Prague is super cheap. Not only buying things there, but I flew home out of Prague because it was $1500 cheaper than from Vienna. Most people will speak english if you need.

Budapest has smoking hot chicks. Seriously, it's something they eat there...every chick's body is tiiiiiiiight. It's also pretty cheap. I happened to be there during the Hungarian GP which was cool.

If you ski/snowboard, Innsbruck is awesome. They had the olympics twice, enough said.

Munich is a party. Go to the Hofbrauhaus.

Vienna is a beautiful city. It was my favorite looking city of all I saw over there.

That sort of sums up good eastern European cities, and I'm sure people can tell you enough about western Europe (Barcelona, Paris, Amsterdam, London, etc.)

For an itinerary, I would recommend:
Prague-Munich-Vienna-Budapest-Prague, all on the train. You should be able to do that for $2000. If you want, throw Innsbruck in there between Munich and Vienna.