PDA

View Full Version : Should I Move? (long)

LetYouDown
08-24-2005, 02:50 PM
I was born and raised in Western New York. Lived here until I was 20, then I moved to Florida (mostly to get away from an ex-girlfriend), but also because I needed a change. My parents moved there after I was done with high school and I moved down and stayed with them for a while. I was in love with a girl and things didn't work out, and nothing else in my life seemed to be going right. So, long story short I ended up in Florida for a couple of years. When I was there, I met my current girlfriend. She's the nicest person I've ever met (anyone who knows her feels that way well). She's very attractive, loyal, funny, honest, sweet...basically any good adjective you can use. I love her.

I eventually moved back to New York while we were still dating, mostly because I wasn't a big fan of Florida and once again felt like I needed a change. We stayed together through all of this and she moved up here after about 9 months apart. She got an apartment with a bunch of our mutual friends up here, but eventually that relationship turned sour and the girls she was rooming with stabbed her in the back. Without many other options, she moved in with me. She was living with me for about 2 months when her life became overwhelming. She started to get homesick, she missed her family, her job sucked, she felt like her life was going nowhere, etc. Typical mid-life crisis stuff at age 24. We also hadn't been getting along well because we saw each other constantly and I also had a tendency to be an [censored] more often than not.

We're still together, but she's in Florida now and neither of us knows if she's going to be moving back. She needs to get her head on straight and she needs to be with her family now. I don't want to lose her, but I'm not sure if moving back to Florida will be the best thing for me. She's definitely the most important person in my life, but I don't want to move to Florida and hate it for another 2 years and just waste more time. I came up with a top 7 pros/cons of moving/staying, they are as follows:

Pros for moving to Florida:

1.) Her
2.) A change, which I desperately need.
3.) No winter (this can't be underestimated)
4.) No state income tax/better job market
5.) Better night life
6.) Nice apartments
7.) Attractive women (at least something nice to look at)

Pros for staying:

1.) I would miss my family
2.) Family has a summer home nearby where I have a lot of friends that I would miss.
3.) My grandmother is getting on in years and health is deteriorating.
4.) School would be more expensive (I'd be out of state for a year)
5.) People are just "different", not as personable from what I've noticed.
6.) It doesn't feel like home
7.) I'd feel severely alienated from friends/family that are here if I move.

RunDownHouse
08-24-2005, 02:57 PM
Considering that you moved to Florida because you "needed a change," then moved back to NY because you "needed a change," and are now contemplating moving again "for a change," maybe what you need to change is something other than physical location.

LetYouDown
08-24-2005, 02:59 PM
I couldn't really agree more. Just had a conversation with another 2+2er over the phone and that was one of the conclusions I came to. I really have no direction in my life right now. She's the only thing I really care about.

swede123
08-24-2005, 02:59 PM
Just based on your list of pros, I'd say go to Florida. Your reasons for staying #1,2,3,6,7 are essentially versions of the same reason. Unless being around your close friends/family is more important than anything else I'd say the reasons for leaving win out.

Swede

Soul Daddy
08-24-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
She's the only thing I really care about.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you just answered your own question.

jakethebake
08-24-2005, 03:01 PM
Where in FL were yopu before? Where would you be moving this time?

RunDownHouse
08-24-2005, 03:02 PM
Did you have this conversation over GoogleTalk, by chance?

LetYouDown
08-24-2005, 03:04 PM
I was in Sarasota, FL (just south of Tampa)...I'd be moving to the same area. Not exactly party central, but very nice area and only 1/2 hour out of Tampa...2 hours to Orlando...few hours to Miami.

Briefly discussed it via Google Talk, why do you ask? The conversation continued via phone.

Derek in NYC
08-24-2005, 03:07 PM
My (now) wife and I did a long-distance relationship for a year. Then I moved to Houston to be with her. We got married 3 years later. Moving to Houston was the best decision I ever made, and its not close.

LetYouDown
08-24-2005, 03:14 PM
Do/did you like Houston? Did the city affect how you feel about the decision afterward, or was being with her enough reason, regardless of whether you like(d) the town or not? I don't really like Florida very much, but I love her...and that might just be something I'm willing to live with.

kurosh
08-24-2005, 03:19 PM
Don't base big life decisions around a woman. Even if you love her, they will come and go. They are very fickle. What if she breaks up with you? You'll have moved to Florida for nothing. You'll be upset and bitter towards her. You'll have lost everything you had back home. It will all have been a big mistake and there goes two years of your life.

That said, I would probably go.

LetYouDown
08-24-2005, 03:23 PM
Haha, I needed that. I've based a lot of decisions in my life around women and they've almost always been the wrong decisions. Except when it comes to her. She's the first girl I can actually see myself with in the long run...and the first girl that my family has ever really liked as well.

LetYouDown
08-24-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you have this conversation over GoogleTalk, by chance?

[/ QUOTE ]
Now you have me really curious.

08-24-2005, 04:15 PM
When I was living with my ex-boyfriend for about three months and started to feel homesick I knew that he was not the most important person in my life. He followed me, but when I was not behaving the way he wanted me to, he kept on saying that he left everything behind and that I should respect that. That was the end. So think twice before moving.

RunDownHouse
08-24-2005, 04:17 PM
Just curious myself, really. Not a big deal.

LetYouDown
08-24-2005, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I was living with my ex-boyfriend for about three months and started to feel homesick I knew that he was not the most important person in my life. He followed me, but when I was not behaving the way he wanted me to, he kept on saying that he left everything behind and that I should respect that. That was the end. So think twice before moving.

[/ QUOTE ]
Point noted. I realize that I am not the only person in this equation...and that she needs to want me to move as much as I need to want to move. This is a pretty valid insight however, and probably the most thought provoking yet. Thank you.

lighterjobs
08-24-2005, 04:23 PM
plan b: kill yourself

08-24-2005, 04:33 PM
You are always welcome /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ThisHo
08-24-2005, 04:42 PM
I voted move based on your list of pros/cons. I do find it amusing that you listed "her" as #1 and "attractive women" as #7... gotta have a backup plan I guess. I'm not saying its wrong, just find it amusing. "I love her, AND there are a ton of hot chicks for me to oggle!"

Anyhow, it seems clear that you really want to move but don't want to piss off your family. Family will usually understand and will likely always be there for you (its not always the case, but sounds like you've got a pretty solid fam).

My suggestion for what to change:

[ QUOTE ]
We also hadn't been getting along well because we saw each other constantly and I also had a tendency to be an [censored] more often than not.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you guys don't get along when you lived together and if its because you're an ass then stop being an ass. If there are real compatability issues then reconsider moving.

~ThisHo

schwza
08-24-2005, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but she's in Florida now and neither of us knows if she's going to be moving back. She needs to get her head on straight and she needs to be with her family now

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you should give her some time to get her [censored] together and then go down there.

LetYouDown
08-24-2005, 09:03 PM
Thanks to both of you and everyone else. I still haven't made a decision, I will be speaking with her shortly. Problem is, I'm on a time crunch...and I know that decisions made on time crunches are almost never correct...but that's what I have to work with this time.

I have about 2 weeks to figure this out because I need a place to live. It will either be 2 miles away from where I live now, or 1302 miles away. Only time will tell. Thanks for the insight...I actually had her read this thread. Hopefully we both gleaned something from it.

08-24-2005, 09:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I actually had her read this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your play, not BIMO.