PDA

View Full Version : Guy raises me and I fold, check-raises me the next hand.

hemstock
08-24-2005, 01:32 PM
Villain was LAP

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">8 folds</font>.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 7.25 BB

I betted the turn and I would bet the river as well planning to fold on a raise.

The very next hand.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, CO folds.

Turn: (4.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero ?

Hm... what am I doing here? Does this guy think he's found a pattern that every time he reraises me I'm going to fold? Normally it would be an easy fold right? But could he be possibly playing me here? Should I ever call this down?

davelin
08-24-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I betted the turn and I would bet the river as well planning to fold on a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure about this.

gharp
08-24-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Hero is UTG with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The very next hand.

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]
I gotta find the poker room you play at where you're UTG one hand and then the very next hand you're on the button. Blinds-free poker!

As for the hand, I'd just fold. I'm not even sure I'm betting the turn in that second hand -- KQ has a bit less showdown value than AK so I'm probably going to check behind and hope to connect with the river.

Most bets mean what they look like -- you're probably drawing to a pair in both hands and the pots are small. Wait until you've got something then punish this villain for his insolence when he raises you.

imported_The Vibesman
08-24-2005, 01:45 PM
Did you go from UTG to Button in one hand?

If you do think he's playing you, you might wait for a bit of a better spot for a calldown. He's not necessarily doing this with K-high or worse, he could have a small pair. At some point I would have to look him up, but would hope to have at least one pair when I do.

jrz1972
08-24-2005, 01:56 PM
I'd fold. If he played me, good for him. Next time I'll hit the flop and 3-bet his punk ass.

nomadtla
08-24-2005, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Two hands later .

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP: unless you've found a way to skip the blinds and if so let us know man.

Now as to your question:
First: unless I've seen them play others in a formalized format (read/ adjust to opponents) I don't give them credit for thinking in this way.
Second: If he has discovered that patern in you "super" because he will keep it up when you have pockets, or even when you hit a hand.
Third: I used to leak a lot of chips in these situations only to discover he wasn't playing me he'd hit something. It may be a miserable something that he shouldn't have played in the first place but that's how it goes.

In short, let him think he can run you over and when you have a hand with better showdown value than just high card you can get a few more out of him. Yes I hate giving up pots I built but these pots are tiny. I personally "Nut Peddle" in tiny pots, fight for the big ones.

Duerig
08-24-2005, 02:05 PM
If I had an A in the 2nd hand, I would call down. I have never called down with K high before.

hemstock
08-24-2005, 02:43 PM
Yes indeed that was 2 hands later and here's what happened in between

Same villain is UTG

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">8 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (2.50 SB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 1.75 BB

Villain is now BB

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (3.50 SB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (5.75 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 7.75 BB

Results below:
BB had KQo
MP1 has 6c Jc (two pair, sixes and fours).
Outcome: MP1 wins 7.75 BB.

detruncate
08-24-2005, 02:50 PM
It's tempting to want to make a move here, but having K-high isn't an ideal time for it. Probably not a huge difference between a strong A and a K as I expect him to have a pair most of the time, but I'd still prefer to be closer to the nut no pair if I'm going to play back at him. The move would be to 3-bet in position with the intent of taking a free showdown, and it makes sense if you're tempted to call down anyway... but I'd usually just call the raise and fold the river UI.

Attributing complex thought processes to your opponents can be costly when it leads to overplaying. You don't have much info from only 2 hands. It's entirely possible that he just flopped or turned well both times.

I also don't mind so much when he takes shots on the turn when I've got a reasonable hand -- I'm at least calling down, and it just ends up helping me extract extra value. We can 3-bet the turn or call and raise the river with a strong hand. Or we can just call down with a medium/strong hand and like that he probably overplayed the turn.

Of course, you're going to have to take a stand at some point if it keeps happening. I'd wait until I was in position with a hand that would probably beat a good % of his bluffs. Or you could just switch tables. Unless you're at a particularly good one, there's no real reason to choose one over another. Or best of all, learn to flop better. It's a very useful skill with all sorts of practical applications.