PDA

View Full Version : Why do you buy used CD's?

cassette
08-24-2005, 01:18 PM
In this modern era of all music being free if you spend the time on the web, why do people still buy used CDs? I spend a decent chunk of change buying new stuff from artists that I want to support. But the artists get none of my money from a used CD purchase.

The only reason I could see for logically buying used CD's is if you are trying to help out the person or store selling them. Other than that, seems silly.

beernutz
08-24-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In this modern era of all music being free if you spend the time on the web, why do people still buy used CDs? I spend a decent chunk of change buying new stuff from artists that I want to support. But the artists get none of my money from a used CD purchase.

The only reason I could see for logically buying used CD's is if you are trying to help out the person or store selling them. Other than that, seems silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, suppport a local (likely small) business vs. steal intellectual property. Tough choice.

cassette
08-24-2005, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Hmm, suppport a local (likely small) business vs. steal intellectual property. Tough choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not valid. You should support the local business and local musician buy purchasing new music.

Besides, isn't buying a used CD pretty much the same idea as downloading as far as the artist is concerned? They are not getting a cut.

Slow Play Ray
08-24-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you buy used CD's?

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif i don't...

mythrilfox
08-24-2005, 01:46 PM
Because I lost everything at poker and can't afford new cds.

Al P
08-24-2005, 01:47 PM
Why should I be forced to keep something I no longer want? (sounds like marriage)

And why should I be forced to only buy a product in new condition?

cassette
08-24-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why should I be forced to keep something I no longer want? (sounds like marriage)

[/ QUOTE ]

What?

Go ahead and sell your CDs if you want. I just don't get why people buy them.

You don't have to buy only new things. I'm just saying that if you are not going to buy it new, I see no logical reason to not download it.

Indiana
08-24-2005, 01:58 PM
I use iTunes because everytime I go to one of those cheap ass sites for free music I get some kind of virus on my CPU. Also, I don't know of any good free sites.

Do Educate if you will,

Indy

david050173
08-24-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What?

Go ahead and sell your CDs if you want. I just don't get why people buy them.

You don't have to buy only new things. I'm just saying that if you are not going to buy it new, I see no logical reason to not download it.

[/ QUOTE ]

One is illegal and the other is legal. Seems like a pretty logical reason to me.

chesspain
08-24-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In this modern era of all music being free if you spend the time on the web...

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you forget to add "and you are a thief?"

jakethebake
08-24-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So your sole purpose for buying a CD is to support a musician? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

MrMon
08-24-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not valid. You should support the local business and local musician buy purchasing new music.

Besides, isn't buying a used CD pretty much the same idea as downloading as far as the artist is concerned? They are not getting a cut.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and I suppose you also oppose the buying and selling of used cars because auto workers don't get a cut. All houses should be be burned to the ground rather than being resold so construction workers have jobs. Same with anything antique.

If you want to support a local artist, go to their concerts. Artists get very little from CD sales. That all goes to the music industry, perhaps the most corrupt industry on Earth.

beernutz
08-25-2005, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you've really thought this through or else you're just being argumentative. The artist has received a cut of the original CD sale (although probably a pitifully small percentage). The person buying the used media, which is perfectly legal AFAIK, is doing nothing illegal or unethical. Note the word 'buying', which differentiates this from illegal downloading of the same content without the artist ever receiving a red cent. The artist did receive a cut of the original CD sale, as they are entitled. What happens to the CD media after the inital sale is not relevant to the artist, just like as someone pointed out in another response that a home builder/architect is not entitled to a cut of the sale price of a house after the original one. Relate this purchase of used media to an illegal download where the artist gets nothing--Ever--and I don't see how the two can be compared.

siccjay
08-25-2005, 12:24 AM
I buy used CDs because they are cheaper.

I also buy them to resell them for major profit.

tdarko
08-25-2005, 12:41 AM
to cassette and beernutz,

i commend your efforts for wanting to help the artist etc. but i if my cd gets taken out of my car from one of my friends and then lost, or it gets cracked, or scratched beyond repair i am not going to buy a brand new cd. why? because i will buy the cheaper used one. why? for myself, maybe thats selfish but oh well so are the record company's that sell those cd's for 18 bucks when it's clearly not worth that.

as for dl'ing music, i think that is even worse b/c nobody benefits from this. at least the small independent business' get something from my purchases.

garyjacosta
08-25-2005, 01:05 AM
I tend to listen mostly to bands on indie labels. Therefore, I usually purchase my CDs directly from the label. That way they are getting all of the profit.

I do think "stealing" songs via Morpheus/Kazaa/Etc. has some value.... It's just hard to quantify and limit it. There are many a band I have become a hardcore fan of thanks to the 2 or 3 songs of theirs I "stole" in this manner. I usually proceed to purchase most of these bands collections from their websites.

DarkForceRising
08-25-2005, 01:17 AM
Sometimes by impulse- other times because said disc is hard to find and I don't want to wait for it by special order.

My 1BB per hour income is also a consideration.

Clarkmeister
08-25-2005, 01:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you buy used CD's?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they are cheaper, legal and the identical product to the new ones. What's the problem?