PDA

View Full Version : Very bad play?

Jakob
08-24-2005, 12:16 PM
Is this insane:

***** Hand History for Game 2589490963 *****
NL Texas Hold'em $20 Buy-in + $2 Entry Fee Trny:15119645 Level:5 Blinds(75/150) - Wednesday, August 24, 12:14:18 EDT 2005
Table Table 14279 (Real Money)
Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 5
Seat 2: Drainlife ( $900 )
Seat 3: sandz2233 ( $3045 )
Seat 5: Curgan ( $455 )
Seat 6: cocodrillo1 ( $2060 )
Seat 7: gthockey6 ( $1540 )
Trny:15119645 Level:5
Blinds(75/150)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Drainlife [ 8s 9s ]
cocodrillo1 folds.
gthockey6 folds.
Drainlife is all-In [900]
sandz2233 folds.
Curgan is all-In [305]
** Dealing Flop ** [ 5s, 7h, Jh ]
** Dealing Turn ** [ 2c ]
** Dealing River ** [ Qs ]
Curgan shows [ Kd, Ts ] high card king.
Drainlife shows [ 8s, 9s ] high card queen.
Drainlife wins 445 chips from side pot #1 with high card queen.
Curgan wins 985 chips from the main pot with high card king.

Hornacek
08-24-2005, 12:17 PM
yes, because BB is a small stack, and will can with anything decent, and maybe anything at all.

unless you've seen that he will fold this BB whilst short-stacked, i'd wait to punish a more-likely-to-fold middle stack.

Jakob
08-24-2005, 12:24 PM
That was kinda my thougts after I had hit the all in button

Ixnert
08-24-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yes, because BB is a small stack, and will can with anything decent, and maybe anything at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's calling with anything at all, this is an easy push. You're actually a favorite against a random hand with 98s (narrowly), and the blinds give you a huge overlay against a stack that small. And I'm pretty sure it's even more +EV if he only calls with decent hands.

If SB is loose, I'd fold in a second, but if I think it's unlikely SB is calling without a premium hand, I'm pushing and not worrying about getting called by the small-stack BB.

pooh74
08-24-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's calling with anything at all, this is an easy push. You're actually a favorite against a random hand with 98s (narrowly), and the blinds give you a huge overlay against a stack that small. And I'm pretty sure it's even more +EV if he only calls with decent hands.

If SB is loose, I'd fold in a second, but if I think it's unlikely SB is calling without a premium hand, I'm pushing and not worrying about getting called by the small-stack BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is wrong IMO. BB is so priced in here youre going to get called a great majority of the time, and 98 is not the hand I want for 1 third (edit-one half) of my stack HU w/o fold equity. (he's calling almost always).

Secondly...by his almost guaranteed call, you are showing down a very mediocre hand and the table is going to be more likely to call your shoves in the future.

I amend what I said...this is horrible advice. No offense bc i often post a response that I later realize is bad. If you disagree with me though, no offense intended.

pooh

Ixnert
08-24-2005, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

this is wrong IMO. BB is so priced in here youre going to get called a great majority of the time, and 98 is not the hand I want for 1 third (edit-one half) of my stack HU w/o fold equity. (he's calling almost always).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I'm saying (ignoring SB for the moment) that I don't mind a call from any two here. 98s is a favorite against a random hand and you're getting 1.2:1 (or so) odds. It's not optimal, but you're short-stacked, you don't have time to look for optimal. Add to that that it's really not quite 100% that you'll be called here (honestly, at most any level, many villains are dropping 32o and the like here), which slightly increases your equity.

To my mind, the future considerations (that if you're forced to show down 98s, your pushes will get less respect later) possibly make this a bad idea, but it's emphatically NOT -EV just considering this hand.

So I'll give you debatable or borderline, but it's definitely not horrible. If current SB has been letting me steal from him (who is BB when I'm SB), I pass on this to keep my FE for those situations. If he hasn't (or if the table has been loose/aggressive enough that I never get the chance), I really need to take any +EV situation I can find, and as marginal as this one is, it *is* +EV even if the shortie is calling with any two.

Jakob
08-24-2005, 05:58 PM
@Ixnert

Very good explanition. You have me convinced that it wasn't as awfull as I first thought