PDA

View Full Version : Ken Warren Teaches Holdem

AmericanAirlines
04-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Anyone have an opinion on this one? Seemed halfway decent when I was leafing through it. Though some ommissions in on table looked glaring to me. (Percentage of the time pairs win didn't seem to be there.)

Sincerely,
AA

Andy B
04-07-2003, 07:47 PM
Without going into a lot of specifics, Warren's book is frequently cited among the worst poker books out there. One thing I remember is that he says that if you notice that people are winning with little cards, you can start playing little cards, because these things go in cycles, y'know?

AmericanAirlines
04-07-2003, 08:11 PM
Hmm... and this guy claims to have been making his living
at poker since 1987?

I must *Really Really* suck, or his book is designed to make fish!

Sincerely,
AA

Andy B
04-07-2003, 08:23 PM
McEvoy and TJ have both been pros longer than that, and they've apparently put out a couple of bad books. I suspect, although I do not know, that Warren is a trust fund pro.

AmericanAirlines
04-07-2003, 08:37 PM
Hi Andy,
He claims to be ex-Air Force. But that doesn't rule out trust funds either.

Interestingly enough, I saw an article by Nolan Dalla that reccomended Warren's earlier book.

Bear in mind I'm not a pro or expert by any means... so am I missing something?

Sincerely
AA

Andy B
04-07-2003, 09:15 PM
Sorry, I guess I misunderstood. I didn't realize that Warren had a new book out. His first book was pretty dreadful. I have a hard time imagining that he's now written a worthwhile book.

I may be off-base here, but it seems to me that Dalla is more of a writer than a poker player--closer to Spanier and Alvarez than to Sklansky and Malmuth. He might not be the best source of advice when it comes to how-to books.

AmericanAirlines
04-07-2003, 09:42 PM
Hi Andy B,
Thanks for the opinion. I'll keep it in mind.

:-)

Sincerely,
AA

Jeffro
04-08-2003, 09:38 AM
While I will agree Warren’s “Winner’s Guide to Texas Hold’em” ranks very far down on the list of poker books, I do think this is an excellent book for beginners if you toss out a couple of pieces of advice. This happens to be the first Hold’em book I ever read and it had me playing as tight as a drum and staying out of marginal situations. I think this is key when you are beginning to play. I think a lot of beginners want to play a lot of hands and many of the advanced books tend to foster this by saying you can play these but the situation must be correct, which the second part they tend to ignore. I didn’t realize he had another book coming out.