PDA

View Full Version : Big Slick vs. small pair

08-24-2005, 11:47 AM
Home game situation PRE-FLOP: I put in a normal 3X BB raise from early position...folds around to one last TIGHT player who puts in a stiff re-raise. I put him on a small to medium pair. Knowing his tendencies, and also knowing I've been pushing him out of many pots, I push all in. He calls without hesitation and shows 66. I lose the race. Let me guess....terrible move on my part and I should have called his large bet and seen a flop????

EStreet20
08-24-2005, 12:26 PM
I'm assuming this is a tourney, and either one of your moves could be considered correct or terrible depending on stack size, time in the tourney etc. In a cash game, hey it's an even money spot so you can approach it either way.

Good luck,
Matt

capone0
08-24-2005, 12:26 PM
If you know he's not going to fold to anything, yes. Your a slight under-dog. I'd see the flop and take it from there, if he can't fold 66 to a large reraise, do it with a big pair, either stack him or double up.

08-24-2005, 02:38 PM
I think you both erred. If he was so tight, I'da put him on a pair, in which case I'd want to see a flop before I broke myself. Better to go out with top pair than an underdog preflop.

I think he made a mistake calling the all-in (depending on how much it was) after all that aggression. He had to know that the 66 was at best 6:5 favorite and at worst 4:1 underdog. If he's a perceptive player and knows you know his table image, that makes the call even worse. In other words, he may have known that you know he had a hand but didn't care because you could beat it anyway. In which case, the sixes look pretty ugly. Anyone else agree with me?

08-25-2005, 04:36 PM
Sometimes you just know you're beat and you have to lay it down.

08-25-2005, 08:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes you just know you're beat and you have to lay it down.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol classic

theWhale
08-26-2005, 01:19 AM
Well, now you know what to do with AA-JJ.

Muck off
08-26-2005, 01:23 AM
im on the verge of folding ak preflop no matter what...worst hand ever.

Black Aces 518
08-26-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
im on the verge of folding ak preflop no matter what...worst hand ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're welcome in my game anytime. I bet you've lost with AA a bunch too, muck em.