PDA

View Full Version : Which state has the worst mosquitoes?

BeerMoney
08-24-2005, 09:48 AM
I've never experienced anything like the mosquitoes in MA. Anyone who live around the country able to give any opinions.

jokerthief
08-24-2005, 09:52 AM
Alaska, no other state comes close.

BeerMoney
08-24-2005, 09:54 AM
Dude, what's with your avatar? Is that real.. Where can i find out more info on that?

mslif
08-24-2005, 09:56 AM
I lived in South FLorida for about 7 years and we have mosquitoes everywhere due to the everglades. Those things are huge too!

jakethebake
08-24-2005, 09:57 AM
South Florida is very bad. I've heard from other people that Alaska is worse.

[ QUOTE ]
I lived in South FLorida for about 7 years and we have mosquitoes everywhere due to the everglades. Those things are huge too!

[/ QUOTE ]

2planka
08-24-2005, 09:58 AM
The mosquitoes have not been bad here in central MA this year, probably due to the dry summer. Never been to AK, but I've heard tales of woe.

My worst experience was in Minnesota. I was hiking there in July one year. The fuckers were biting me through my jeans. That was the worst.

jakethebake
08-24-2005, 10:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My worst experience was in Minnesota.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the other place I've heard was terrible. Gotta be either AK or MN.

SL__72
08-24-2005, 10:20 AM
Minnesota is awful. 15000+ lakes = lots of mosquitos.

NutCrackerr
08-24-2005, 10:37 AM
Definitely Minnesota. I think the mosquito is the state bird there.

lu_hawk
08-24-2005, 10:47 AM
can't you catch west nile from the ones in upstate ny? i think those are worse then.

jakethebake
08-24-2005, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
can't you catch west nile from the ones in upstate ny? i think those are worse then.

[/ QUOTE ]

you can catch this from them a lot of places.

08-24-2005, 10:49 AM
<font color="pink"> </font> Here in South Florida, we have mosquitos big enough to carry small children away...and they are everywhere. The swamp here is like a big mosquito orgy...and they love it. Not only that, but we have tons of other bugs here too.

jakethebake
08-24-2005, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
<font color="pink"> </font> Here in South Florida, we have mosquitos big enough to carry small children away...and they are everywhere. The swamp here is like a big mosquito orgy...and they love it. Not only that, but we have tons of other bugs here too.

[/ QUOTE ]

you created an account just for this?

Ray Zee
08-24-2005, 10:54 AM
thats one reason i picked where i am in montana. lots of outdoor stuff and few mossys. no way will they eat you alive. but a grizzly bear might.

jakethebake
08-24-2005, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
thats one reason i picked where i am in montana. lots of outdoor stuff and few mossys. no way will they eat you alive. but a grizzly bear might.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. But he won't give you West Nile.

08-24-2005, 10:56 AM
I've been reading you guys for a long time...some of you are actually funny

jakethebake
08-24-2005, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where in S. Florida are you?

jason_t
08-24-2005, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My worst experience was in Minnesota.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the other place I've heard was terrible. Gotta be either AK or MN.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have lived in both. Alaska wins and it's not close.

08-24-2005, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where in S. Florida are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

West Palm Beach

jakethebake
08-24-2005, 11:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
West Palm Beach

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool. I'm in the South Miami area.

08-24-2005, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
West Palm Beach

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool. I'm in the South Miami area.

[/ QUOTE ]

sweet you can help me on here then...no idea what i'm doing...need a little picture thingy...gotta meet everyone too

jba
08-24-2005, 11:13 AM
anyone who has never been to alaska should not even reply in this thread. if you've ever seen hitchcock's The Birds it should give you some idea.

jakethebake
08-24-2005, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
sweet you can help me on here then...no idea what i'm doing...need a little picture thingy...gotta meet everyone too

[/ QUOTE ]

clearly the best way to accomplish both of these simultaneously is to start a new thread asking how to add a little picure thingy. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

unlucky513
08-24-2005, 11:16 AM
the worst i've ever been in was portsmouth island in north carolina. it was seriously like something from a movie. i remember my little brother running around crying because he was getting bit so much. it was the worst experience of my entire life.

jason_t
08-24-2005, 11:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
anyone who has never been to alaska should not even reply in this thread. if you've ever seen hitchcock's The Birds it should give you some idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was once running on some cross-country trails in the Birch Hill area north of Fairbanks. I got lost and stopped to look at a trail map. I got so heavily swarmed by mosquitoes while I was stopped that I couldn't concentrate on reading the map. My body had a fight/flight response and I took off running and just ran around on the trails aimlessly until I ran into some other people and asked for directions back to the stadium.

08-24-2005, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

clearly the best way to accomplish both of these simultaneously is to start a new thread asking how to add a little picure thingy. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
right... i'm on it

mlh2e
08-24-2005, 11:21 AM
That's great advice.

08-24-2005, 11:46 AM
So is there any reason to visit Alaska, isn't it freezing cold or full of mosquitos? Is there a time of the year it's decent there?

M2d
08-24-2005, 11:55 AM
I've never been to Alaska, Minnesota or Florida, but, from what I've heard (elsewhere, not here), these are in contention for the worst.
Not that I'm nominating it as the worst, but I think certain parts of Hawaii have to be in contention. for one thing, they are an introduced species in hawaii, so the only natural predators they have there are us slapping away at them. No bats, birds or trout trying to eat them. For another thing, it never gets too cold for them, so they're there 24/7/365. i think I read where mosquitos are physically incapable of flapping their wings in temperatures below 60F or something like that. it gets below that, statewide, maybe three times a year every 5 years or so.

on the plus side, there are no black flies, rattlesnakes, poison oak/ivy or grizzly bears around to mess with you, either.

chesspain
08-24-2005, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Alaska, no other state comes close.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the above. I wonder if it's due to the relative lack of predators?

schwza
08-24-2005, 11:57 AM
McCrory, Ark. has a yearly Mosquito-fest.

I'm just sayin.

jba
08-24-2005, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm just sayin.

[/ QUOTE ]

rednecks do funny things sometimes.

I'm just sayin.

CORed
08-24-2005, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm just sayin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heeney, Colorado has a yearly tick festival.

jason_t
08-24-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So is there any reason to visit Alaska, isn't it freezing cold or full of mosquitos? Is there a time of the year it's decent there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Summer is extraordinarily beautiful in spite of the mosquitos.

Slacker13
08-24-2005, 02:31 PM
I lived in Northern Wisconsin for a summer and the mosquitoes were so thick you could actually see clouds of them. If you stopped walking for a few seconds you would be covered in them. Little bastards.

istewart
08-24-2005, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was once running on some cross-country trails in the Birch Hill area north of Fairbanks. I got lost and stopped to look at a trail map. I got so heavily swarmed by mosquitoes while I was stopped that I couldn't concentrate on reading the map. My body had a fight/flight response and I took off running and just ran around on the trails aimlessly until I ran into some other people and asked for directions back to the stadium.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this the day you realized Alaska sucked and moved to the scenic and wonderful New Jersey?

Bob Moss
08-25-2005, 02:13 AM
I live in Massachusetts too, but I don't think they're too bad. I think New Hampshire is much worse, but then I'm sure other states I haven't been to are worse yet.

whiskeytown
08-25-2005, 02:16 AM
Minnesota

those things are the damned state bird -

RB

edfurlong
08-25-2005, 02:17 AM
If you have never worked on the north slope in alaska during the summer time your opinion holds no weight.

Carry on.

guller
08-25-2005, 10:39 PM
I would also say Minnesota, but I've seen them just as bad in North Dakota.

Minnesota is hands down the worst for ticks though, as soon as I cross the state line I get them on me.

Blarg
08-26-2005, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've never been to Alaska, Minnesota or Florida, but, from what I've heard (elsewhere, not here), these are in contention for the worst.
Not that I'm nominating it as the worst, but I think certain parts of Hawaii have to be in contention. for one thing, they are an introduced species in hawaii, so the only natural predators they have there are us slapping away at them. No bats, birds or trout trying to eat them. For another thing, it never gets too cold for them, so they're there 24/7/365. i think I read where mosquitos are physically incapable of flapping their wings in temperatures below 60F or something like that. it gets below that, statewide, maybe three times a year every 5 years or so.

on the plus side, there are no black flies, rattlesnakes, poison oak/ivy or grizzly bears around to mess with you, either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to put a place that spends time under snow down low. That's what makes me think Hawaii has got to be at or near the top, since it has mosquitos 365/yr. It's also very lush and in many places rains almost every day, giving the skeeters endless places to breed -- standing water all over the place.

I suppose a place like Louisiana might be much the same -- hot, lots of standing water, lots of rainfall, snow is uncommon.

tmoore44
08-26-2005, 01:45 AM
minnesota - 10,000 lakes, 10 trillion mosquitos.

ptmusic
08-26-2005, 01:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I live in Massachusetts too, but I don't think they're too bad. I think New Hampshire is much worse, but then I'm sure other states I haven't been to are worse yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I don't what these guys are talking about with Mass. Keep heading North - MAINE is absolutely brutal in the summer.

I've also been to Alaska in the summer - my experience in Maine was FAR worse.

Maine also has an insane black fly problem for only about two weeks in June - they hunt in swarms and draw blood.

Bugs aside, both Maine and Alaska are in my top 5 states (and I've been in all 50).

-ptmusic

squeek12
08-26-2005, 02:50 AM
Louisiana AINEC